Monchi in talks over Sevilla return amid Arsenal links

By Sports Desk March 15, 2019

Revered sporting director Monchi is in closing in on a return to his former club Sevilla after leaving Serie A side Roma, dealing a blow to Arsenal.

Monchi left Sevilla in 2017 after 17 years as a director having inspired the most successful period in their history, helping the club win five Europa League titles.

The former Sevilla goalkeeper earned a formidable reputation for his work in the transfer market, becoming renowned for signing players on the cheap and then selling them – or academy products – at a massive profit, with Dani Alves, Sergio Ramos, Jose Antonio Reyes, Alberto Moreno and Ivan Rakitic among the biggest deals.

He departed Sevilla in search of a new challenge, but things did not go entirely to plan at Roma, as his signings came in for criticism and he was reportedly against the idea of dismissing coach Eusebio Di Francesco.

Arsenal – managed by his former Sevilla colleague Unai Emery – had been heavily linked with a move and reportedly thought they had the deal tied up, but the LaLiga side appear to have stolen a march after sacking coach Pablo Machin and replacing him with previous sporting director Joaquin Caparros.

Speaking at a news conference on Friday, president Jose Castro said: "The conclusion we have reached is that there is no one better than Caparros, a successful coach, who could take charge of the squad, which has been constructed by him.

"He will no longer be a sporting director. Sevilla is already working for a new sporting director and we are looking for the best. We think Monchi is the best.

"We have contacted him already and he has been very receptive. We have to agree on an idea of ​​the future and both parties are optimistic.

"We do not need a sporting director for the end of the season, we need one for now, because Caparros is already with the first-team. Our conversations [with Monchi] have gone well and soon, possibly, Monchi could be our sporting director.

"The club knows him perfectly. The team does, too. We have talked about everything, and I repeat that I am very optimistic.

"I think I've explained it several times. The conversations with Monchi have been good and we see him very receptive to being part of the project for the next years.

"I think we just need to finish talking about some things. There is no date, but from the moment that Caparros is no longer the sporting director, we need [a new] one as soon as possible. I cannot take long.

"We've been talking for a few days now. He rescinded his contract with Roma and, from there, we talked. He is in favour of the projects we have in mind."

Related items

  • Ronaldo expects to return within two weeks Ronaldo expects to return within two weeks

    Cristiano Ronaldo is unconcerned by the injury he sustained in Portugal's 1-1 draw with Serbia and believes he will be able to return within two weeks.

    Ronaldo went off 31 minutes into Monday's Euro 2020 qualifier in Lisbon after appearing to sustain a muscle problem while chasing after the ball.

    But the 34-year-old insisted the issue is not serious and he hopes to be fit in time for the first leg of Juventus' Champions League quarter-final against Ajax on April 10.

    Juve are scheduled to travel to Cagliari between home Serie A clashes against Empoli and AC Milan before heading to Amsterdam.

    "I'm not worried about this, I know my body," Ronaldo told reporters. "I know I should be back in a week or two."

    Portugal fell behind early on to a Dusan Tadic penalty, but Danilo Pereira's thunderous effort drew the hosts level just before half-time.

    The reigning European champions looked to have been handed a lifeline in the second half when Antonio Rukavina handled in the area, only for referee Szymon Marciniak to controversially change his initial decision to award a spot-kick after consulting with his assistant.

    Ronaldo slammed the referee for going back on his call, saying: "It was annoying, because the team did everything. We created opportunities, played better – Serbia did not have great opportunities.

    "In my opinion the referee should have given penalty. The assistant is 40 metres away and makes the decision for the referee? It seems strange to me."

    Coach Fernando Santos, meanwhile, revealed Marciniak had apologised for his mistake.

    "He invited me into his room to take a look at the incident. We saw it and we had no doubts, neither he nor I, and then he apologised," Santos said.

    "But the excuse does not help me. No one who is 40 metres away can say it isn't [a penalty], especially when the referee sees it. What will I do with the excuse?

