Griezmann not on table for Barca as Bartomeu refuses to rule out De Ligt

By Sports Desk April 15, 2019

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu insisted Atletico Madrid star Antoine Griezmann is not in the club's plans, though he refused to rule out a move for Ajax captain Matthijs de Ligt.

Griezmann was linked with Barca prior to the 2018 World Cup before committing his future to Atletico, however, speculation of a Camp Nou switch has resurfaced.

However, LaLiga champions Barca are not looking to sign the 28-year-old – who is contracted until 2023 – according to Bartomeu.

"[Griezmann] is an Atletico Madrid player and he has a contract [with them]," the Barcelona president told TVE.

"I like that the great players are in Spain because he gives value to LaLiga Santander [which helps], for example, to get sponsors.

"If Griezmann wanted to come, he would have to talk to the coaches, but his name is not on the table.

"There is a lot of speculation in the press, but Griezmann is not on the table and he has not called Barcelona."

One player on Barca's radar is Ajax and Netherlands centre-back De Ligt, who continues to attract interest from Europe's biggest clubs.

Barca have already agreed to sign Ajax star Frenkie de Jong – who will join next season – and Bartomeu's club are reportedly ready to raid the Dutch giants again for De Ligt.

"The signing of De Jong we wanted to do in the summer, but there was a lot of pressure, other teams wanted him and we advanced it," Bartomeu said.

"With Ajax there is a very good relationship. With De Ligt, I do not know what will happen. It seems he will be on the market and when we talk to the coaches we will see if we're in for him or not.

"His way of playing fits us and I like it. Ajax are a training club that sells, but we have not had talks."

Related items

  • Solskjaer warns of centre-back cull if Man United sign Maguire Solskjaer warns of centre-back cull if Man United sign Maguire

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said Manchester United will have to reduce their centre-back options if they prise Harry Maguire from Leicester City.

    United have been linked with Maguire throughout the off-season, reports claiming the Red Devils are close to agreeing a world-record fee for a defender.

    Solskjaer has an array of options in the centre-back area, with Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo and Axel Tuanzebe all on tour in Australia.

    When asked about his stockpile of defenders, Solskjaer told reporters in Perth on Tuesday: "Of course, there's a limit of players.

    "Whoever performs will be part of the team and whoever doesn't has a fight to get back in.

    "There's been loads of speculation but I can't really say anything. We'll work to find a relationship with the ones we've got."

    Tuanzebe, 21, is back with United following an impressive loan spell at Aston Villa, who he helped secure promotion to the Premier League last season.

    Solskjaer, who confirmed Fred, Matteo Darmian and Dean Henderson will join the squad for the next part of their pre-season tour in Singapore, added: "Axel has got a great chance of staying here and playing. He had a great season last year.

    "It was a stop-start season with injuries, but he's really proven that he is capable of playing at that level, he got promoted with Villa and he's come back very strong, focused.

    "He did well in the first game here, so he's one of the young, exciting players that I can't wait to see more."

    United will face rivals Leeds United in Perth on Wednesday following their 2-0 win over Perth Glory on Saturday.

  • Koscielny still an important player for Arsenal – Emery Koscielny still an important player for Arsenal – Emery

    Arsenal head coach Unai Emery insisted Laurent Koscielny was still "an important player" despite uncertainty over the club captain's future.

    Koscielny refused to travel to the United States for Arsenal's pre-season tour amid speculation over his future, with Lyon, Bordeaux and Borussia Dortmund linked with a move for the French defender.

    Emery said the 33-year-old was still part of his plans, but added a decision on Koscielny was in the club's hands.

    "He has one year left on his contract. For me as a coach, he's an important player. Now, it's one matter for him and the club," Emery said after Arsenal's 3-0 win over Colorado Rapids on Monday, via Football London.

    "The club and him need to speak, they are speaking about his situation. I cannot say more than that.

    "I spoke with him before he came here and he decided to stay there."

    Emery revealed he spoke to Koscielny three times about his situation but the centre-back opted against travelling.

    It has been an otherwise quiet close season for Arsenal, who have been linked with moves for the likes of Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha, Celtic defender Kieran Tierney and Real Madrid's Dani Ceballos.

    Emery, whose side finished fifth last season, was remaining calm over potential additions to his squad.

    "The club is working. We are speaking every day with the club and [technical director] Edu. I prefer to work with patience and calm and take the best decision," he said.

    "We have very good players, very young good players. We need someone to help us. The club is working on that.

    "We prefer to take the best decision with patience. If we need to wait more time for this reason I prefer to do that."

  • Solskjaer hopeful over De Gea contract Solskjaer hopeful over De Gea contract

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is hopeful David de Gea will agree a new contract with Manchester United amid reports the goalkeeper is set to re-sign.

    De Gea, 28, is out of contract next year, but reports suggest the Spain international is set to sign a long-term deal worth about £350,000 per week.

    Speaking at a news conference on Tuesday, United manager Solskjaer tried to give little away about De Gea's future.

    "Hopefully we can agree a new contract with David," he said, via the Evening Standard.

    "That will be up to the club and David to announce."

    De Gea has been one of several United players linked with a move away, along with the likes of Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku.

    Pogba is reportedly a target for Real Madrid, while Lukaku has been linked with a switch to Serie A outfit Inter.

    Solskjaer, whose team face Leeds United in a friendly in Perth on Wednesday, said whoever was in his squad for their Premier League opener against Chelsea on August 11 would be eager to perform for the Red Devils.

    "The day we start the league, I'm sure everyone who's here will give absolutely everything for Man United," he said when asked if Lukaku would be happy if he stayed.

    "We're going to have a strong team with players who want to give everything and there's always rumours, speculations about Man United players.

    "But when the league starts we batten the hatches down and we stick together as a team."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.