Allegri insists Ronaldo is 'serene' despite DNA sample request over rape allegation

By Sports Desk January 11, 2019

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri insists Cristiano Ronaldo is "serene" despite a warrant for his DNA amid the ongoing investigation into a rape allegation.

American Kathryn Mayorga has accused Ronaldo of sexually assaulting her in a hotel in Las Vegas in 2009, something the Portugal captain has strenuously refuted.

German publication Der Spiegel first reported the claims, which also included the suggestion Ronaldo paid Ms Mayorga $375,000 in 2010 as part of a privacy agreement, preventing her from going public with the allegations. Ms Mayorga filed a lawsuit in an attempt to quash that agreement, while Las Vegas police have re-opened an investigation.

Ronaldo's lawyer Peter Christiansen confirmed the payment was made to Ms Mayorga, but said some documents presented as evidence had been "stolen" and "completely fabricated", while the Juventus forward described rape as an "abominable crime" in an October statement he issued to "firmly deny" the accusations.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday that Las Vegas police had requested a sample of Ronaldo's DNA, and after Christiansen insisted this was a "very standard request", Allegri believes his key player is calm.

"It's his personal question, I talk about football," Allegri told reporters ahead of Saturday's Coppa Italia clash with Bologna.

"I can tell you that I saw him very serene, he is training well. It has been a very tight four months, now we need to work to play better in the 36 potential games we have left.

"I see Cristiano peaceful and calm, I go on that. For the rest, it is not for me to answer because they are private affairs."

Saturday's trip to Bologna is Juve's first game back after the mid-season break and it was put to Allegri that he might opt to carefully "manage" Ronaldo's playing time in the second half of the campaign.

"Until now, he has never gone to the national team [while at Juve]," Allegri said. "The six games that he spared with Portugal he has then played them in the league with us, so he played more or less the same matches last year.

"As we move forward, I will manage the condition of all in order to try to arrive at the end of all the objectives well. He [Ronaldo] will play on Saturday, but let's see how and when."

Related items

  • Napoli slam FIGC decision to reject Koulibaly appeal Napoli slam FIGC decision to reject Koulibaly appeal

    Napoli say the decision to reject Kalidou Koulibaly's appeal against his red card against Inter is a wasted opportunity in the battle against racism.

    Koulibaly was shown two yellow cards in quick succession during the 1-0 defeat at San Siro on Boxing Day, the second coming after he sarcastically applauding the referee.

    The Senegal defender was targeted by racist abuse from the stands throughout the game in Milan and head coach Carlo Ancelotti said Koulibaly was "nervous and the mood at the time was not his best".

    Napoli said the game should have been suspended due to the taunts from the crowd and the club's lawyer vowed to fight any suspension.

    However, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) appeals court rejected his claim on Friday, leading to condemnation from Napoli, who believe the governing body have "degraded" football and hampered their fight to stop racism.

    The club statement read: "The decision of the FIGC appeals court to turn down our appeal against Koulibaly's ban is a sad defeat both for football and the wider issue raised by this whole affair, namely, the fight against discrimination of all sorts, which is still part of football and society.

    "A battle that UEFA has been fighting for years – and which Napoli has always supported – has thus been degraded.

    "UEFA and FIFA have condemned what happened, saying that protocol was not respected and that the match should have been suspended. All manner of public figures, from mayors to artists, footballers and coaches have offered their solidarity while expressing their indignation.

    "Rarely in Italy have we witnessed such unanimous condemnation from society as a whole.

    "Then there was the appeal itself, where the judges said they are completely aware of what happened and that they are on Koulibaly's side as a man. They encouraged him not to give up or feel alone, which, he explained, in a sincere and moving speech, is how he felt that evening. Just as he explained to the judges how embarrassed he felt when he had to tell his parents, and his mother in particular, what had happened.

    "After all these extraordinary events, the appeal was turned down. A procedural rule was incapable of doing the only thing there was to do: give back to Kalidou Koulibaly – this Senegalese lad who, in light of these events, represents everything that is good and bad in Italy at the moment – the dignity he deserves.

    "Koulibaly, Italian football and the institutions all come out of this degraded. Koulibaly's ban should have been overturned regardless of the rules and the bureaucracy. All this does is kill football. Because football is above all a passion that unites billions of people around the world, and it should not be derided like this.

    "A great opportunity has been missed today. Sadly it proves there is still much to do and many things to change."

  • Norwich City 3 Birmingham City 1: Canaries end winless run to go second Norwich City 3 Birmingham City 1: Canaries end winless run to go second

    Norwich City moved back into the Championship's top two with a 3-1 victory over play-off hopefuls Birmingham City at Carrow Road on Friday.

  • Hoffenheim 1 Bayern Munich 3: Goretzka goals close gap on Bundesliga's return Hoffenheim 1 Bayern Munich 3: Goretzka goals close gap on Bundesliga's return

    Leon Goretzka's maiden Bundesliga brace guided Bayern Munich to a hard-earned 3-1 win at Hoffenheim in their first fixture of 2019.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.