    "The assistant was there and I said that it was his fault."

    Portugal are not in qualifying action again until September and sit third in Group B with two points from their opening two fixtures, which were both played at home.

  • Sterling demands UEFA makes an example of Montenegro after alleged racist abuse Sterling demands UEFA makes an example of Montenegro after alleged racist abuse

    Raheem Sterling urged UEFA to take "a proper stance" against racism by issuing Montenegro with a stadium ban after he and England team-mate Danny Rose were allegedly targeted by monkey chants in Podgorica on Monday.

    England ran out impressive 5-1 winners in the Euro 2020 qualifier, but the match was overshadowed by apparent racist abuse, with Sterling appearing to react while celebrating the fifth goal.

    Manager Gareth Southgate claimed Rose was targeted after picking up a yellow card in second-half stoppage time, while Callum Hudson-Odoi said he heard "monkey stuff".

    UEFA has often been accused of not punishing incidents of racist abuse harshly enough, and Sterling was mindful of that when demanding European football's governing body comes down hard on Montenegro.

    When asked by Sky Sports if a stadium ban should be issued, Sterling said: "Yeah, it's got to be something that serious for them and make them think twice about ever doing something like that again.

    "I can only, we can only, the FA can only do so much. We've got to leave this to the people in charge to make a proper stance on it.

    "Just banning one or two people is not going to change anything, you've got to make [an example] – even if it was our fans, I'd be saying the same thing.

    "The people in charge need to actually do it [punish] as a whole, the whole [of the] Montenegro fans. I don't know, I'm not the one who makes the rules, but they've got to do something that makes a real stance.

    "It's 2019 now, I keep saying it. It's a shame to see this still going on. We can only bring awareness to the situation.

    "It's now time for the people in charge to put a real stamp on it. You can fine someone, but what's that going to do?

    "You've got to make it harder, you've got to punish the whole [group of] fans, [so] that [they] can't come to the ground.

    "You've got to do something to really make them think twice, because if their team can't play with fans, it means it's going to be difficult for them, so it's got to be something to make them think twice about."

  • We are equal – Hudson-Odoi slams 'monkey' chants We are equal – Hudson-Odoi slams 'monkey' chants

    Callum Hudson-Odoi described "monkey" chants by Montenegro supporters as "unacceptable" and hopes that UEFA will deal with it following England's Euro 2020 qualifier.

    Gareth Southgate's side ran out 5-1 winners, but alleged racist abuse directed at England players towards the end of the Group A contest threatens to overshadow Monday's match, with Raheem Sterling appearing to react to the chants while celebrating the fifth goal.

    Proceedings got feisty late on in Podgorica as Danny Rose was booked for a heavy challenge, and it was then that reporters in the stadium claimed abuse was aimed at the Tottenham full-back.

    Chelsea forward Hudson-Odoi – making his first start for the Three Lions – confirmed he heard "monkey stuff" from the stands and the 18-year-old hopes robust action will be taken.

    "I don't think discrimination should be anywhere, we are equal," Hudson-Odoi told beIN Sports.

    "We have to play a fair game and enjoy the moment, but when you're hearing stuff like that from the fans, it's not right, it's unacceptable. Hopefully UEFA deal with it properly.

    "When I went over there, me and Rose heard it, they were saying: 'oohh ah ah', monkey stuff. We have to keep our heads, have a strong mentality.

    "Hopefully Rose is okay, and we'll have a chat about what happened, but he's got a strong mentality, he's a strong guy, and hopefully UEFA deal with it. It's not right at all.

    "Raheem always helped, he's been talking to me about it, saying: 'listen, don't worry about it, it's football, people do it, it's not right, but you've got to stay strong'.

    "I've spoken to him and Rose about it at the same time, and they said that in football you always get things like that, people will always be rude, say things you don't want to hear.

    "Sometimes you've got to block it out of your heads, but it should not happen in football. It's unacceptable."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.