Eintracht Frankfurt are yet to receive an offer for striker Luka Jovic, according to a senior club official.

Barcelona are reportedly readying a €50million bid for the Serbia international, who scored his side's goal in the 1-1 friendly draw with Germany this week.

Manchester City have also been linked with Jovic, who has scored 15 goals in only 18 Bundesliga starts in 2018-19.

However, Frankfurt's supervisory board chairman Wolfgang Steubing says they have not yet received any offer for the prized 21-year-old.

"The numbers that are rampant across social media are not yet on our table," said Steubing at a panel discussion in Frankfurt.

"There is definitely no offer. But maybe that will happen."

Jovic is on loan at Frankfurt from Benfica, but the Bundesliga club have the option to sign the player outright for a reported €7m fee.

Barca are favourites to secure his signature as they seek a long-term successor to Luis Suarez.

Eintracht Frankfurt star Luka Jovic has the potential to play for LaLiga champions Barcelona, according to Serbia head coach Mladen Krstajic.

Barca have been linked with Bundesliga sensation Jovic, who has scored 15 league goals and 23 in all competitions for club and country this season.

Jovic netted his first international goal for Serbia, who drew 1-1 against Germany in Wolfsburg on Wednesday, and Krstajic praised the 21-year-old forward.

"I'm not his agent so I do not know that," Krstajic replied when asked about Barca's reported interest.

"But he certainly has the potential to play at such a club [Barcelona]."

Jovic opened the scoring in the international friendly, with the rumoured Manchester City and Chelsea target heading home from close range before half-time.

Germany substitute Leon Goretzka salvaged a draw with 21 minutes remaining as Serbia ended the match down to 10 men following Milan Pavkov's stoppage-time red card.

Krstajic, whose Serbia will face Portugal in Euro 2020 qualifying on Monday, added: "Luka Jovic played really well today. He showed his potential. As for the game against Portugal, we still have to see.

"It does not matter if [Aleksandar] Mitrovic plays or not. Maybe we'll play there with two strikers.

"Portugal are the favourite in our group, but we are not scared of any opponents."

Leon Goretzka spared Germany's blushes as Joachim Low's men salvaged a 1-1 friendly draw with Serbia on Wednesday, their first game of a so-called new era without Mats Hummels, Jerome Boateng and Thomas Muller.

Low shocked German football earlier this month when announcing the World Cup-winning trio were no longer in his plans, and while Goretzka’s goal avoided defeat in Wolfsburg, the defensive performance suggested Hummels and Boateng could still be of use.

Germany's new-look back four held firm for just 12 minutes, as Barcelona-linked Luka Jovic nodded in from close range, with Serbia looking the more threatening for the majority of the first half.

The hosts coped better with Serbia's ability on the break in the final 30 minutes and were deserving of their equaliser courtesy of Goretzka, though they were unable to find a winner despite the late dismissal of Milan Pavkov.

Germany started brightly and controlled the early proceedings only for Serbia to find the net with the first attempt on target – Jovic expertly steering a header beyond Manuel Neuer after a corner fortunately deflected to the in-form Eintracht Frankfurt striker.

Serbia had a narrow escape at the other end eight minute before half-time, goalkeeper Marko Dmitrovic somehow blocking Timo Werner's goal-bound effort from point-blank range.

The visitors finished the first half on top, however, with a brilliant counter seeing Darko Lazovic square to the unmarked Adem Ljajic, who carelessly shot over with just Neuer to beat.

Serbia threatened again soon after the break when Lazovic horribly sliced a shot over from the edge of the box.

That miss was punished 21 minute from the end, Goretzka taking up possession inside the area, dodging one defender and firing a shot past Dmitrovic.

Serbia saw substitute Pavkov shown a red card for a studs-up challenge on Leroy Sane, albeit Germany did not have enough time left to take advantage of the extra man.

Luciano Spalletti believes that Inter lost any hope of salvaging their Europa League campaign as soon as Luka Jovic put Eintracht Frankfurt ahead in Thursday's clash at San Siro.

