Madrid would struggle to replace Inter target Modric - Jarni

By Sports Desk August 10, 2018

Following reports Luka Modric has asked to leave Real Madrid for Inter, former Croatia international Robert Jarni says the Champions League holders would find it difficult to replace the midfielder.

Modric is said to have been offered a lucrative contract to leave the Spanish capital for Serie A, raising the possibility of the 32-year-old treading a similar path to that of former team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo, who left to join Juventus earlier in the transfer window.

But Jarni, who won 81 Croatia caps and spent a season at the Santiago Bernabeu in the late 1990s, believes Madrid will be reluctant to let another key player go.

"We know what the market is like," he told Cadena SER. "I did not believe in the voices [that said he would leave].

"I know he likes Madrid a lot and the club does not have a player who can replace him."

Madrid have already allowed Mateo Kovacic to join Chelsea on loan for a season and - should Modric stay put - Jarni believes the Premier League switch will be of huge benefit to another of Croatia's World Cup stars.

"Kovacic has a lot of talent but we have been waiting for him for two years," added Jarni.

"He can be a footballer who goes a long way but he is not getting enough minutes and, with Luka at Madrid, he will not get them."

Related items

  • Casillas convinced Porto team-mate Militao will succeed at Real Madrid Casillas convinced Porto team-mate Militao will succeed at Real Madrid

    Eder Militao will prove to be an exceptional signing for Real Madrid, according to former Los Blancos stalwart Iker Casillas.

    Madrid announced the signing of the 21-year-old defender on March 14, for a reported €50million, with the transfer to officially go through on July 1.

    Militao only signed for Porto in August 2018, but goalkeeper Casillas has no doubt that his team-mate will go on to be a success at his former club.

    "It's fantastic management by Real Madrid," Casillas told reporters at a 'LaLiga Icons' event.

    "They've taken a very good player with a huge future. I'm convinced he'll succeed at Real Madrid."

    But while harbouring no doubts over Militao's ability to play at the highest level, Casillas warned that Madrid fans may have to show the youngster patience as he adapts to a new league.

    "Porto gambled on him when he was very young and he showed a big personality," Casillas added.

    "He's very noble and wants to do things the right way, I'm just a little afraid for his adaptation because in Spain it's different.

    "I always tell him that when he arrives in Madrid, he'll realise what it means."

    Brazil centre-back Militao has made 34 appearances for Porto across all competitions this season, and will have another chance to impress when the Primeira Liga giants take on Liverpool in the Champions League quarter-finals in April.

  • Inter general manager Marotta hopeful on Icardi's stand-off Inter general manager Marotta hopeful on Icardi's stand-off

    Mauro Icardi's stand-off with Inter could soon be resolved, according to the Serie A club's general manager Giuseppe Marotta.

    Icardi has not played since he was stripped of the captaincy in February, as talks over a new contract reportedly broke down.

    Marotta has since held positive talks with Icardi's wife and agent Wanda Nara, although the Inters striker remains sidelined with a supposed knee injury.

    But Marotta believes that the situation is close to a resolution, insisting that the decision to hand the captain's armband to Samir Handanovic was not a punishment for Icardi.

    "I hope the situation can mend itself," Marotta told reporters.

    "We're a family and parents must make decisions for the sake of their children, but they're not punishments. They're made so the kids can grow and get better.

    "That's how our decision should be interpreted. I hope we can mend this rift as quickly as possible because Icardi is a good lad who has given a lot to Inter and can still give us so much.

    "Now he's struggling with a knee problem. We hope it heals as quickly as possible and that he returns to the group after rehabilitation."

    Icardi's absence was felt by Inter as they went out of the Europa League on Thursday, but Luciano Spalletti's side responded in style by beating rivals AC Milan 3-2 in a thrilling Derby della Madonnina on Sunday, moving them up to third place in Serie A.

  • Casillas thrilled by Zidane's Real Madrid return Casillas thrilled by Zidane's Real Madrid return

    Zinedine Zidane's return to Real Madrid has pleased Iker Casillas, but Porto's goalkeeper believes that Los Blancos' hierarchy must realise they have made mistakes.

    Zidane quit his role at Madrid in May 2018, following a third successive Champions League triumph, but made a sensational comeback to the club following Santiago Solari's sacking.

    Madrid bounced back from their Champions League exit to Ajax by beating Celta Vigo 2-0 in Zidane's first game back in charge, but sit 12 points adrift of LaLiga leaders Barcelona.

    And Zidane's former club-mate Casillas has urged Madrid to learn their lessons following a turbulent nine months in which both Solari and Julen Lopetegui – Zidane's initial replacement – both lost their jobs.

    "It is clear that the hiring of Zidane makes me very happy," Casillas said, speaking at a 'LaLiga Icons' event.

    "But also the hiring of Zidane, and before that Solari, means that things have not gone well before.

    "The dismissal of Lopetegui, it was perhaps because the club did not understand that things are not going as well as they should go. When Solari entered, he had to improve or change the direction of the team again.

    "Of course when Zidane comes it is a reason for joy for all the fans of Madrid for all that has been achieved in recent years, but also it is because something has not gone well."

    Casillas spent his entire career with Madrid until leaving for Porto in 2015, winning five LaLiga titles and three Champions League trophies during his time at Santiago Bernabeu.

    The 37-year-old's contract at Porto is set to expire at the end of the season, and though Casillas revelead that discussions have been held over extending his deal, he is open to playing in LaLiga once again, despite acknowledging that it is unlikely.

    "I've been lucky enough to compete in LaLiga," Casillas said.

    "Unfortunately I cannot be there now. It is a bit of everything, what has happened with the national team, what I did at Madrid, it's going to be very difficult to repeat those successes. 

    "The stage at Madrid is past, but I would love to return to LaLiga."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.