Sarri calls January exit for Willian 'impossible' amid Barcelona links

By Sports Desk January 11, 2019

Maurizio Sarri thinks it is "impossible" for Willian to leave Chelsea in January despite reports suggesting he could be part of a swap deal with Barcelona involving the out-of-favour Malcom.

Brazil international Willian was the subject of strong speculation in pre-season, with Barcelona reportedly having offers for him rejected.

In the end, Barca signed Malcom from Bordeaux to bolster their wide options, but the 21-year-old has hardly featured, playing just five times in LaLiga.

Malcom cost Barca €41million and his slow start has seen a number of transfer and loan links crop up, with Everton originally thought to be front-runners before Marco Silva denied interest.

The latest rumours suggested Barca tabled an offer for Willian which amounted to €55m, including Malcom, but Sarri says the Chelsea man simply is not leaving.

When asked if he would be happy for Willian to leave, Sarri told reporters: "Of course not, because as you know a winger for us is very important.

"I think he can do better because the potential is higher, but he's very important for us, so I think it's impossible to lose him in January.

"I didn't receive anything [about Willian] yesterday [Thursday]. You'll have to ask the club and ask about the market, because if you ask me about the market you put me in trouble because I don't know."

Elaborating on his desire for Willian to play at a higher level, Sarri wants the winger to show more initiative off the ball and to make himself a bigger threat in the penalty area.

"Usually he wants the ball on the feet, so I think he can improve in movements without the ball," Sarri said. "He has the potential to score more."

Alvaro Morata has also been heavily linked with a move away from Chelsea and is expected to depart in one way or another this month, with Sevilla interested in a loan deal and Atletico Madrid said to be considering signing him permanently.

If Morata does leave, Sarri will be insisting on a replacement.

"Of course, if he goes to another club we need a replacement, it's normal," the Italian added.

"At the moment, he is here, so I think he has to think only of playing because in this moment in Europe there are another 300 players involved in the market and they must only think to next matches or it's impossible to play."

Related items

  • Pellegrini: Arnautovic available for the right price Pellegrini: Arnautovic available for the right price

    Manuel Pellegrini admitted West Ham would consider selling Marko Arnautovic if the price is right.

    The forward has been linked with a move to the Chinese Super League and his brother and agent recently said Arnautovic was keen for a transfer to go through.

    Last week, West Ham issued a statement prior to their Premier League game against Arsenal insisting the Austrian was not for sale.

    However, Arnautovic appeared to wave goodbye to supporters at the London Stadium when he was substituted during the win over the Gunners, and Pellegrini has now suggested that stance may soften were an acceptable bid to come in.

    "When you have such a high offer, everyone wants to leave but he has a contract here," the Hammers boss told reporters.

    "We will know what will happen about it in the coming days.

    "If I say the player must stay, the player will stay. But I think as a manager the best thing is to take the solution that is best for the player and the club, both together.

    "If it's a good deal for both parties we will arrange to be without Marko."

  • Barcelona 3 Levante 0 (4-2 agg): Dembele at the double as Barca advance Barcelona 3 Levante 0 (4-2 agg): Dembele at the double as Barca advance

    Ousmane Dembele's brace and a second-half goal from Lionel Messi ensured Barcelona beat Levante 3-0 at Camp Nou, as they comfortably overturned a first-leg deficit to progress to the Copa del Rey quarter-finals.

    Trailing 2-1 in the tie, Ernesto Valverde handed a start to Messi and he played a part in both of Dembele's goals before making sure of the aggregate victory by finding the net himself just after the break.

    However, Levante president Quico Catalan had already said his club will challenge Barcelona's progression, with reports in Spain suggesting the LaLiga champions fielded an ineligible player in the previous meeting.

    Defender Chumi featured in that game, even though he had been due to serve a suspension after picking up five bookings in the Segunda Division B, and Catalan told reporters prior to kick-off on Thursday that Levante would lodge an official complaint to the Royal Spanish Football Federation.

    The selection of Messi, who did not feature in the first leg, was an indication of Barcelona's intent to progress, and the Argentinian twice came close to scoring in the opening 25 minutes, with goalkeeper Aitor Fernandez parrying away a free-kick before diverting another try wide with his foot.

    Yet Barca soon went ahead on aggregate as Dembele benefitted from two moments of good fortune to score twice in as many minutes.

    First, the ball looped up off the Frenchman and went in following Erick Cabaco's desperate slide tackle, before Dembele's weak finish from a tight angle was helped in by Fernandez's foot to make it 2-0.

    Messi was then played in by Dembele only to see his effort from point-blank range denied by Fernandez, the keeper then thwarting Philippe Coutinho and Messi again before the break.

    Barca's aggregate lead was only a solitary goal until Messi finally got on the scoresheet nine minutes into the second half.

    Dembele was involved as he threaded a superb pass through to Nelson Semedo, who squared the ball for Messi to slot past Fernandez for the home side's third.

    A hat-trick alluded Dembele, though, as he fired just wide late on, while the woodwork denied Emmanuel Boateng scoring for Levante in stoppage time.
     

    What does it mean? Barca through, for now

    Levante president Catalan's comments prior to kick-off did not serve as a distraction to Barcelona, who did the job on the pitch. As it stands, they will be in Friday's last-eight draw, though the powers-that-be may have something to say about that.

    Dembele at the double

    He only scored four times in his debut campaign at Camp Nou but Dembele already has a dozen in 2018-19. There was a degree of luck in both of the 21-year-old's first-half goals, but his link-up play with Messi suggests he is beginning to feel more at home.

    Chance to impress passes Coutinho by

    Dembele is not the only one to have experienced early struggles in his Barcelona career, with Coutinho as yet failing to hit the same heights he reached at Liverpool prior to his January 2018 move. The Brazilian, who was withdrawn for Luis Suarez just after the hour mark, has still not scored from open play since October.

    What's next?

    Leaders Barcelona will look to make it seven wins in a row in LaLiga when they host Leganes on Sunday, with Levante hosting Real Valladolid on the same day.

  • Jamaica international Gordon seals deal with USL club OKC Energy Jamaica international Gordon seals deal with USL club OKC Energy

    Jamaica international Omar Gordon has joined USL Championship club OKC Energy in a move away from Jamaican Premier League club Montego Bay United.

    The 27-year-old striker is fresh from completing a loan spell at USL Western Conference team San Antonio where he made a solid impression.  Gordon scored six goals in seven appearances and notched four assists.

    Locally, Gordon made a measurable impression with 125 appearances for Montego Bay United, a club he joined in 2011.  He scored 37 goals and helped the club to the Jamaican National Premier League title in 2014 and 2016.

    Energy FC Head Coach Steve Cooke admitted he was pleased to have acquired the player’s services.

    “Having watched him at close quarters playing for San Antonio last year, we always knew he was a threat against us, “Cooke said.

    “He’s big, he’s strong, he’s powerful and he’s got the pace to get in behind – great 1-v-1 attacking defenders. I think he can contribute goals, assists and really take the game to the other teams.”

    Gordon has also previously competed on loan in the United States with Indy Eleven during the 2016 season when he recorded three goals in 20 appearances for the club. 

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.