Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu says multiple LaLiga matches each season should be played outside of Spain.

Girona's home game against Barcelona last month was initially planned to be played at Miami's Hard Rock Stadium as part of a new deal between the league and media company Relevent Sports.

But Barcelona withdrew from the proposal citing "a lack of consensus over this proposal", with the Royal Spanish Football Federation and FIFA both having come out against the plan.

Barca defender Gerard Pique also voiced his concerns while the Association of Spanish Footballers said the body was not consulted over the idea.

Bartomeu, though, has indicated Barcelona are open to playing future LaLiga matches abroad.

"If we want LaLiga to be strong, we are to play in these games," Bartomeu said to BBC Sport.

"At Barca we have sometimes been talking to LaLiga and have been telling them that if you want to promote LaLiga more and more, then we should have three games of the year outside - one in America, one in the Middle East and one in Asia.

"We have to go and be closer to the fans. We do the summer tours in July and August to go closer to the fans. It's us showing respect to them, going to Miami would have been respect to our fans in the USA."

LaLiga's chief communications officer Joris Evers confirmed plans to play league games outside of Spain are continuing despite the Miami plan failing.

"Of course, we strongly support any club's international ambitions as we certainly share the vision of bringing La Liga action closer to fans everywhere and making LaLiga a stronger international brand," he told BBC Sport.

"We continue to work towards playing a LaLiga match outside of Spain and want to do that as soon as possible. We are working with all stakeholders to make it happen. We see this as a logical next step in the growth of our league and as a clear benefit to everyone involved."

 

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu played down a possible return to the club for Neymar, saying he had not spoken to the Paris Saint-Germain star.

Neymar, 27, has been linked with a return to the LaLiga champions, the club he left for PSG in 2017.

But Bartomeu said he had not spoken to Neymar, or the Brazilian's father, as Barca prepare for next season.

"I have never spoken to them, nor have the father or player called me to return to Barca. They have not called," he told El Partidazo de COPE.

"We are preparing for next season and the name of Neymar is not on the table.

"We are talking about a PSG player and I do not think that PSG want to get rid of a player like him."

Sidelined with a foot injury, Neymar has scored 20 goals in 23 games this season.

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu revealed he would first speak to Real Madrid if the LaLiga champions were interested in making a move for out-of-favour midfielder Isco.

Isco has been linked with a move away from the Santiago Bernabeu as he struggles for game time under head coach Santiago Solari.

The 26-year-old, who is contracted until 2022, has only made five league starts for Madrid this season, while coming off the bench 10 times.

He has been a regular in their Copa del Rey campaign, though, meaning he could come up against Barca on Wednesday.

Ahead of the semi-final first leg of the Copa Clasico, Bartomeu discussed how Barca would approach trying to sign the Spain international.

"If our coaches asked us for a player and they want to leave Madrid, of course we would sign them," he told El Partidazo de COPE.

"But it has not happened since I'm here.

"There are no non-aggression pacts. Each one tries to make their team more competitive.

"Isco? For the sake of Real Madrid I would speak with the president of Real Madrid [Florentino Perez]."

 

Focusing on Neymar at the expense of his team-mates is a bad thing, according to Paris Saint-Germain's assistant sporting director Maxwell. 

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu brushed off "rumours" of a bid for Paul Pogba as he doubted the ease of completing such a deal. 

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu believes Lionel Messi is "very happy" at the LaLiga club, praising the star for changing after taking the captaincy. 

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu is satisfied with the LaLiga champions' squad despite the club continuing to be linked with Paul Pogba.

Page 2 of 2
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.