Jovic scored five minutes in to put Frankfurt 1-0 up on the night and in the tie, with Inter offering little of note in response as the Bundesliga side secured their place in the quarter-finals.

It would have been more for Frankfurt if not for Samir Handanovic's fine form, while Sebastien Haller also hit the bar and had a goal disallowed.

And Spalletti, whose side were without a recognised striker due to Lautaro Martinez's suspension and Mauro Icardi's continued absence, conceded Inter lacked the belief required to lodge a comeback.

"We lacked a bit of everything. We lost balance immediately and made some mistakes for the opener, then got irritable and lost even more balance," he told Sky Sport Italia.

"It became a very difficult game. If you don't clear your lines first, or make rough passes, everything becomes an open ball to challenge for. If you treat it with more quality, it's within your control.

"Even when moving the ball between spaces, we never created anything of note. The early goal just cranked up the tension and made us feel as if there was no chance. We lost it straight away.

"We had plenty of time to deal with the situation intelligently. Instead, we were immediately frenetic and chaotic, trying to force the ball through with individual moves rather than as a team."

Inter now face city rivals AC Milan in a crunch Serie A clash on Sunday, with both sides – along with Roma – battling for Champions League qualification.

Spalletti, however, has urged Inter's support to remain patient with their side despite seeing them fail in both the Champions League and Europa League this term.

"There are high expectations, we want to be a winning team straight away, but there's very little chance of that," he added.

"What we have to do is try to bring home some important results via balance, but we lost our balance immediately.

"We certainly need to do better than we did tonight. We need more confidence. We'll look back over this match and recognise we didn't read it the right way."

Inter's Europa League campaign came to a lacklustre end as Luka Jovic's early strike secured Eintracht Frankfurt's progression into the quarter-finals with a 1-0 win.

Kevin Trapp had been Frankfurt's hero with his penalty save in the goalless first leg and, without a recognised striker to call on, Luciano Spalletti's Inter side were toothless throughout Thursday's meeting.

Jovic showed Inter – still without Mauro Icardi, who has not played since being stripped of the captaincy in mid-February – what they were missing with a composed finish that paved the way for a dominant Frankfurt display at San Siro.

Sebastien Haller hit the woodwork prior to Jovic's strike and Frankfurt would have had more if not for fine work from Samir Handanovic and Milan Skriniar as Inter, who face AC Milan in a huge Serie A clash on Sunday, went out with a whimper.

Any doubts over Frankfurt's approach to the contest were put aside after four minutes – Haller hitting the crossbar after Handanovic had kept out Mijat Gacinovic's effort.

Inter failed to heed that warning, though, and Frankfurt had the lead a minute later when Jovic capitalised on Stefan de Vrij's misjudgement and lofted a delicate finish over Handanovic.

Haller looked to have made it 2-0 before the half hour, but the offside flag came to Inter's rescue before the striker and Gacinovic were denied in the same move by Handanovic's superb double save.

Jovic could have doubled his tally after the restart, only to slip at the vital moment, while Skriniar made a crucial challenge to deny Gacinovic a free shot at goal.

But, despite Jovic heading straight at Handanovic late on, Frankfurt were not made to pay for their profligacy, speculative efforts from Antonio Candreva and Skriniar the most Inter could muster as their European hopes were limply extinguished.

 

What does it mean? Frankfurt flying Germany's flag in Europe

With Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich having crashed out of the Champions League, Frankfurt are now the Bundesliga's sole representatives in Europe, and will rightly harbour hopes of going all the way.

Inter, meanwhile, must now focus on securing Champions League qualification via a top-four finish in Serie A, but their task continues to be overshadowed by doubts over Icardi's future.

Jovic back on the goal trail

Considering his exploits this season, three games without a goal represented a dip in form for Jovic, but the 21-year-old – who has 15 Bundesliga goals this term –  ended his mini draught in typically clinical fashion.

