Bayern Munich move wouldn't be good for Hudson-Odoi, claims Sarri

By Sports Desk January 07, 2019

Maurizio Sarri does not think joining Bayern Munich would be a good move for transfer-linked Callum Hudson-Odoi, convinced he is best served by staying at Chelsea.

The 18-year-old winger is highly rated in English football, having played a key role in England's Under-17 World Cup triumph in 2017.

He has become a part of Chelsea's first-team squad over the last year, but has still only featured three times in the Premier League, and reports suggest he is refusing to discuss a new contract until he is given assurances over playing time.

As such, Bayern are said to have been alerted to his situation and have reportedly made several offers for the talented teenager, determined to not miss out on another promising English prospect after seeing Borussia Dortmund sign Jadon Sancho from Manchester City.

Sarri is adamant Chelsea represent a better option for Hudson-Odoi, however, predicting a bright future for him at Stamford Bridge if he stays.

When asked whether he thinks joining Bayern would be a good move for Hudson-Odoi, Sarri told reproters: "I don't think so, because he's an English player, he's very young.

"He has the future and I think he has a very great future here, with the national team and with Chelsea. I think to stay here is better for him.

"I know, for me, he is a very important player. He's young, but he's improving. He played really well in the last match.

"He was in trouble against Watford, but only because of a hamstring problem. He is improving, I'm very happy with him. I don't know the situation with the club, but I'm happy with the player."

Despite making his opinion clear in public, Sarri has not tried to impose his thoughts on Hudson-Odoi himself, because he feels it is not his business.

"No, because I'm not in charge of these things [transfers]," he said. "I don't want to talk to a player about things that have nothing to do with me.

"I want to only talk to him about the pitch, movements in the defensive phase and I'm very happy, because he's improving in the defensive phase a lot in the last months."

Another Chelsea player linked with a departure is Gary Cahill, as the experienced centre-back has only played once all season in the Premier League.

Sarri remains unsure about his future, but does feel as though the 33-year-old's focus is not on his football.

"At the moment, I want to understand the situation, if he wants to go or not," Sarri said. "At the moment, his mind is not completely involved in our situation, so we have to wait.

"We don't need a replacement [if Cahill leaves], because we have [Ethan] Ampadu."

Related items

  • Bale 'very unlikely' to join Man United as agent rules out loan move Bale 'very unlikely' to join Man United as agent rules out loan move

    Gareth Bale is "very unlikely" to join Manchester United and will not leave Real Madrid in a loan deal, according to his agent.

    Bale joined Madrid in 2013 after emerging as one of the Premier League's best players at Tottenham, commanding what was then a world-record transfer fee of €100million.

    His first three seasons were a success, as he scored 47 LaLiga goals in 81 appearances and helped Madrid to two Champions League titles.

    However, from an individual perspective, the following three campaigns have been rather more difficult, as Bale has been troubled by fitness problems and struggled to hold down a place in the starting XI.

    Madrid are reportedly willing to let him leave and United – who are said to have wanted him when he was at Southampton and Spurs – have been tentatively linked, but a move seems improbable.

    "He could fit in there," Bale's agent Jonathan Barnett told Sky Sports News when asked about a potential move to Old Trafford.

    "I think he could do very well - he is still one of the best players in the world, but it is very unlikely."

    Given Madrid's valuation of Bale and his huge wages, media reports had suggested a loan move away from the Santiago Bernabeu might be more realistic than an outright sale, with Bayern Munich said to be interested.

    But Barnett dismissed such a scenario out of hand, adamant only a remarkable offer – and not a loan – would persuade Bale to leave Spain.

    "A loan move is not going to happen, there's more chance of me winning Ascot," Barnett added. "I don't think he wants to go out on loan.

    "He's got a lovely life and home in Spain. I think it would take something exceptional for him to leave and loans are not on the menu. Obviously, Gareth's situation at Real hasn't improved."

  • Rodri will be perfect fit at City, claims Milla Rodri will be perfect fit at City, claims Milla

    Pep Guardiola's style of play will suit Rodri if he completes a transfer from Atletico Madrid to Manchester City, according to former Real Madrid and Barcelona midfielder Luis Milla.

    Spain international Rodri is expected to complete a £62.5million transfer to the Etihad Stadium, bringing the former Villarreal midfielder's time at Atletico to an end after just one season.

    Milla, who won La Liga twice with Madrid and once with Barcelona during an illustrious playing career, said the 22-year-old would be a natural fit at City should the club opt to make him their record signing.

    "Rodri could fit perfectly at Manchester City, because his coach has an Ajax and Barcelona style and looks for the same idea of play," Milla told Omnisport.

    "City has a coach that was influenced at Barcelona. Rodri has the ability and virtues to play that way."

    Guardiola is thought to see Rodri as a potential successor to 34-year-old midfielder Fernandinho in the City engine room, offering a similarly disciplined approach to the game.

    West Ham's Declan Rice and Lyon's Tanguy Ndombele have also been linked with City, but Milla sees Rodri as an ideal signing for the Premier League champions.

    "We are talking about a player with the ability to read football quickly," said Milla.

    "He also understands what he has to do in each moment, he is intelligent, tactically he never loses his position, and he knows how to play a positional game."

  • Dortmund hand Favre contract extension until 2021 Dortmund hand Favre contract extension until 2021

    Lucien Favre has signed a contract extension tying him to Borussia Dortmund until 2021.

    Swiss coach Favre agreed a two-year deal with Dortmund in May 2018 and led them to an unexpected Bundesliga title charge in his first season at the helm.

    Having finished just two points behind eventual champions Bayern Munich, the former Borussia Monchengladbach boss has renewed his terms at Signal Iduna Park.

    "I'm looking forward to continuing constructive and successful cooperation with the entire BVB team," said Favre in a statement after the new deal was announced on Tuesday.

    "I'm delighted to have the opportunity to shape the sporting future of this tradition-steeped club."

    Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke added: "He has 100 per cent met the expectations. It is logical that we want to shape the club's future together."

    BVB look set to push Bayern all the way again in 2019-20, having already finalised the signings of Julian Brandt, Thorgan Hazard and Nico Schulz.

    "Lucien has created clear structures and developed our players," said sporting director Michael Zorc.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.