BREAKING NEWS: Rebic signs new Frankfurt contract

By Sports Desk August 10, 2018

Ante Rebic has put an end to speculation regarding his future at Eintracht Frankfurt by signing a new four-year contract with the Bundesliga club.

The Croatia winger had been linked with both Bayern Munich and Manchester United.

Related items

  • Simeone has no plans to cash in on Costa Simeone has no plans to cash in on Costa

    Diego Simeone insists he has no plans to sell Diego Costa during the January transfer window.

    Reports have suggested Tianjin Quanjian of the Chinese Super League are interested in signing the Spain international next month.

    Costa struggled for form in the early part of the season, scoring just once in 11 LaLiga appearances, and he is unlikely to return to action in the next month at least following surgery on a foot problem.

    However, Simeone does not believe the striker has played his last game for the club.

    "I hope, wish for and need Diego Costa in February, no doubt about it, and I believe he will be there," the Atletico boss told a news conference.

    Atleti travel to Real Valladolid on Saturday knowing that a win will see them go level on points with LaLiga leaders Barcelona, who face Levante on Sunday.

    Simeone accepts that only top spot will be enough to satisfy the demands of some fans, something he considers to be a positive reflection of Atleti's progress.

    "I think that Atletico fans fully appreciate what we're doing and the job the players have been doing for several years now, but of course the demand now increased," he said.

    "We have new responsibilities and need to be self-critical. We have to be demanding of ourselves. We've had four draws away [in a row in the league], so we need to improve to give a solution to what the fans demand.

    "I'm the most self-critical, with myself first of all, and as I said, being in second place now is not good for Atletico."

  • Fabregas: Chelsea being unfairly scapegoated over racism allegations Fabregas: Chelsea being unfairly scapegoated over racism allegations

    Cesc Fabregas thinks Chelsea have been unfairly scapegoated for a wider problem of racism in football.

    A small number of fans allegedly sung anti-Semitic songs during the Blues' 2-2 Europa League draw with Vidi on Thursday, prompting the club to issue a stern statement threatening "the strongest possible action" against anyone found to be responsible.

    The incident occurred just three days after the club banned four supporters pending furthers investigations following allegations that Manchester City star Raheem Sterling was subjected to racist abuse at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

    Fabregas is happy for Chelsea to be "taught a lesson" if it leads to the eradication of such behaviour, but he feels some are unjustly targeting the club as a whole based on the actions of a minority.

    "If we have to be taught a lesson at Chelsea to improve whatever happens around the world, then I'm happy. But to point the finger at one football club because of three or four of these people, I don't think it's deserved, and I don't agree with that," he said.

    "It's easy to point now at the Chelsea supporters that did that. Unfortunately, this happens in many places. To point the finger at one football club, I think it's really unfair. There's an investigation, the club is dealing with this very, very well. Whatever needs to be done will be done. I've no doubt about that.
     

    "When we cross the line with racism, it's too far, it shouldn't be allowed. The people that get caught, they will be punished, and they will be taught a big lesson in their lives. I hope this will help for many other reasons in life.

    "All I can say is when I'm in the street, when I'm at Stamford Bridge, all over the world when we've travelled with Chelsea, they've been amazing to me and to the team.

    "This is not the real face of Chelsea. I'm sorry to hear that. If something happened, it will be dealt with. The focus now is on Chelsea for what happened. Unfortunately, if we look around carefully all over the world, all sports, all football clubs, we will find things like that. The quicker we get rid of these people, the better."

    Fabregas started Thursday's draw in Budapest but is not expected to be in the first XI for Sunday's trip to Brighton and Hove Albion, having played 90 minutes only once in the Premier League this season.

    The 31-year-old has been linked with a January move to AC Milan and, although he would not discuss a possible transfer, he admitted he is unhappy with his playing time.

    "I know what my role is. Unfortunately, it's not the one I want," he said.

    "I'm keeping it professional as usual. I'm always trying to do my best, in the conditions, playing with the youngsters, playing with the first team, even though this year I still haven't played with the full, full first team one game. But I'm trying to do what I can.

    "It's a difficult situation for me, obviously. I'm playing the cups and the Europa League. I don't give up. I'm not someone who you'll see complaining or not giving his all because of that. I'll always be there showing my face when needed and if the time comes, the time comes."

  • Benitez picks up Premier League Manager of the Month award Benitez picks up Premier League Manager of the Month award

    Rafael Benitez has picked up the Premier League Manager of the Month award for November after steering Newcastle United to three successive wins.

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

Another medal for Jamaica's darling of the pool. https://t.co/Cixzy1xcnT https://t.co/dcsXo8pf9w
Nothing seems capable of stopping the Manchester Spurs so far this season. https://t.co/BhNgj21aZc https://t.co/xBAo994a1x
TT Netball focussed on 2019 World Cup. https://t.co/qLwz22K9iZ https://t.co/3BIR59cvvS
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.