Keita toils in Icardi, Martinez absences

With Icardi not available and Lautaro Martinez suspended, Keita Balde Diao deputised up top for Inter, but despite offering pace and guile, he lacked the nous and positional sense to really test Frankfurt's line.

What's next?

It is the Milan derby up next for Inter, who are currently a point behind their city rivals in Serie A as both clubs aim to secure Champions League qualification. Frankfurt, meanwhile, take on Nurnberg as they push for a top-four Bundesliga finish.

Pep Guardiola admits being unable to trust Benjamin Mendy's fitness is likely to force him into the transfer market.

Manchester City made Mendy the most expensive full-back in football history when they signed him from Monaco for £52million in July 2017.

The France international's all-action performances and ebullient social media persona quickly established him as a fan favourite, but a ruptured cruciate knee ligament forced him to miss most of last season as City won the Premier League and EFL Cup.

Another knee surgery this term has been compounded by a reaction on the 24-year-old's return to training and Mendy will sit out Saturday's Premier League trip to Bournemouth, with Guardiola conceding he only made the bench for Wednesday's 1-0 win over West Ham due to injury problems elsewhere in his squad.

City lack specialist cover at left-back - Ukraine midfielder Oleksandr Zinchenko the latest player entrusted with filling the problem position - and their manager confirmed this is a situation he will look to address in the next transfer window.

"We are thinking about the chance to find some players who play in that position," Guardiola said.

"There are three or four positions I think we have to try to look for and some ideas we have. In the end I don't know what is going to happen, but it is an option to buy a left-back."

Guardiola rejected the suggestion that Mendy's struggles were in any way attributable to the demands of English football but was realistic over his prospects of avoiding further fitness woes in the long term.

"If it happens in two seasons it can happen in three," he said. "Hopefully not, he is working on that, but the truth is we could use him in few games.

"That is the reality. In the end, the strongest guys, every day they are there. That is not true [for Mendy] so that is why we are looking, maybe, for the next season."

Reinforcements in holding midfield are an established priority for Guardiola, who is under contract at the Etihad Stadium until June 2021.

City failed in their attempts to sign Jorginho last year and, in a similar scenario to their left-back predicament, do not have a like-for-like replacement for Fernandinho - another of the current injury absentees due to a groin problem.

Reports this week linked City to Serbia forward Luka Jovic – the Bundesliga's top scorer who is currently on loan at Eintracht Frankfurt from Benfica – but Guardiola would not be drawn on the other areas he is looking to strengthen.

"You know [we want a] holding midfielder. We are going to try and [there is] another position we are thinking about," he added.

"I'm not going to tell you which positions, I don’t want to tell you which players. You have sources, so you are going to find it, so no problem."

City are a point behind Liverpool at the Premier League summit, with 10 games to play this season.

Guardiola's men can apply pressure by leapfrogging the leaders with victory at Bournemouth in a game that takes place a day before the Merseyside derby at Goodison Park.

Luka Jovic is the Bundesliga's most prolific forward this season and his performances for Eintracht Frankfurt have not gone unnoticed.     

With a league-high 14 goals and 20 in all competitions, Jovic has been linked with Barcelona and reports have even gone as far to say the 21-year-old already has a personal agreement to join the LaLiga champions.

A product of Serbian giants Red Star Belgrade, Jovic – like many before him – was lured away from the capital by Benfica in 2016. He only made four appearances at Estadio da Luz, eventually moving to Frankfurt on a two-year loan deal.

The transfer included an option to buy and Frankfurt's decision to invest in Jovic has proved to be a masterstroke when you consider the reported fee stands at €7million and they could be set to receive in excess of €40m for the Serbia international.

Jovic's value has soared this season following an eight-goal Bundesliga campaign in 2017-18.

Through 22 rounds this term, Jovic has more league goals than Bayern Munich star Robert Lewandowski (13), Borussia Dortmund captain Marco Reus (13) and Paco Alcacer (12).

