Messi: My son asks why they crucify me in Argentina

By Sports Desk March 29, 2019

Lionel Messi says his six-year-old son has questioned why he receives so much criticism in Argentina.

While Messi has inspired Barcelona to domestic and European dominance during his glittering career, international success has continued to elude him.

Argentina have lost successive Copa America finals and were beaten by Germany in the final of the 2014 World Cup despite Messi's efforts.

After Argentina were knocked out by France in the last 16 at Russia 2018, Messi stepped away from international duty and only made his return from a nine-month absence in a loss to Venezuela last week.

Messi subsequently pulled out of the Argentina squad to face Morocco in another friendly on Tuesday, a decision that has re-opened the debate surrounding his commitment to his country.

The Argentina captain was quick to hit back, however, in an interview with Buenos Aires-based radio station FM Club 947.

"I dearly want to win something with the national side, I wanted to come back and want to participate in all the big games," Messi said.

"When I made the decision to return, there were many who criticised the decision. My six-year-old son asked me: 'Dad, why do they crucify you in Argentina?'.

"I tell him that it's just a handful of people. I've shown my desire to play for Argentina and don't need to prove this to anyone."

Lionel Scaloni, who replaced Jorge Sampaoli as coach after the World Cup, welcomed Messi back into the fold and the captain feels Argentina could have a bright future due to the development of young players.

"I left the World Cup squad and then didn't speak with anyone at the federation," Messi added. "Later, Scaloni called me and told me to take some time off and that he'd be keen for me to come back as he was preparing a solid project.

"A transitional phase is totally normal and it's something that should have happened years ago. The young guys have come through and need to be given time, we can't crucify these guys.

"They are a good bunch of guys and are great players. Apart from the Venezuela game they've played well and I've watched them develop with their club sides and I like the way things are going."

Related items

  • Everton complete £22million Gomes signing Everton complete £22million Gomes signing

    Everton have signed Andre Gomes from Barcelona in a £22million deal following a successful season on loan.

    Gomes, also linked with Premier League rivals Tottenham and West Ham, has signed a five-year contract at Goodison Park.

    The Portugal midfielder appeared 29 times for Everton in all competitions last season after joining on a deadline-day loan in August 2018.

    "I'm really happy to sign the contract with Everton - it wasn’t hard to decide, it was an easy decision and I’m very happy to have made it," Gomes told his new side's official website.

    "I know the club made a massive effort to sign me and I'm very happy and thankful to them. I said during the year that I felt part of a family and that is the most important thing to me.

    "Last year was a really good experience for me. I just wanted to feel part of something special and I found it here. It was good for me in that moment and right now, after signing for Everton, it's even better.

    "I think the ambition here is not only for me, I think it's for all the players, the fans and the club. We are all excited for that."

    Valencia appeared to confirm the arrival of Jasper Cillessen from Barcelona on Tuesday, meanwhile, in a deal that is expected to see fellow goalkeeper Neto head to Camp Nou.

    The Copa del Rey winners, who beat Barca in the final, posted a video on social media seemingly showing Netherlands international Cillessen collecting a pair of orange clogs bearing the Valencia badge.

    Barcelona's clear out continued with Marc Cardona being given the green light to join Osasuna in a deal worth €2.5m.

  • Cameroon 2 Guinea-Bissau 0: Banana and Bahoken get AFCON holders off to winning start Cameroon 2 Guinea-Bissau 0: Banana and Bahoken get AFCON holders off to winning start

    Cameroon kicked off their Africa Cup of Nations title defence with a 2-0 win over Guinea-Bissau in Tuesday's Group F clash.

    The 2017 winners were made to work hard for their victory in Ismailia, as both goals arrived in a three-minute period in the final half-an-hour of the match.

    Yaya Banana broke inexperienced Guinea-Bissau's resolve with a header in the 66th minute and substitute Stephane Bahoken made a swift impact by adding a second.

    Guinea-Bissau, competing in the finals for just a second time, struggled to create much over the 90 minutes and relied on Jonas Mendes to keep them on level terms until Cameroon eventually made the breakthrough.

    Christian Bassogog fired over with the angle against him from the best of the Indomitable Lions' first-half chances and Mendes got down to his right to push aside Joyskim Dawa's header from the next big opening 29 minutes later.

    It looked like it was going to be a frustrating day when Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting was the next to be thwarted by Mendes with his curling effort from outside the box early in the second half, but Banana found a way through just past the hour.

    Karl Toko Ekambi sent in the corner and Banana's downward header beat Mendes and covering defender Rudinilson Silva on the line.

    And it did not take long for the second goal to arrive, as a headed clearance in the box ricocheted off Sory Mane and fell nicely for Bahoken to sweep home from six yards.

    Guinea-Bissau almost pulled one back 18 minutes from time, only for Piqueti Silva's header to hit the frame of the goal.

  • Curacao set sights on toppling Jamaica Reggae Boyz Curacao set sights on toppling Jamaica Reggae Boyz

    After earning its first-ever CONCACAF Gold Cup win, Curacao has its sights set on adding to its story as it faces Jamaica for a spot in the quarterfinals on Tuesday at Banc of California Stadium.

    Curacao controls its destiny and needs only a win to assure itself a spot in the next round. A draw would have its players hoping for a Honduras win in the second match of the evening.

    Not wanting to depend on outside results, Head Coach Remko Bicentini knows what his players must accomplish.

    “We must win, we must score a goal. We cannot, the whole game, play in defence,” said the Curacao Manager in a pre-match press conference.

    “We must score one more goal than Jamaica and we are through to the next round.”

    Bicentini counts on a squad with 18 of his 23-man roster based in European leagues at the club level – the most of any squad in this year’s Gold Cup.

    Forward Elson Hooi is one of eleven players who practice their club careers in the Netherlands. He scored his first two international goals against Jamaica in the 2017 Caribbean Cup final.

    “For myself, the national team is more important than my own team so it means a lot,” said Hooi in Monday’s presser. “Our players are very happy. We worked so hard for this. Now we just stay together and work hard to win the third game.”

    The two teams also met in Curacao’s first Gold Cup appearance two years ago, a tournament Bicentini continuously points to as a learning experience.

    On Tuesday, the two Caribbean nations meet once more with high stakes on the line.

    “The whole team from Jamaica is very powerful,” said Bicentini. “We learned from our first Gold Cup in 2017 and that was our preparation for this tournament.”

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.