Ampadu will be magnificent - Giggs thrilled by Chelsea teenager

By Sports Desk September 06, 2018

Ryan Giggs predicted a "magnificent" future for Ethan Ampadu after the 17-year-old thrived in a 4-1 Nations League win against Republic of Ireland.

Real Madrid star Gareth Bale scored a stunner and created a first

Wales goal for Connor Roberts but it was Ampadu who caught the eye in a midfield role on Thursday at Cardiff City Stadium.

The teenager, making his third international appearance, was involved in two goals as Wales ran riot in their Nations League opener, the first competitive match in charge for Giggs.

"Ethan is a talented player," Giggs told Sky Sports. "Even more so than that, as a person he is so balanced, so mature, for such a young player - he's going to be magnificent.

"The lads were magnificent, some brilliant goals and great football. I can't be much happier. At the start of the season it's about juggling players who are playing regularly with match rhythm with a balance of experience and bringing young players in.

"They've set the standard and need to stay there. I did enjoy the performance and the goals but you always think you can do better, there were mistakes to work on, but I am extremely happy and proud."

Ireland were unbeaten in their last eight meetings with Wales but collapsed to a second successive heavy defeat in a competitive game, having been thrashed 5-1 at home by a Christian Eriksen-inspired Denmark in last November's World Cup play-off.

And while Giggs was thrilled by the display of his young side, Ireland coach Martin O'Neill bemoaned being without senior players including Harry Arter, Robbie Brady and Shane Long for the trip to Cardiff.

"We were well beaten and it's difficult - yes, missing some key players, but still well beaten," O'Neill told Sky Sports.

"I think obviously we set out with good intentions but they scored early, second goal from a world-class player [Bale], a world-class goal sets you back - 2-0 down, 15 minutes gone it's a tough way back. It was a hard evening.

"We were unable to be missing five or six Premier League players and still put on a good show, we need to be at full strength. We can be, but I'm not sure when we have been, but I can't remember when we have been as decimated as this.

"We try to be braver on the ball, that's important regardless of what division they play in and the time they've had on the field of play. When they come here it's a big step up and you have to be ready."

Related items

  • Manu is number one - Kovac has his say on Neuer-Ter Stegen feud Manu is number one - Kovac has his say on Neuer-Ter Stegen feud

    Bayern Munich head coach Niko Kovac believes competition between Manuel Neuer and Marc-Andre ter Stegen is good for both goalkeepers as the feud surrounding the two Germany internationals continues.

    Germany captain Neuer took exception to Barcelona's Ter Stegen expressing frustration over being unable to dislodge the Bayern star as the national team's number one.

    Speaking ahead of Barca's Champions League draw at Borussia Dortmund, Ter Stegen criticised Neuer's comments but expressed a desire to move on from the matter.

    This was something Neuer echoed, only for Bayern president Uli Hoeness to wade into the debate after his club's 3-0 win over Red Star Belgrade on Wednesday.

    Keen to avoid any further barbs from either side, Neuer then insisted: "I don't want to talk about it anymore."

    However, Kovac predictably found himself fielding questions around the topic at a pre-match news conference for Saturday's Bundesliga match against Cologne.

    "As a professional at Bayern, you always have pressure," Kovac said. "In the national team, [Neuer] saved sensationally well against Northern Ireland [in Germany's 2-0 Euro 2020 qualification win in Belfast earlier this month]. You forget that quickly.

    "Both play well for their clubs, that's clear. But Manu is number one. There used to be one A and one B. And now? What can you do there?

    "I do not know. I believe the pressure is beneficial for both."

    RB Leipzig are the team applying the most convincing pressure to long-reigning Bundesliga kings Bayern.

    Kovac's men had to settle for a 1-1 draw in eastern Germany last weekend, despite taking an early lead through Robert Lewandowski, and they are two points behind early pacesetters Leipzig.

