Marcelo mystified by Juventus rumours

By Sports Desk February 11, 2019

Marcelo has revealed his admiration for Juventus but is unaware how the rumours of a move to the Italian team came about.

The Serie A champions have been strongly linked with the defender, who could team up again with former Real Madrid team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo at the Bianconeri.

Once a certain starter for Madrid, Marcelo has seemingly fallen out of favour this season, starting just 11 LaLiga games as Santiago Solari has instead opted for Sergio Reguilon at left-back.

While fondly recalling a previous battle against Juve legend Pavel Nedved during an interview with Esporte Interativo, the 30-year-old insisted he knows nothing about a potential switch to Italy.

"I'd also like to know where are these rumours coming from because it's not normal," Marcelo said. "It's funny because they [the press] make pictures with a Juve shirt.

"Juve is a splendid team since the times of [Pavel] Nedved, I once played against them and he was there, it was amazing, I changed shirts with him.

"But I'm from Real Madrid, I have a contract with Real Madrid and the things that are being published, I don't know what they are [coming from], you don't know, many people don't know either and honestly, I'm a sincere man, you know it.

"If there was anything to be told, I'd say it - but nothing."

Marcelo also disclosed how Ronaldo had informed him of his intentions to exit Madrid prior to helping the club win the Champions League for a third successive year.

The Brazil international said: "We were training for the final and he [Ronaldo] said to me: 'I'm leaving."

Related items

  • Khedira thanks fans for support following discovery of heart problem Khedira thanks fans for support following discovery of heart problem

    Juventus midfielder Sami Khedira has thanked fans for their support after he underwent treatment on a heart problem.

    Khedira withdrew from the squad to face Atletico Madrid in the Champions League on Wednesday following the detection of an irregular heartbeat.

    He is not expected to return until late March after Juve confirmed he had been treated successfully but the Germany international later tweeted his thanks and wished his team-mates well for their last-16 clash with Atleti at the Wanda Metropolitano.

    "I've had a successful interventional therapy today in the morning with an ablation of an arrhythmogenic atrial focus," he posted. 

    "Everything went perfectly well and I will be able to get back to work after a short rest. Thank you so much for all your messages and get well wishes!

    "A big thank you to Prof. F. Gaita as well. Now I'm wishing my team-mates all the best for tonight's game in Madrid."

    Khedira, who joined from Real Madrid in 2015, has made 15 appearances in all competitions for Juve this season.

  • Rayo facing rap after Atletico fans display alleged racist flags Rayo facing rap after Atletico fans display alleged racist flags

    Rayo Vallecano are set to be disciplined by the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) following the display of "racist and xenophobic flags" at the club's Estadio de Vallecas during the clash with Atletico Madrid, despite them appearing in the away supporters' area of the ground.

    The RFEF has initiated a disciplinary case against Rayo even though flags with racist symbols were allegedly displayed by Atletico's ultras.

    Antoine Griezmann's goal settled Saturday's LaLiga clash that ended 1-0, after which complaints were made to the RFEF's competition committee.

    A statement on RFEF's official website said: "In relation to the display of racist and xenophobic flags at the Vallecas stadium…in particular at the area occupied by the fans of Atletico de Madrid, the Department of Integrity and Security of the RFEF denounced this circumstance on Monday, February 18 to the Professional Football Competition Committee, which in its meeting today has agreed the initiation of extraordinary record against Rayo Vallecano de Madrid in its capacity as organiser of the meeting.

    "After the complaint presented to the Competition Committee on Tuesday, the State Commission was informed…this circumstance referred to the exhibition of the aforementioned flags and their denunciation to the Committee of Competition.

    "Therefore, the Competition Committee initiates disciplinary actions based exclusively on the complaint filed on the 18th by the Department of Integrity and Security of RFEF, without any other communication or denunciation having been received from other institutions or sports authorities."

  • Sarri plans to be Chelsea manager 'for a long time' Sarri plans to be Chelsea manager 'for a long time'

    Maurizio Sarri has conceded there is a problem with his system at Chelsea but insists he is planning on staying at the club for "a long time". 

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.