Cardiff City explain delay over Sala payment to Nantes

By Sports Desk February 12, 2019

Chairman Mehmet Dalman has promised Cardiff City will be an "honourable club" with Nantes over the payment of a transfer fee for Emiliano Sala, once they have gathered further information.

Striker Sala was heading to Cardiff after completing a club-record move from the Ligue 1 side when the Piper Malibu aircraft carrying both the player and pilot David Ibbotson disappeared on January 21.

The 28-year-old's body was recovered with the help of specialist contractors from the plane wreckage in the English Channel last week.

Reports emerged in France last Wednesday that Nantes were demanding the first instalment of the €15million Cardiff had agreed to pay for the Argentine forward.

Dalman insists the Premier League club will pay up - but not before they have investigated what they believe to be "anomalies" in the deal.

"Of course, if we are contractually obliged to pay them then of course we will. We are an honourable club," he told BBC Sport Wales. 

"But if we are not - and there are some anomalies in that - then surely you would expect me as the chairman and guardian of this club's interests to look into that and hold our position? That is what we are doing. 

"We are still in the process of gathering information and that process will be ongoing. And when we reach a level where we have enough information, I am sure we will sit down with Nantes and move forward." 

Dalman also confirmed Nantes have threatened legal action, adding: "They have asked for what they believe is the money due to them and there is a process and they have initiated that process.

"What we are saying is that we are not in agreement with that process given the extraordinary events that have taken place and the tragic circumstances. We are not making any positive or negative statements. 

"We are simply saying, please understand there are a lot of questions which need to be answered and that is what we are trying to do."

Related items

  • Manchester City lay on Wembley coaches for fans Manchester City lay on Wembley coaches for fans

    Manchester City's players will fund coach travel for supporters attending next month's FA Cup final against Watford. 

    Each member of the City first-team squad will fund a bus, making 26 in total, subject to demand. 

    "The support from our fans throughout the season has been nothing short of incredible," City captain Vincent Kompany told his club's official website. 

    "Travelling to so many games in league and cup competitions, both home and away, is not easy to do and is something that every player in our squad values and appreciates." 

    City were knocked out of the Champions League on away goals by Tottenham on Wednesday when a dramatic tie ended 4-4 on aggregate at the Etihad Stadium. 

    Pep Guardiola's team remain in contention for an unprecedented domestic treble, as they continue to march on blow-for-blow with Liverpool at the top of the Premier League after lifting the EFL Cup thanks to a penalty shoot-out triumph over Chelsea February. 

    Those exertions mean the Watford game will be City's fifth trip to Wembley this season, with supporters having criticised both high ticket prices and limited public transport provision back to Manchester from London following kick-offs in the late afternoon.

    "Although last night’s result [against Tottenham] was not the one that we had hoped for, it was very special to hear our fans in full voice for 90 minutes backing the team," Kompany added. 

    "We still have so much to fight for this season and this is our way of saying thank you to them for being with us every step of the way." 

  • Rose, Smalling and Deeney launch PFA anti-racism campaign #Enough Rose, Smalling and Deeney launch PFA anti-racism campaign #Enough

    Danny Rose, Chris Smalling and Troy Deeney are among the Premier League players who will boycott social media for 24 hours as part of a Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) initiative to take a stand against racism. 

    The PFA's #Enough campaign will encourage players in England and Wales to refrain from using their personal accounts between 09:00 GMT on Friday until the same time the following day. 

    Rose was racially abused during last month's Euro 2020 qualifier in Montenegro alongside England team-mates Raheem Sterling and Callum Hudson-Odoi, and the Tottenham full-back recently said he "can't wait to see the back of football". 

    In the past week Arsenal and Chelsea both condemned supporters who allegedly abused Kalidou Koulibaly and Mohamed Salah respectively and the proliferation of such incidents has persuaded the PFA to act. 

    "When I said that I can't wait to see the back of football, it is because of the racism that I, and many other players, have been subjected to our entire careers," Rose said. "Football has a problem with racism.

    "I don't want any future players to go through what I've been through in my career. Collectively, we are simply not willing to stand by while too little is done by football authorities and social media companies to protect players from this disgusting abuse." 

    The PFA has also pledged to continue its work with the Football Association and apply more pressure to governing bodies FIFA and UEFA through the international players' union FIFPro. 

    Manchester United centre-back Smalling said: "Throughout my career I have developed a thick skin against verbal abuse, justifying it as just 'part of the game' but the time has come for Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to consider regulating their channels, taking responsibility for protecting the mental health of users regardless of age, race, sex or income.

    "I understand that I am in an extremely privileged position and I am deeply thankful for that but, at the end of the day, we are all human. 

    "As a patron of a youth education charity it is my duty to use my platform as a voice for all, regardless of background. We have to take a greater stand against discrimination of all kinds." 

    Leicester City captain Wes Morgan, Arsenal forward Danielle Carter and Wycombe Wanderers striker Adebayo Akinfenwa also launched the PFA campaign alongside Deeney, the Watford forward who was targeted by racist messages alongside team-mates Adrian Mariappa and Christian Kabasele after scoring in his team's dramatic FA Cup semi-final win over Wolves. 

    "My team-mates and I have been on the receiving end of well documented abuse from a minority of narrow-minded, ignorant people both on social media and on the pitch," Deeney said. 

    "Any racism in football is too much, and it's essential that we fight it wherever and whenever we see it. 

    "On Friday we are sending a message to anyone that abuses players - or anyone else - whether from the crowd or online, that we won't tolerate it within football."

    Deeney added: "The boycott is just one small step, but the players are speaking out with one voice against racism – enough is enough." 

  • Manchester United face 'really tough' trip to Everton, warns Silva Manchester United face 'really tough' trip to Everton, warns Silva

    Everton manager Marco Silva has warned an out-of-sorts Manchester United they can expect another tough assignment at Goodison Park this weekend.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's men have lost their last four away matches in all competitions, the latest resulting in their Champions League exit at the hands of Barcelona on Tuesday.

    The Toffees, meanwhile, have claimed back-to-back high-profile wins at Goodison Park against Chelsea and Arsenal at home and Silva is targeting three more points against another of the Premier League's big guns.

    "If we are on our best level, it will be tough for them," he said at his pre-match press conference.

    "If we can reach the same level we have played in the last three home games, it will be really tough for them."

    | We keep working! #EFC pic.twitter.com/mY77HlcZrq

    — Everton (@Everton) April 18, 2019

     

    United claimed a 2-1 victory over Everton at Old Trafford earlier in the season but Silva believes the Red Devils are a different proposition since Solskjaer replaced Jose Mourinho in December.

    "Different coaches... different formations... they are changing many times their formation," he explained.

    "When we played against them at Old Trafford, in that moment we were in a very good moment.

    "It’s a different moment of the season but I’m 100 per cent sure it will be tough for us and them.

    "They can play with six, seven different players in the attack line, all with high quality.

    "Strong midfielders also. It’s up to us to do our best and try to win the game."

    Silva also backed Andre Gomes, on loan from Barcelona, to come back stronger after his three-match ban for stamping on Aleksandar Mitrovic during last weekend's defeat to Fulham.

    "We know Andre," he added.

    "He is an honest and fair football player and he enjoys what he is doing here.

    "In that moment, he didn't show that. Of course we will miss him. He's a very, very good player and is helping us.

    "He was in a good moment also. But it will be a good opportunity for another to come and show his quality.

    "It was not the first time for us with some injuries, even if this season we didn't have big, big injuries in our squad."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.