Jovic, who has already made history after becoming the youngest player to score five goals in a Bundesliga match during October's 7-1 rout of Fortuna Dusseldorf, has a better minutes-to-goal ratio (94) and shot conversion rate (31.82) than Lewandowski (144.46 and 21.31) and Thomas Muller (376.5 and 14.29), per Opta data.

His shooting accuracy (54.55) is also far superior to Lewandowski (39.34), while Jovic has also converted eight "big chances" and created 16 opportunities - making him a versatile threat up front.

With another six goals en route to the Europa League last 16, in-demand Jovic is seen as the ideal successor to Luis Suarez at Camp Nou. And as the goals continue to flow, Barca may be set for a transfer war amid interest from rivals Real Madrid and Chelsea.

Borussia Dortmund extended their lead at the Bundesliga summit despite being held to a 1-1 draw by Eintracht Frankfurt.

Lucien Favre's side were made to work hard for a share of the spoils, which proved a point gained in light of Bayern Munich's loss at Bayer Leverkusen. 

Marco Reus​ and Luka Jovic – two players battling it out to be the division's top scorer – exchanged first-half goals at the Commerzbank-Arena, but Frankfurt's Ante Rebic was particularly profligate. 

Dortmund now boast a seven-point advantage at the top of the table.

Having survived some early pressure, Dortmund almost forged ahead when Paco Alcacer got on the end of Jadon Sancho's cross, but Makoto Hasebe made a timely intervention. 

The breakthrough arrived after 22 minutes, Reus applying the simplest of finishes after a determined run from Raphael Guerreiro.

Reus should have doubled his tally a couple of minutes later but he dragged his effort wide when he had only Kevin Trapp to beat, with the Germany forward then striking the crossbar. 

The hosts stuck to their task and Rebic saw two chances go begging in quick succession, first volleying wide and then failing to find a way past Roman Burki from a tight angle. 

Dortmund failed to heed the warning signings, though, and Jovic levelled from Danny da Costa's delivery just after Rebic had headed onto the bar. 

Burki was at full stretch to keep out Rebic's powerful effort after the interval and Achraf Hakimi saw a speculative long-range drive fly over the top.

Ultimately neither side could find a second goal as Dortmund strengthened their position in the title race despite dropping points. 

Bayern Munich coach Niko Kovac refused to rule out a move for Atletico Madrid defender Lucas Hernandez, playfully suggesting the club will wait to see "what baby Jesus" brings them over Christmas.

On Wednesday, Lucas was the subject of rumours in the Spanish media claiming he was closing in on a move to Bayern in January.

The story said Bayern were willing to trigger the France international's reported €80million release clause, though an Atletico statement soon dismissed the claims.

Kovac was asked about the potential transfer in his news conference on Friday, and is confident Bayern will strengthen in January if needed necessary.

"As Brazzo [sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic] said, if we think we can strengthen the club, then we will do something," Kovac told reporters.

"But it must be all right, we will know more at the end of the transfer window. We always need quality, but we have some.

"Let's wait and see what baby Jesus has got for us. I'm happy with the team - if there is one more, it will be one that brings quality."

Bayern's next outing sees them come up against Kovac's former club Eintracht Frankfurt and two players they have been linked with, in Luka Jovic and Ante Rebic.

Kovac admires both, particularly Jovic, but would not expect Frankfurt sporting director Fredi Bobic to let them go easily.

"These are two really good players, and have also proven this internationally," Kovac said. "If Luka stays on the same path, he will be a world class player.

"He is one of the best players in Europe in his age group. Left foot, right foot, heading, he can do it all and is a complete player.

"But, we already have good players and Fredi [Bobic] has his plans this year, he will not just give anyone."

Luka Jovic cemented his place in the record books as he became the youngest player to score five goals in a Bundesliga match, inspiring Eintracht Frankfurt's 7-1 demolition of Fortuna Dusseldorf on Friday. 

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.