Young signs Manchester United contract extension

By Sports Desk February 11, 2019

Ashley Young has signed a one-year contract extension with Manchester United, the Premier League club has confirmed.

The deal will see the 33-year-old – signed from Aston Villa in June 2011 - remain at Old Trafford until the end of the 2019-20 season.

Young initially arrived at the club as a winger, but has since developed into a versatile full-back, utilised on both sides of United’s defence.

The England international has won five trophies in his time with the Red Devils, including the Premier League in 2012-13 and the League Cup and Europa League double under former boss Jose Mourinho at the end of the 2016-17 campaign.

Young has made 25 appearances in all competitions this season, including 18 starts in the Premier League, and becomes the latest player to commit his future to United.

The club announced defender Phil Jones' new four-year contract last Friday, following on from new deals for midfielder Scott McTominay and forward Anthony Martial since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's appointment as caretaker manager.

"His attitude and his experience around the place is vital for us," Solskjaer told MUTV.

"We've got a young team that needs some leaders in the dressing room and Ashley is one of them."

Related items

  • Neville urges six-month social media boycott following Pogba abuse Neville urges six-month social media boycott following Pogba abuse

    Phil Neville has called for the football community to boycott social media for six months after the latest instance of high-profile racist abuse.

    England women's manager Neville was reacting to Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba being targeted online after he had a penalty saved in Monday's 1-1 Premier League draw at Wolves.

    Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham and Reading's Yakou Meite have also been subjected to similar abuse over the past week following their own penalty failures.

    United issued a statement branding the slurs directed towards Pogba as "disgusting" and called for social media companies to take action as they work to identify the perpetrators in this instance.

    However, Neville has little faith in the likes of Twitter and Instagram making a meaningful difference and called on those within the game to take a stand.

    "I've lost total faith in whoever runs these social media departments, so I just wonder whether now as a football community, in terms of really sending a powerful message, is: come off social media," he said at a news conference ahead of his team's matches against Belgium and Norway.

    "Six months – let's come off social media. Let's see the effect that it has on these social media companies, whether they're really going to do something about it."

    Neville also spoke out last October after former England and Chelsea star Karen Carney received rape and death threats on Instagram.

    "We talk to them all the time because my players get that kind of abuse all the time, whether it’s racist, whether it’s sexist, whether it’s homophobic,” he continued.

    "They get that kind of abuse. Nothing gets done about it, but we experienced it earlier in the season.

    "It's not going away, I think there’s some fantastic campaigns, initiatives, messaging that goes out, particularly in the Premier League, through the FA, about trying to stamp out racism.

    "And at times, you feel as if you're making inroads, and then you get probably a massive reminder that actually we’re probably not.

    "It’s a problem not just in football – it’s a problem in society, but football now is at the forefront of everybody’s minds in terms of, we’ve got the power to do something about it. I think the football community will.

    "I think we try, but it’s getting to the point now where I think we need to make a real strong message, and I say to every single footballer out there, and to every club, and to the PFA: why don't we make a big stand? Come off social media. Boycott all social media now and see if that makes a big enough impact."

    Pogba's United team-mate Harry Maguire called for all social media accounts to be verified and Neville suggested he would support such an approach.

    "Maguire said this morning about being verified, giving passport details and addresses to be hold accountable for posting such disgusting things," he added.

    "You can be an egg on Twitter and no one knows who you are."

    Anti-discrimination pressure group Kick It Out has lamented the "increasingly predictable" nature of online attacks.

    "This is a call to action – we want to know what they [social media companies] are going to do to tackle this insidious problem," a Kick It Out statement read.

  • Maguire advocates for social media verification after racial abuse of Pogba Maguire advocates for social media verification after racial abuse of Pogba

    Manchester United defender Harry Maguire has urged social media platforms to strengthen identification protocols after "pathetic trolls" aimed racial abuse at Paul Pogba.

    United midfielder Pogba became the latest subject of discriminatory posts online after failing to convert a penalty in the 1-1 draw against Wolves at Molineux on Monday.

    Chelsea youngster Tammy Abraham and Reading striker Yakou Meite faced similar abuse within the past week.

    United described the offensive comments as "disgusting" and called on social media companies to take action, supporting the public stance taken by anti-discrimination organisation Kick It Out.

    England international Maguire took to Twitter to recommend a stricter authentication process for users.

    "Disgusting," Maguire wrote. "Social media need to do something about it. 

    "Every account that is opened should be verified by a passport/driving licence. Stop these pathetic trolls making numerous accounts to abuse people."

    In a statement, Kick It Out shone a light on the growing volume of "unwarranted and vile racist abuse" directed towards players.

    "The number of posts such as these since the start of the season highlights how discriminatory abuse online is out of control," the statement read.

    "Without immediate and the strongest possible action these cowardly acts will continue to grow."

    Marcus Rashford echoed the sentiment as he backed team-mate Pogba.

    Tagging Twitter, the forward posted: "Enough now, this needs to stop. Manchester United is a family. Paul Pogba is a huge part of that family. You attack him you attack us all."

  • Ashes 2019: The numbers behind absent Steve Smith's remarkable series thus far Ashes 2019: The numbers behind absent Steve Smith's remarkable series thus far

    Steve Smith's absence for the third Ashes Test against England poses a big dilemma for Australia.

    The 30-year-old has been ruled out of the Headingley contest as a result of the concussion he sustained from a Jofra Archer bouncer in the drawn Lord's contest.

    Smith, returning to the Test arena following a ban for his role in the 2018 ball-tampering scandal in South Africa, has been the outstanding player in the series and his numbers make for astonishing reading.

    A pair of centuries in the opening Test at Edgbaston helped Australia secure a 251-run rout of England and they must prepare to protect a 1-0 lead without their talisman.

    Below, we look at Smith's exceptional numbers from the 2019 Ashes series thus far.

    378 – From three innings over two Tests, Smith already has an astounding 378 runs. To put that into context, next on the list of most runs in the series is England's Rory Burns with 226.

    144 – Smith's highest score of the series was 144 in the first innings of the Edgbaston Test. It proved a pivotal moment as Australia were reeling at 122-8 before Smith put on 88 with Peter Siddle.

    126 – The 30-year-old's average for the series thus far is a remarkable 126. England all-rounder Ben Stokes sits at 61.33, the next best so far.

    587 – England have thrown down 587 deliveries at Smith over the Tests at Edgbaston and Lord's, with the hosts' attack struggling to solve the conundrum of how to oust their nemesis.

    64.39 – It is not just the volume of runs Smith is scoring but the speed at which he is doing so, with his strike rate at 64.39.

    44 – Of the 587 balls Smith has faced, he has knocked 44 away to the boundary for four runs.

    2 – Sixes are, naturally, not as commonplace in five-day cricket as in other forms but Smith has managed to clear the ropes on a couple of occasions.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.