Kovac confirms Neuer has suffered another calf injury

By Sports Desk April 14, 2019

Niko Kovac has confirmed Manuel Neuer suffered an injury to the same calf that kept him out of action earlier this month in Bayern Munich's 4-1 win over Fortuna Dusseldorf on Sunday.

The Germany international pulled up early in the second half after slipping while attempting to make a pass and was replaced by Sven Ulreich.

Neuer missed Bayern's DFB-Pokal quarter-final win against Heidenheim on April 3 but was fit enough to feature in his side's 5-0 thumping of title rivals Borussia Dortmund last weekend.

Speaking after the game, though, Kovac says the 33-year-old – who missed almost the entirety of the 2017-18 season with a broken foot – has damaged the same calf that previously troubled him.

"It's the same calf that he had problems with last time," he said. "We'll examine it tomorrow [Monday] and hope, of course, that it's nothing serious."

Bayern's win over Fortuna lifted them back above Borussia Dortmund at the Bundesliga summit by one point with five games remaining.

Related items

  • De Ligt: Cristiano Ronaldo not the decisive factor in Juventus move De Ligt: Cristiano Ronaldo not the decisive factor in Juventus move

    Matthijs de Ligt denied Cristiano Ronaldo convinced him to join Juventus but cited Maurizio Sarri as an important factor in his €85.5million move.

    Netherlands defender De Ligt spoke to the media and was presented with the number four shirt on Friday, 24 hours after completing a high-profile transfer from Ajax.

    The 19-year-old attracted interest from Barcelona, Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain but confirmed his heart was already set on Juve by the time he crossed with paths with Ronaldo in Portugal last month.

    They locked horns in the Nations League final, during which the Bianconeri superstar told centre-back De Ligt to choose Turin as his next destination.

    "At that moment I was pretty sure it was Juventus but obviously it was nice that someone big like Cristiano Ronaldo asked me if I wanted to join," De Ligt said.

    "It was a big compliment but it was not the difference between me joining and not joining."

    Rather, De Ligt's interest in a switch to Serie A stemmed from his deep-rooted admiration of Italian defenders, including former Juve man and World Cup winner Fabio Cannavaro.

    Sarri's tactical approach runs counter to many of the country's established ideals but proved every bit as enticing for De Ligt, a player educated in possession football at Ajax.

    "I spoke to him on the phone really briefly just to get to know each other," the ex-Ajax captain said.

    "He's one of the reasons I wanted to come to Juventus because I heard a lot of good stories about him, the way he plays, the philosophy he has - attacking football - the defending line and how he prepares them.

    "Obviously there was a big reason to come here."

    Already considered one of Europe's finest in his position, the teenager is now seeking to accelerate his already advanced development as part of a star-studded dressing room.

    "Ajax was a younger environment and here I hope that I can learn from great champions like [Giorgio] Chiellini, Gianluigi Buffon, Cristiano and many others," he said.

  • Lukaku out of Inter clash as Solskjaer backs 'world class' Martial Lukaku out of Inter clash as Solskjaer backs 'world class' Martial

    Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku is "not fit" to face suitors Inter in Saturday's pre-season friendly in Singapore, according to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

    Lukaku has not featured on the pre-season tour of Australia and Asia amid speculation over his future.

    Serie A side Inter have identified the Belgium international as a suitable replacement for the unwanted Mauro Icardi, but will reportedly have to pay around £75million to prise him from Old Trafford.

    United are yet to provide specific details about the nature of Lukaku's fitness problem, which has been described as minor.

    "He is not fit, so he won't be available, no," Solskjaer said ahead of the International Champions Cup clash.

    Asked about Lukaku's transfer situation, the Norwegian responded: "I don't have any updates from the last time."

    Lukaku's ongoing absence has allowed Anthony Martial to stake a claim for a starting place in attack.

    The France international scored from the spot in the 4-0 friendly victory over Leeds United in Perth and Solskjaer remains a keen admirer of the 23-year-old despite his struggles to completely convince in the Premier League.

    "Anthony can be a world-class forward," the United manager said.

    "I think if you have followed Anthony, the way he has come back to pre-season, his attitude is spot on.

    "I think he has always got the quality and talent, so I expect him and Marcus [Rashford] to be even better than last season."

    Star goalkeeper David de Gea and left-back Luke Shaw have been cleared to feature against Inter after sitting out the Leeds match.

  • Leroy Sane: No contact with Bayern Munich, says Pep Guardiola Leroy Sane: No contact with Bayern Munich, says Pep Guardiola

    Pep Guardiola remains hopeful winger Leroy Sane will stay at Manchester City and claims he has not spoken to anyone at Bayern Munich regarding the Germany international.

    Bayern are on the lookout for wide players to fill the sizeable void left by Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben with Sane top of their wishlist.

    Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and coach Niko Kovac have been vocal in their admiration of the 23-year-old with the former even suggesting the Bundesliga champions are "ready" to make a move should the player express a wish to leave the Etihad Stadium.

    Guardiola, speaking ahead of the Asia Trophy clash with Wolves, hinted at dissatisfaction with his former club's public pursuit and outlined his desire to keep Sane in the Premier League.

    He told reporters in Shanghai: "For a long time they talk about their interest, but Leroy is our player and hopefully he can stay next season and next season and next season."

    Pushed on if he had spoken to anyone at Bayern, Guardiola replied: "No."

    City have been relatively quiet in the transfer window so far, with the signing of defensive midfielder Rodri from Atletico Madrid their only major acquisition.

    Guardiola said: "We are so happy with the squad we have. I don't know if the players here will stay or if new players will come. But I am delighted with the players we have."

    City have been linked with Leicester City's Harry Maguire although it seems Manchester United now lead the race for the England international. Guardiola suggested central defence was an area he was considering strengthening but had options in his squad should a move not materialise.

    "There's a chance [of a defender coming in] but I don't know if it will be possible. We [already] have three incredible central defenders and Fernandinho can play in that position," he said.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.