The NBA has confirmed plans for 22 teams to restart the 2019-20 season, with a tentative resumption date of July 31.

Teams are set to stay at Walt Disney World Resort near Orlando, Florida and have all their games and practices on the campus after the NBA's Board of Governors approved proposals for a restart from the coronavirus-enforced break.

The 22 teams due to head to Florida are the 16 teams that occupied the playoff berths when the season was halted in March, along with the six teams that are within six games of the eighth and final seeds in the Eastern and Western Conferences.

It means the season is over for the Charlotte Hornets, Chicago Bulls, New York Knicks, Detroit Pistons, Atlanta Hawks, Cleveland Cavaliers, Minnesota Timberwolves and Golden State Warriors.

Each of the remaining 22 teams are set to play eight games to determine the 16 that will advance to the playoffs.

Under the proposals, the NBA Finals would end no later than October 12, three days before the 2020 NBA Draft is set to take place, and two months before the 2020-21 campaign begins.

The league was suspended in March after Utah Jazz star Rudy Gobert tested positive for COVID-19.

In a statement, NBA commissioner Adam Silver said: "The board's approval of the restart format is a necessary step toward resuming the NBA season.

"While the COVID-19 pandemic presents formidable challenges, we are hopeful of finishing the season in a safe and responsible manner based on strict protocols now being finalised with public health officials and medical experts. 

"We also recognise that as we prepare to resume play, our society is reeling from recent tragedies of racial violence and injustice, and we will continue to work closely with our teams and players to use our collective resources and influence to address these issues in very real and concrete ways."

The opening eight races of the truncated 2020 Formula One season have been confirmed, with Spielberg and Silverstone hosting two each.

All of the events are provisionally slated to be held behind closed doors and "under the strongest safety procedures", according to a statement published on F1's official Twitter account.

It also said further races will be announced in the coming weeks as the sport emerges from a coronavirus-enforced shutdown. 

The campaign will begin with the Austrian Grand Prix on July 5, with the teams remaining at the site for another event the following weekend.

After a race in Hungary on July 19, there will be a week off before a double-header on successive weekends at the home of the British Grand Prix.

The Spanish Grand Prix will take place on August 16, before events at Spa and Monza on August 30 and September 6 respectively.

F1's 2020 season had been scheduled to begin with the Australian Grand Prix in March but the event was cancelled when a member of the McLaren garage tested positive for coronavirus.

The COVID-19 pandemic led to a further nine races being postponed, with events in the Netherlands, Monaco and France all being written off.

It is still hoped rescheduled events can go ahead in Australia, Bahrain, Vietnam, China, Azerbaijan and Canada.

Manchester United have struck a deal to extend Odion Ighalo's loan move from Shanghai Shenhua until January 2021.

Ighalo joined United in January, going on to score four goals in eight appearances in all competitions prior to the suspension of the season due to the coronavirus crisis.

The Nigeria international had only been due to stay until May 31, yet United have now agreed to keep him at Old Trafford until January 31 next year.

Former Watford striker Ighalo – who supported United as a boy – has not yet started in the Premier League, but he has netted in each of his starts in the Europa League and FA Cup.

Speaking on MUTV last week, United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said he was hopeful of securing a deal for the 30-year-old.

"The loan deal went until the end of May now, so obviously he's supposed to be going back," Solskjaer said.

"We're in dialogue. They've been great towards us, his club, and allowed him to play for his dream club.

"It's been a dream for him and hopefully he can finish off what he started, hopefully with a trophy for us."

The Premier League season is due to restart on June 17, with teams having returned to contact training last week.

 

Mauro Icardi has completed a permanent move to Paris Saint-Germain from Inter after the Ligue 1 club triggered their purchase option.

Icardi moved to PSG on loan last year after his relationship with the Inter hierarchy became strained, and a return to San Siro rarely looked likely.

The first half of the 2019-20 season proved particularly productive for the 27-year-old, who had little difficulty dislodging Edinson Cavani in the starting XI and forming a formidable attack with Neymar and Kylian Mbappe.

Although his form dipped at the start of January, he still finished the shortened Ligue 1 campaign with 12 goals in 20 appearances.

Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio recently confirmed PSG's option on Icardi was due to expire on May 31, and the French champions have made their move just in time, with the forward signing a deal which runs until June 2024.

Reports claim PSG will pay an initial €50million, but the deal could eventually reach €57m.

Mauro Icardi has completed a permanent move to Paris Saint-Germain from Inter after the Ligue 1 club triggered their purchase option.

Icardi moved to PSG on loan last year after his relationship with the Inter hierarchy became strained, and a return to San Siro rarely looked likely.

The first half of the 2019-20 season proved particularly productive for the 27-year-old, who had little difficulty dislodging Edinson Cavani in the starting XI and forming a formidable attack with Neymar and Kylian Mbappe.

