EPL

Bournemouth midfielder Cook out for six-to-nine months

By Sports Desk December 06, 2018

Lewis Cook has suffered a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament and could be out for up to nine months, Premier League club Bournemouth have confirmed.

The 21-year-old midfielder sustained the injury during the Tuesday's 2-1 win over Huddersfield Town – a result that lifted the Cherries up to seventh in the table.

Cook won his maiden England cap during March's friendly against Italy before returning to the Under-21 set-up.

He will now miss the rest of the season, ruling him out of contention for the Three Lions' opening Euro 2020 qualifiers and the inaugural Nations League Finals in June.

"AFC Bournemouth midfielder Lewis Cook will be sidelined for six-to-nine months with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament," a club statement read.

"Cook was assessed by the club's medical staff following the match, with further assessment and scans on Wednesday revealing the extent of the damage to his right knee."

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe said: "We are all devastated for Lewis. It is a huge blow to a very talented player who has been a very important part of our side over the last 18 months.

"But Lewis is a strong character who only has to look around our dressing room for inspiration of how an injury like this is merely a setback and to know that he can come back better than ever.

"He will have the full support and love of everyone at the club throughout the next few months as he receives the very best treatment and rehabilitation possible."

Bournemouth, who are back in action at home to title chasing Liverpool this weekend, have had to deal with a succession of knee injuries to first-team players since promotion to the Premier League in 2015.

Defender Adam Smith will be sidelined into the new year with a cartilage tear, while top scorer Callum Wilson has twice sustained similar setback to the one Cook must endure.

Tyrone Mings missed the vast majority of the 2015-16 campaign after suffering torn knee ligaments 12 minutes into his debut against Leicester City.

Related items

  • Mourinho created unhealthy atmosphere – Sanchez Mourinho created unhealthy atmosphere – Sanchez

    Alexis Sanchez said former Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho created an unhealthy atmosphere at Old Trafford.

    Mourinho was sacked in December and replaced by caretaker boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer amid reports of dressing-room unrest at United.

    Sanchez was lured from Premier League rivals Arsenal to United by Mourinho in January last year, however, the 30-year-old forward fell out of favour prior to the Portuguese's departure.

    Chile international Sanchez – who has only scored five goals in all competitions since arriving in Manchester – said he lost his confidence under Mourinho.

    "Mourinho is one of the best coaches in the world, in the way that he coaches, how he studies videos, the way he goes about things," Sanchez told the BBC.

    "But within the group there was that feeling that you were in the team, then out. Sometimes I didn't play, then I did, then I didn't and as a player you lose confidence.

    "Then an atmosphere was created that wasn't healthy."

    Sanchez, who is in doubt for United's FA Cup fifth-round trip to Chelsea on Monday, added: "I've played football since I was five and if I have the ball taken away from me, it's as if I lose my joy."

  • Valverde not nervous about Messi penalties after spot-kick miss Valverde not nervous about Messi penalties after spot-kick miss

    Barcelona head coach Ernesto Valverde is not worried about Lionel Messi taking penalties after the superstar scored one and failed to convert another against Real Valladolid.

    It was a mixed evening for Messi at Camp Nou, where the Barca captain's 43rd-minute penalty led the LaLiga leaders to a 1-0 victory on Saturday.

    Messi – who has scored 30 or more goals in each of his last 11 seasons in all competitions for Barca – should have had a second but the five-time Ballon d'Or winner saw his 85th-minute spot-kick kept out by Jordi Masip.

    "No, no, I'm not particularly nervous. I was convinced he was going to score both," Valverde replied when asked if he was anxious about Messi taking penalties.

    "Leo is a safe bet. He could have scored more goals as well."

    Barca were far from their best but the defending champions still managed to get past visitors Valladolid as they returned to winning ways.

    Three consecutive draws against Valencia and Athletic Bilbao in LaLiga, and Real Madrid in the Copa del Rey semi-finals, raised eyebrows and while Valverde acknowledged Barca's shortcomings on Saturday, he is confident his side will rediscover their best.

    Barca travel to French side Lyon for the opening leg of their Champions League last-16 tie on Tuesday.

    "In the first half, we had very little fluidity in attack and did not move the ball with the necessary speed," Valverde told reporters.

    "They changed their system and we were not fluent and could not circulate things quickly but their goalkeeper did well. Some games are won like that, though, and Tuesday [against Lyon] will be another challenge for us.

    "I see the team as being ready to give their best now and get back to that. Sometimes you won't be brilliant in every game but there are four important matches coming up and we will go step by step."

  • Sanchez 'worried' amid Man United struggles Sanchez 'worried' amid Man United struggles

    Manchester United forward Alexis Sanchez admitted he is "worried" having failed to bring more joy to the Premier League club and their fans.

    Sanchez has struggled for form and fitness since arriving from rivals Arsenal in January last year, with the 30-year-old scoring just five goals as a United player.

    United caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said he cannot help Sanchez after the former Barcelona star's disappointing performance in Tuesday's 2-0 first-leg loss to Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League.

    And ahead of Monday's FA Cup fifth-round meeting with Chelsea, Sanchez said he is determined to showcase his best at Old Trafford.

    "He (Solskjaer) hasn't spoken to me a great deal about what I have to do on the pitch, but I think I'm an experienced player and I think I know what I need to do and what I shouldn't do," Sanchez told the BBC.

    "I'm a player that, if I'm not in contact with the ball, I lose that spark, and sometimes I want to play in every game. You're in, you're out, and I'm used to playing.

    "It's not an excuse because if I go on for 10, 20 minutes, I have to perform because that's what I'm here for, to make a difference.

    "I would like to have brought more joy to the club. Yes, it worries me because I believe in my abilities as a player, I want to show it."

    "I don't know how people see me, but football is what I've loved from being a kid and it's my passion," Sanchez added.

    Sanchez also confirmed that he was injured after an assistant referee ran into him while warming up during United's Champions League fixture against Ligue 1 holders PSG.

    The Chile international underwhelmed after replacing injured team-mate Jesse Lingard on the stroke of half-time.

    "The referee's assistant, when we had a counter-attack, came flying down the line, and I had my foot there and he crashed into me. Bang," Sanchez said.

    "And I went back to the dugout and I said to [reserve goalkeeper] Sergio Romero: 'I've just been whacked and I'm about to go on'. I've got bruising but that's not an excuse for not being on my game in the way that I normally am."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.