Juventus confirm Ramsey deal

By Sports Desk February 11, 2019

Aaron Ramsey has signed a pre-contract agreement to join Juventus at the end of the season.

The Wales international will end his long association with Arsenal after agreeing terms on a four-year deal which will reportedly pay him £400,000 per week.

Ramsey's deal at Emirates Stadium expires in June and he had already confirmed his intention to leave after negotiations over a new deal were ended by the club.

The 28-year-old joined the Gunners from Cardiff City 11 years ago, going on to win the FA Cup three times under former boss Arsene Wenger.

However, the midfielder has failed to hold down a regular place under Unai Emery and will now continue his career in Italy.

Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid were also linked with the player, but Juve have won the race to secure his signature.

The Bianconeri have raided a Premier League club to sign a player on a free for a second successive year - Emre Can joined them from Liverpool on a similar deal last June.

"As you may have already heard, I have agreed a pre-contract agreement with Juventus Football Club," Ramsey – who becomes the third Welshman to play for Juve – posted on Instagram.

"I wanted to issue a personal statement for all the Arsenal fans who have been extremely loyal and supportive.

"You welcomed me as a teenager and have been there for me through all the highs and lows I've encountered during my time at the club.

"It is with a heavy heart that I leave after 11 incredible years in north London. Thank you.

"I will continue to give 100 per cent and hope to finish the season strongly, before heading on to my next chapter in Turin."

Related items

  • Fazio pens Roma extension Fazio pens Roma extension

    Federico Fazio has signed a two-year contract extension with Roma, the Serie A club have confirmed.

    The centre-back's fresh terms at the Stadio Olimpico run until June 30, 2021.

    "It's my second renewal with the club and I am incredibly pleased," said the 32-year-old Argentina international, who moved to the Italian capital on an initial loan deal from Tottenham in 2016.

    "From the very first day here I have felt that the club has confidence in me, something that is important to every player. 

    "I've sensed that belief from everyone who works at Trigoria [Roma's training ground] – a place I want to stay at for the long-term."

    In three seasons with the Giallorossi, Fazio has made 135 appearances and scored 11 goals.

    "Federico is a key player within our squad, and because of that we are delighted to be able to extend his contract," said Roma's sporting director Gianluca Petrachi.

    "We will be relying on his ability and his experience, qualities which will also be hugely important in the growth and development of our younger players.

    "Federico will be a mentor for our defence and for our lads."

    Roma open their Serie A campaign at home to Genoa on Sunday following a busy close season under new head coach Paulo Fonseca.

    Pau Lopez, Bryan Cristante and Amadou Diawara are among those in line to make their competitive debuts.

  • Neville urges six-month social media boycott following Pogba abuse Neville urges six-month social media boycott following Pogba abuse

    Phil Neville has called for the football community to boycott social media for six months after the latest instance of high-profile racist abuse.

    England women's manager Neville was reacting to Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba being targeted online after he had a penalty saved in Monday's 1-1 Premier League draw at Wolves.

    Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham and Reading's Yakou Meite have also been subjected to similar abuse over the past week following their own penalty failures.

    United issued a statement branding the slurs directed towards Pogba as "disgusting" and called for social media companies to take action as they work to identify the perpetrators in this instance.

    However, Neville has little faith in the likes of Twitter and Instagram making a meaningful difference and called on those within the game to take a stand.

    "I've lost total faith in whoever runs these social media departments, so I just wonder whether now as a football community, in terms of really sending a powerful message, is: come off social media," he said at a news conference ahead of his team's matches against Belgium and Norway.

    "Six months – let's come off social media. Let's see the effect that it has on these social media companies, whether they're really going to do something about it."

    Neville also spoke out last October after former England and Chelsea star Karen Carney received rape and death threats on Instagram.

    "We talk to them all the time because my players get that kind of abuse all the time, whether it’s racist, whether it’s sexist, whether it’s homophobic,” he continued.

    "They get that kind of abuse. Nothing gets done about it, but we experienced it earlier in the season.

    "It's not going away, I think there’s some fantastic campaigns, initiatives, messaging that goes out, particularly in the Premier League, through the FA, about trying to stamp out racism.

    "And at times, you feel as if you're making inroads, and then you get probably a massive reminder that actually we’re probably not.

    "It’s a problem not just in football – it’s a problem in society, but football now is at the forefront of everybody’s minds in terms of, we’ve got the power to do something about it. I think the football community will.

    "I think we try, but it’s getting to the point now where I think we need to make a real strong message, and I say to every single footballer out there, and to every club, and to the PFA: why don't we make a big stand? Come off social media. Boycott all social media now and see if that makes a big enough impact."

    Pogba's United team-mate Harry Maguire called for all social media accounts to be verified and Neville suggested he would support such an approach.

    "Maguire said this morning about being verified, giving passport details and addresses to be hold accountable for posting such disgusting things," he added.

    "You can be an egg on Twitter and no one knows who you are."

    Anti-discrimination pressure group Kick It Out has lamented the "increasingly predictable" nature of online attacks.

    "This is a call to action – we want to know what they [social media companies] are going to do to tackle this insidious problem," a Kick It Out statement read.

  • Ashes 2019: The numbers behind absent Steve Smith's remarkable series thus far Ashes 2019: The numbers behind absent Steve Smith's remarkable series thus far

    Steve Smith's absence for the third Ashes Test against England poses a big dilemma for Australia.

    The 30-year-old has been ruled out of the Headingley contest as a result of the concussion he sustained from a Jofra Archer bouncer in the drawn Lord's contest.

    Smith, returning to the Test arena following a ban for his role in the 2018 ball-tampering scandal in South Africa, has been the outstanding player in the series and his numbers make for astonishing reading.

    A pair of centuries in the opening Test at Edgbaston helped Australia secure a 251-run rout of England and they must prepare to protect a 1-0 lead without their talisman.

    Below, we look at Smith's exceptional numbers from the 2019 Ashes series thus far.

    378 – From three innings over two Tests, Smith already has an astounding 378 runs. To put that into context, next on the list of most runs in the series is England's Rory Burns with 226.

    144 – Smith's highest score of the series was 144 in the first innings of the Edgbaston Test. It proved a pivotal moment as Australia were reeling at 122-8 before Smith put on 88 with Peter Siddle.

    126 – The 30-year-old's average for the series thus far is a remarkable 126. England all-rounder Ben Stokes sits at 61.33, the next best so far.

    587 – England have thrown down 587 deliveries at Smith over the Tests at Edgbaston and Lord's, with the hosts' attack struggling to solve the conundrum of how to oust their nemesis.

    64.39 – It is not just the volume of runs Smith is scoring but the speed at which he is doing so, with his strike rate at 64.39.

    44 – Of the 587 balls Smith has faced, he has knocked 44 away to the boundary for four runs.

    2 – Sixes are, naturally, not as commonplace in five-day cricket as in other forms but Smith has managed to clear the ropes on a couple of occasions.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.