Although his form dipped at the start of January, he still finished the shortened Ligue 1 campaign with 12 goals in 20 appearances.

Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio recently confirmed PSG's option on Icardi was due to expire on May 31, and the French champions have made their move just in time, with the forward signing a deal which runs until the end of June 2024.

Reports claim PSG will pay an initial €50million, but the deal could eventually reach €57m.

The United Kingdom government has permitted the return of competitive sport behind closed doors from Monday, with Premier League chief executive Richard Masters welcoming the decision.

Strict guidelines set out by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) on Saturday must be adhered to, but professional sports will again be able to take place from June 1.

The Premier League has been suspended since March due to the coronavirus pandemic but is provisionally scheduled to restart on June 17.

Government minister Oliver Dowden said: "The wait is over. Live British sport will shortly be back on in safe and carefully controlled environments.

"This guidance provides the safe framework for sports to resume competitions behind closed doors.

"It is now up to individual sports to confirm they can meet these protocols and decide when it's right for them to restart.

"This is a significant moment for British sport. By working with clinicians every step of the way, we are creating the safest possible environments for everyone involved."

Premier League clubs were this week granted permission to return to contact training, and preparations are likely to continue gearing up towards a restart after a three-month hiatus.

All of the remaining 92 fixtures are due to be broadcast nationally, though police have requested at least six – including the game in which Liverpool can clinch the title – be played at neutral venues.

There have been three rounds of coronavirus testing at top-flight clubs in the past fortnight, with 12 of the 2,752 tests returning positive results.

Premier League chief Masters was encouraged by the decision.

He said: "The Premier League welcomes the government's announcement today [Saturday]. All major sports, including the Premier League, have been working together with the Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport to produce this stage three protocol.

"We could not have reached this point without the full support of the government, especially DCMS, Public Health England and the chief medical officer's team.

"We have provisionally planned to restart the Premier League on June 17, but there is still much work to be done to ensure the safety of everyone involved.

"This includes consulting with our clubs, players and managers - along with all our other stakeholders - as the health and welfare of our participants and supporters is our priority.

"If all goes well, we will be thrilled to resume the 2019-20 season in just over two weeks' time."

The Serie A season is set to resume from June 20, Italy's sports minister has confirmed.

Italy's top flight was suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic, but clubs were permitted to return to contact training this month.

Following a meeting with prime minister Giuseppe Conte, Vincenzo Spadafora announced on Thursday that the intention is for the 2019-20 campaign to return next month.

Coppa Italia semi-final games are to be held on June 13, with Serie A to get back underway the following week.

"Italy is starting up again and it is only right that football does, too," Spadafora said on Thursday.

"The league resumes on June 20 - I have already consulted with prime minister Conte. I hope we can complete the Coppa Italia in the week from June 13 to 20. It would be a signal to the benefit of all Italians, given it's the competition shown on public service [television].

"My wish is coming true for the whole world of sport to start again at the same time. We deny the story that I had any reservations about the world of football."

Juventus were a point clear of Lazio at the top of the table with 12 games remaining when the league season was suspended.

They were due to face Milan in the second leg of the Coppa semi-final in Turin on March 4, with the first leg having finished 1-1.

The other semi-final was also finely poised, with Napoli 1-0 up against Inter ahead of their second leg at the San Paolo.

The news comes after the Premier League announced plans to resume 2019-20 from June 17, having also suspended matches in March.

The Bundesliga returned last month and LaLiga intends to get back underway in June, with only Ligue 1 from among Europe's top-five leagues to declare the season over.

The Serie A season is set to resume from June 20, Italy's sports minister has confirmed.

Italy's top flight was suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic, but clubs were permitted to return to contact training this month.

Following a meeting with prime minister Giuseppe Conte, Vincenzo Spadafora announced on Thursday that the intention is for the 2019-20 campaign to return next month.

Coppa Italia semi-final games are to be held on June 13, with Serie A to get back underway the following week.

Four individuals returned positive results in the latest round of coronavirus testing in the Premier League, it has been confirmed.

A total of 1,008 players and staff were tested for COVID-19 on Monday and Tuesday this week. 

The Premier League revealed in a statement that four people from three clubs returned positive tests and will now self-isolate for seven days. 

It brings the total number of people to test positive from among Premier League clubs to 12. 

Watford defender Adrian Mariappa, Bournemouth goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale and Burnley assistant manager Ian Woan are among the confirmed cases from previous rounds of testing. 

The latest figures were announced on the day that clubs voted unanimously to resume contact training this week as part of plans to get the competition back underway, potentially in June.

A statement from the Premier League read: "The Premier League can today confirm that on Monday 25 May and Tuesday 26 May, 1008 players and club staff were tested for COVID-19.

"Of these, four have tested positive from three clubs.Players or Club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate for a period of seven days.

"The Premier League is providing this aggregated information for the purposes of competition integrity and transparency. No specific details as to clubs or individuals will be provided by the League and results will be made public after each round of testing."