    "It's two points, we do not have to dramatise," Kovac said, pointing out Bayern hauled in a far greater deficit to Borussia Dortmund to win a seventh consecutive domestic title last time around.

    "I remind you, it was nine [points to Dortmund]. We played out a draw in Leipzig. They are a team that plays for the championship.

    "What haunts me is the game against Hertha Berlin [Bayern's season-opening 2-2 draw]. We should have won. These are the two points we currently lack. It's normal to take a point away from home against a championship rival."

    Cologne are winless after three draws in their first four Bundesliga games and should prepare to face Joshua Kimmich, who Kovac expects to recover from a twisted ankle sustained against Red Star.

    Winger Kingsley Coman (neck) and defender Lucas Hernandez (ankle) will be assessed.

  • FIFA president Infantino urges Iran to lift stadium ban on women FIFA president Infantino urges Iran to lift stadium ban on women

    FIFA president Gianni Infantino has called on Iranian authorities to repeal a long-standing ban on women entering football grounds.

    Iranian woman Sahar Khodayari died this month after setting herself on fire while awaiting a court case, following her March arrest for attempting to sneak in disguise into the Azadi Stadium in Tehran.

    She was known as Iran's 'blue girl', reportedly because of the colours of her favourite club, Esteghlal Tehran.

    Amnesty International official Philip Luther described the ban as showing "appalling contempt for women's rights" and encouraged world governing body FIFA to take "urgent action".

    The ban has been in place since 1979 but was lifted for the second leg of the AFC Champions League final between Persepolis and Japanese side Kashima Antlers in November 2018.

    Infantino said: "I am hopeful that the Iranian Federation and the Iranian authorities were receptive to our repeated calls to address this unacceptable situation.

    "I contacted them several times in the recent past and so has the FIFA administration. We have a delegation of FIFA members in Iran at the moment and I am looking forward to hearing good news from them.

    "Our position is clear and firm. Women have to be allowed into football stadiums in Iran.

    "We understand there are steps and processes that need to be taken before this is done in a proper and safe way but now is the moment to change things and FIFA is expecting positive developments starting in the next Iran home match in October."

    Iran, ranked joint 23rd in the world, host Cambodia in World Cup qualifying on October 10.

  • PSG goalkeeper Navas holds no grudges over Real Madrid exit PSG goalkeeper Navas holds no grudges over Real Madrid exit

    Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Keylor Navas insisted he took no special satisfaction from helping to pile the pain on his former club Real Madrid in the Champions League.

    A lacklustre Madrid were soundly beaten 3-0 at Parc des Princes on Wednesday and have now won just two of their opening five matches in all competitions this term.

    Navas, 32, made his second start for PSG after joining the Ligue 1 champions from Madrid in a deadline-day deal that saw Alphonse Areola head in the opposite direction.

    Another former Madrid player, Angel Di Maria, scored twice for the hosts before Thomas Meunier added the final blow in second-half stoppage time.

    "I am very happy because we won, not because we beat Real Madrid," Navas said.

    "My team-mates put in a great effort, gave their best and we won, which is really important for us.

    "I have no resentment towards anyone at Real. I just want to enjoy the moment I have here at my new club. Everyone is very motivated and I will defend my new colours as I did with Madrid.

    "I want to continue writing my story. The one I lived in Madrid was very beautiful. I want to be happy here, enjoy every moment and for my family to be happy, that is the main thing."

    Family, Navas claimed, was the reason he accepted PSG's offer of a four-year contract, and not because he had lost his starting place to Thibaut Courtois.

    The Costa Rica international spent five seasons at the Santiago Bernabeu, winning the Champions League three times.

    "I did not leave Real Madrid because of that," he said, when asked about the rivalry with Courtois.

    "I left because my family and I thought this was the best option for us. I was welcomed as if I had been here for a very long time.

    "The best I can give is to defend these colours to the death, to work hard and to try to win important games."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.