No contact with Real Madrid over Jovic, insists Bobic

By Sports Desk May 04, 2019

Eintracht Frankfurt sporting director Fredi Bobic is adamant that the club have had no contact with Real Madrid over a potential transfer for Luka Jovic.

Reports in Spain had claimed that the two clubs had agreed a €60million deal for the 21-year-old, who has scored 26 goals in 44 appearances across all competitions this season.

Bobic, who said last month that a deal with Madrid is a "real possibility", has denied the claims, though, insisting there have been no discussions.

"There has been no contact with Real Madrid," Bobic told ESPN FC. "For once, I don't have to use a white lie, they really haven't been in touch yet. I know them very well."

The Serbia striker, whose two-year loan from Benfica became permanent in April, has also been linked with a move to Spanish champions Barcelona.

He has become a key player for the Bundesliga side this season and scored in Thursday's 1-1 Europa League semi-final first leg against Chelsea.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Real Madrid to offer €130m and James or Bale for Neymar Rumour Has It: Real Madrid to offer €130m and James or Bale for Neymar

    The race is heating up for Neymar.

    With Paris Saint-Germain reportedly willing to part with the world's most expensive player, two LaLiga giants are set to go head-to-head.

    Will Neymar end up at former club Barcelona or bitter Spanish rivals Real Madrid?

     

    TOP STORY – BARCA AND MADRID FIGHT FOR NEYMAR

    A return to Barcelona and a blockbuster transfer to Real Madrid both appear on the cards for Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar.

    According to Mundo Deportivo, Madrid are reportedly ready to pay €130million for Neymar in a deal which would also include either James Rodriguez or Gareth Bale.

    But Globo Esporte says Neymar – who left Barca for PSG in a €222m transfer in 2017 – is still on track for a Camp Nou comeback.

    It comes after Le Parisien claims PSG want €300m to part with the injured Brazil forward.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Aaron Wan-Bissaka is set to become the world's most expensive full-back as Manchester United negotiate a £55million deal with Crystal Palace, according to the Daily Record. However, talks between the two Premier League sides have dragged on and the Red Devils have identified alternatives, with Sky Sport Italia claiming Napoli's Elseid Hysaj is a target.

    - According to Marca, Atletico Madrid will announce the signing of Benfica sensation Joao Felix on Thursday. The 19-year-old has already undergone a medical and signed his contract ahead of the €120m move.

    Frank Lampard has notified his Derby County squad that he will replace Maurizio Sarri at Chelsea if the right offer arrives, the Mirror reports. Former Chelsea star Lampard is expected to move back to London following Sarri's switch to Juve.

    Paris Saint-Germain outcast Adrien Rabiot is on the verge of signing for Serie A champions Juventus, according to Sportitalia. The French midfielder and free agent has reportedly penned a five-year contract worth €7m plus bonuses, and a €10m signing-on fee.

    - According to the Daily Mail, Inter and Atletico Madrid are both eyeing a move for Southampton full-back Ryan Bertrand.

    Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku has agreed a deal worth £180,000 per week to join Inter, says The Sun. With Lukaku heading for the exit, United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is reportedly eyeing Bournemouth's David Brooks.

    Andre Gomes is on the verge of joining Everton permanently from LaLiga champions Barcelona. Gomes enjoyed a successful loan spell in 2018-19 and a £22m fee has "verbally been agreed", according to the Telegraph.

  • Head coach Dennis Lawrence already putting TT's loss to Panama behind Head coach Dennis Lawrence already putting TT's loss to Panama behind
  • Colombia 1 Qatar 0: Zapata heads in late winner Colombia 1 Qatar 0: Zapata heads in late winner

    Duvan Zapata's late header saw Colombia edge Qatar 1-0 to book their spot in the Copa America quarter-finals on Wednesday.

    Zapata's 86th-minute goal was enough for Carlos Queiroz's men in the Group B encounter after they had struggled to consistently threaten a well-organised Qatar side.

    Radamel Falcao started on the bench and James Rodriguez's impact was limited, at least until the latter set up the winner with a sublime pass.

    Zapata met James' wonderful pass and headed into the far corner to move Colombia onto six points, while Qatar were left on one.

    Colombia had a sixth-minute header by Yerry Mina correctly ruled out for offside against Roger Martinez.

    However, they should have gone ahead in the 13th minute, only for James to steer a header wide after a great Martinez cross from the right.

    Colombia controlled possession – they had 68 per cent in the first half – but struggled to penetrate Qatar's defence.

    The lively Juan Cuadrado forced a comfortable save from Qatar goalkeeper Saad Al Sheeb from distance, while Stefan Medina sliced an effort into the side-netting.

    Colombia thought they had a penalty for a handball by Abdulaziz Hatem to begin the second half, but the decision was reversed after a VAR review.

    Set-pieces continued to look like Colombia's most likely avenue to a goal as Mina headed a corner wide in the 56th minute.

    Martinez squandered one of his side's best chances just after the hour-mark, cutting inside after a good pass from James but shooting low and straight at Al Sheeb.

    Colombia goalkeeper David Ospina was tested twice before Al Sheeb made another fine stop to deny Martinez.

    But Queiroz's men would find their goal, James' wonderfully chipped pass met by Zapata for the match-winner before the latter missed a glorious chance to complete his brace.

     

    What does it mean? Colombia do enough

    Colombia have now made it out of the group stage at the past four editions of the tournament. Despite that, there is plenty of room for improvement going forward.

    Colombia need Falcao to fire

    After a subdued performance against Argentina, Falcao was left on the bench to start the encounter against Qatar. Colombia struggled to have an impact in the attacking third before Zapata's second goal of the tournament. Falcao's last international goal not from the penalty spot came in October last year and the nation's all-time top scorer must step up.

    Qatar continue to show good signs

    The guests and 2022 World Cup hosts came from behind to draw with Paraguay in their opener and this time they almost denied Colombia. Qatar were well-organised and looked threatening on the break at times during the second half, almost doing enough to earn another point.

    What's next?

    The teams complete their group-stage campaigns on Sunday, with Colombia meeting Paraguay and Qatar taking on Argentina.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.