England's top flight was suspended in March with Liverpool 25 points clear at the top of the table, having played a game more than champions Manchester City. 

The Bundesliga remains the only one of Europe's top five leagues to resume matches since the coronavirus pandemic took hold.

 

 

Four individuals returned positive results in the latest round of coronavirus testing in the Premier League, it has been confirmed.

A total of 1,008 players and staff were tested for COVID-19 on Monday and Tuesday this week. 

The Premier League revealed in a statement that four people from three clubs returned positive tests and will now self-isolate for seven days. 

It brings the total number of people to test positive from among Premier League clubs to 12. 

Watford defender Adrian Mariappa, Bournemouth goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale and Burnley assistant manager Ian Woan are among the confirmed cases from previous rounds of testing. 

The latest figures were announced on the day that clubs voted unanimously to resume contact training this week as part of plans to get the competition back underway, potentially in June.

 

 

Four individuals returned positive results in the latest round of coronavirus testing in the Premier League, it has been confirmed.

 

 

Premier League clubs have unanimously agreed to resume contact training in groups.

The British government gave teams the green light to recommence "competitive" training earlier in the week, with authorities gearing up for a potential return of Premier League match action following a hiatus of more than two months due to the coronavirus pandemic.

On Wednesday, all clubs agreed to the implementation of Stage Two of the Return to Training protocol.

A Premier League statement read: "Premier League Shareholders today voted unanimously to resume contact training – marking another step towards restarting the Premier League season, when safe to do so.

"Squads are now able to train as a group and engage in tackling while minimising any unnecessary close contact.

"The Premier League's priority is the health and wellbeing of all participants. Strict medical protocols are in place to ensure the training ground is the safest environment possible and players and staff will continue to be tested for COVID-19 twice a week.

"Stage Two of the Return to Training protocol has been agreed following consultation with clubs, players, managers, the PFA [Professional Footballers' Association], LMA [League Managers' Association] and the government. Discussions are ongoing as work continues towards resuming the season, when conditions allow."

Premier League clubs have unanimously agreed to resume contact training in groups.

Two individuals returned positive results in the latest round of coronavirus testing in the Premier League, it has been confirmed.

A total of 996 players and staff were tested for COVID-19 across Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, with the positive results coming from different clubs.

They will now be required to self-isolate for a seven-day period.

The findings are in addition to the six who were found to have contracted the virus in the first round of testing, which covered 748 people, on May 17-18.

A Premier League statement read: "The Premier League can today confirm that on Tuesday May 19, Thursday May 21 and Friday May 22, 996 players and club staff were tested for COVID-19. Of these, two have tested positive from two clubs.

"Players or club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate for a period of seven days.

"For the second round of testing, the number of tests available to each club was increased from 40 to 50.

"Previously, 748 players and club staff were tested for COVID-19 on May 17-18, with six testing positive from three clubs.

"The six who tested positive in the first round of testing are not included in the figures for May 19-22, as they are still within their seven-day self-isolation period.

"The Premier League is providing this aggregated information for the purposes of competition integrity and transparency. No specific details as to clubs or individuals will be provided by the League and results will be made public after each round of testing."

Burnley assistant Ian Woan and Watford defender Adrian Mariappa were confirmed to be among the six individuals to test positive in the first batch.

The Premier League has been suspended since March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Teams have returned to training – though no contact is permitted – and the target is for the competition to get back under way on June 12, though Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has acknowledged the date is flexible.

Talks have been held over whether clubs will be able to use their own stadiums for games, or whether neutral grounds will be required, and some players have declined to return to training due to COVID-19 concerns.

There are nine full rounds of fixtures to be played, while four teams have an extra game in hand.

The LaLiga season can resume in the week commencing June 8, Spanish prime minister Pedro Sanchez has announced.

Sanchez made his declaration as he addressed a range of coronavirus issues on Saturday.

LaLiga officials have been looking to Friday, June 12 as the date on which they want the league to return, and they can now push towards that target.

Sanchez said: "Spain has done what it should and now new horizons are opening for everyone. The time has come to resume many daily activities. From June 8, LaLiga will return to football."

Clubs have returned to training, although social distancing rules have been followed and full group sessions have not yet been able to take place.

Matches will have to be played behind closed doors, but Sanchez's announcement should allow the 2019-20 season to play to a completion.

When the league was suspended in March, Barcelona held a two-point lead over Real Madrid at the top of the table, with every team having 11 games still to play.

LaLiga president Javier Tebas said earlier this week he was "excited" about the prospect of matches returning. He stressed they could only proceed with clearance from health authorities, but the go-ahead from Sanchez means Spanish football will soon be up and running once more.

Until now, players have only been allowed to train in groups of 10 or fewer.

Reports on Thursday said LaLiga would restart on June 12 with a derby clash between Real Betis and Sevilla.

Page 1 of 17
© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.