Rebic signs new Frankfurt contract

By Sports Desk August 10, 2018

Ante Rebic has put an end to speculation regarding his future at Eintracht Frankfurt by signing a new four-year contract with the Bundesliga club.

The forward had been linked with Bayern Munich and Manchester United after starring for Croatia on their run to the World Cup semi-finals.

However, he has opted against a reunion with Niko Kovac at the Allianz Arena and committed his long-term future to Frankfurt, with whom he won the DFB-Pokal last season.

"Ante was certainly one of the most positive stars of the World Cup and we do not have to hide the fact that he awakened interest," said sporting director Fredi Bobic.

"It speaks for Eintracht Frankfurt that we have managed to keep such a strong player, who can certainly be described as a high flyer.

"Ante was wooed by some of the top clubs and had one or two better overseas offers, but staying with us shows that he has the Eagles in his heart and that we are on the right path with our plans, that we have taken another step forward in terms of cost-effectiveness and can keep top players.

"With his dynamism and speed, he fits perfectly into the system of our coach Adi Hutter. It was important for us to keep his qualities in our ranks.

"For many Eintracht fans, Ante is a figure of honour - not least because of his two beautiful goals in the DFB-Pokal final - and will have been keeping their fingers crossed to hear this great news. "

Related items

  • Ausilio: Icardi has offer on table, won't be sold to Juve Ausilio: Icardi has offer on table, won't be sold to Juve

    Inter captain Mauro Icardi was offered a new contract two months ago but is yet to accept the proposal according to sporting director Piero Ausilio, who insisted the star forward will not be sold to Juventus.

    Icardi's wife and agent Wanda Nara claimed the Argentina international is not close to signing a new deal amid links with Champions League holders Real Madrid.

    Nara also revealed the 25-year-old – who has three years remaining on his current deal at San Siro – was close to joining Serie A champions and rivals Juve before the start of the season.

    Ausilio, however, dismissed the Juventus claims as he hit back at Nara, telling reporters: "We are consistent with what we've said over the last few months.

    "We are happy with Icardi as a player, with what he is giving on the pitch for Inter. He always takes responsibility and is afraid of nothing.

    "The rest doesn't matter: there is an official headquarters, I am at everyone's disposal. Icardi's agent knows where to find me, either in the office or by telephone. The rest, social media, the media, the Christmas box office movie, is of no interest to me.

    "I have been very honest, I said how things stand. Icardi received a new contract two years ago and signed it. The most recent proposal was two months ago, he received it and at this moment has not accepted.

    "That does not mean we cannot go forward. As far as we are concerned, we want to continue the negotiations and continue working together.

    "Inter and I will only do our talking in the office, in our headquarters, not on social media or on television. Beppe Marotta and I are at their complete disposal.

    "As for the claims we wanted to sell them to Juventus, I respond with a laugh and a no comment. It's better not to give names to suggestions like that at Christmas time…

    "I can happily say Icardi will never go to Juve. You were dragged into this issue by some fairytale comments, but it's not an issue."

    Icardi has scored 13 goals in all competitions this season, including nine for third-placed Inter in Serie A.

  • Napoli rejected £95m offer for Koulibaly amid United links – De Laurentiis Napoli rejected £95m offer for Koulibaly amid United links – De Laurentiis

    Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis confirmed the Italian side rejected a £95million offer for reported Manchester United target Kalidou Koulibaly.

    Star centre-back Koulibaly has been linked with Premier League strugglers United amid reports the Red Devils had a £91m bid turned down by Napoli ahead of the January transfer window.

    Discussing Koulibaly's future, De Laurentiis told reporters: "We are more than capable of developing top players and keeping them too.

    "When they offer £95m for a centre-back, that is a figure that has never been offered before, it means this is a top player."

    Koulibaly has established himself as one of the best defenders in the world since joining Napoli from Genk in 2014.

    The 27-year-old Senegal international – who has made more than 150 appearances in all competitions for Napoli – has featured in all 16 Serie A games this season, with the club second behind Juventus.

    "When we had Gonzalo Higuain who scored all those goals with Rafa Benitez and [Maurizio] Sarri, even though he missed some penalties and skipped the Champions League for a season, we had top players," De Laurentiis said.

    "When I hear lies like 'there are no top players at Napoli,' it drives me crazy. Was Edinson Cavani not a top player? Signing a second striker like Dries Mertens into a centre-forward who scores 30 goals, getting a talent like Arkadiusz Milik who had two serious injuries and still performs at the highest level… it means we Neapolitans like to complain."

  • Kovac feels for axed United boss Mourinho Kovac feels for axed United boss Mourinho

    Under-pressure Bayern Munich boss Niko Kovac expressed his sympathy following Jose Mourinho's sacking as Manchester United manager.

    A 19-point deficit in the Premier League and a limp display at leaders Liverpool proved to be the final straw for United, who axed Mourinho after two and a half years on Tuesday.

    Kovac has also found his position under threat this season with German champions Bayern nine points off the pace in the Bundesliga and the 47-year-old said he feels for Mourinho.

    "I just want to say that I feel sorry about every manager sacking," Kovac told reporters.

    "I can feel him and my biggest wish is that no manager will be sacked anymore."

    Bayern are languishing in third position following three defeats from 15 league matches under Kovac, who is in his first season at Allianz Arena.

    However, Kovac's Bayern have the chance to close within six points of leaders Borussia Dortmund when they face RB Leipzig on Wednesday.

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

Money coming in for the Reggae Girlz but a lot more is needed. https://t.co/8ZhdEPkL7Z https://t.co/E61bIch5sd
#Westbrook sparks mass brawl which spills into crowd 😲! More #NBA action tonight as #Lebron and the #Lakers face… https://t.co/vxcueGypnr
'#Chelsea fans will be 'respectful' following racism allegations' - #Zola Catch #Chelsea, #Arsenal, #Tottenham and… https://t.co/BqaLJY2kfD
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.