Klopp feels responsibility towards Liverpool fans to 'try to help sort' Super League crisis

By Sports Desk April 19, 2021

Jurgen Klopp pledged to "help sort" the damaging fallout of Liverpool and 11 other clubs announcing a breakaway European Super League.

Klopp's side were held to a 1-1 draw against Leeds United on Monday at Elland Road, with Diego Llorente's late equaliser cancelling out Sadio Mane's first-half opener and preventing them from edging into the top four above West Ham on goal difference.

What a Champions League qualifying spot might mean for Liverpool within a rapidly changing wider context is open for debate and Klopp fielded questions on the Super League and the vitriolic response it has triggered before and after the game.

During a Sky Sports post-match interview, Klopp said: "I understand all the talks around and I don't like it as well" before delving into somewhat tangential criticism of Gary Neville.

However, at a subsequent news conference, Klopp insisted his opposition to the Super League would not lead to him walking away from Anfield, where he feels he has a duty of care to the players and supporters.

"I'm here as a football coach and a manager. I will do that as long as people let me do that," he said.

"It's not a situation… I heard that today I would resign or whatever. Times get even tougher, that makes me even more sticky that I stay here.

"I feel responsible for the team, I feel responsible for the club and I feel responsible for the relationship that we have with our fans.

"That's why. It's a very tough time, I'm sure. But I will try to help to sort it."

Klopp said he still believed Liverpool's Boston-based owners Fenway Sports Group were "reasonable people" but stated he had been left in the dark over talk about a Super League that has been derided as a closed shop and anti-competitive.

"I am six years in the club, round about. I know the owners. They are serious people, reasonable people and they care about us," he said.

"But they never have to explain these decisions to me or ask for permission. I was not involved in the process at all, I got information yesterday.

"Nobody knows what will happen but the team has nothing to do with it and I have not really anything to do with it, but people treat us like that.

"Leeds supporters came here tonight to shout at us. This afternoon when we were having a walk in the city people shouted at us. We have nothing to do with it."

Klopp added: "We are employees of the club and I feel responsible for a lot of things in this club. If I am involved in things then I take the criticism easily. The boys as well.

"But we are not involved in this. It's a tough one at the moment – pundits talking about the club and stuff like this. This club is bigger than all of us, we should not forget that."

Related items

  • Guardiola lauds 'exceptional' Torres after first Man City hat-trick Guardiola lauds 'exceptional' Torres after first Man City hat-trick

    Pep Guardiola hailed Ferran Torres' goalscoring instinct after the youngster plundered his first Manchester City hat-trick in the champions' 4-3 win at Newcastle United.

    Torres, who joined from LaLiga side Valencia ahead of the 2020-21 campaign, put City 2-1 up with a sumptuous flicked finish after Joao Cancelo cancelled out Emil Krafth's opener.

    A penalty from Joelinton and a Joe Willock goal – scored after the on-loan Arsenal man's spot-kick had been saved – put the Magpies ahead, but Torres scored twice in two minutes to seal an English record 12th straight away win for City.

    Torres' Friday evening treble took him to 13 goals for the campaign, with team-mate Phil Foden (14 goals) the only player aged 21 or under to have scored more for a Premier League club across all competitions this term.

    The St James' Park hat-trick hero also became the youngest ever player to score a treble for a team managed by Guardiola, at 21 years and 75 days.

    Guardiola was full of praise for the Spain international, who he believes has all the attributes to be a successful central striker.

    "It's his first season in England and his numbers are exceptional," the City boss told Sky Sports. "He came as a winger, but he has had to think about being a striker. When Sergio Aguero and Gabriel Jesus were out, he was there.

    "He didn't have minutes, but when he played he had a sense of goal. I'm really pleased.

    "He can be [a number nine]. We will use him, we used him and he was brilliant. His rhythm, especially defensively, has improved a lot.

    "The movement he makes as a striker. The [third] goal hits the bar and he knew where it would go. Strikers know intuitively where it will arrive. He has this talent, the first goal is fantastic."

    Asked if the emergence of Torres as a central striking option could mean City do not dip into the transfer market to replace the departing Aguero, Guardiola said: "I don't know what's going to happen. Maybe we buy a striker, maybe not.

    "We have a guy, he's young. A good transfer. I can use him on the left, right, or as a striker.

    "The season is too long, we can't play with just 11 players. The best striker we can buy can't play all the minutes."

  • Newcastle United 3-4 Manchester City: Torres hits hat-trick for record-breaking champions Newcastle United 3-4 Manchester City: Torres hits hat-trick for record-breaking champions

    Ferran Torres scored his first Manchester City hat-trick as the champions set a new English league record of 12 consecutive away wins with a pulsating 4-3 victory over Newcastle United on Friday.

    City – playing their first match since a third Premier League title in four seasons was confirmed on Tuesday – fell behind midway through the first half when Emil Krafth headed past Scott Carson, who was making his first top-flight appearance since May 2011.

    Pep Guardiola's side powered back through quickfire goals from Joao Cancelo and Torres, although Joelinton restored parity before the interval from the spot.

    Newcastle went ahead again when Joe Willock slotted home after his own penalty was saved by Carson, but Torres scored twice in two minutes to seal a wild win for the champions.

    Despite early pressure from City it was the hosts who opened the scoring after 25 minutes, Krafth heading his first Premier League goal from Jonjo Shelvey's corner.

    Shelvey then crashed a free-kick against the crossbar before two goals in 185 seconds resulted in City taking the lead.

    They pulled level in the 39th minute when Cancelo's strike from just inside the penalty area was deflected past Martin Dubravka by Jacob Murphy. Torres then added a second with a superb backheeled flick that looped over Dubravka from Ilkay Gundogan's free-kick.

    The Magpies pulled level in first-half stoppage time, though, Joelinton slamming home from the penalty spot after he had been brought down inside the area by Nathan Ake.

    Willock put Steve Bruce's side ahead in the 62nd minute, grateful for a tap-in on the rebound after Carson blocked his tame penalty, which was awarded after Kyle Walker tripped the on-loan Arsenal man.

    Torres drew City level again two minutes later, diverting home Gabriel Jesus' low cross from six yards.

    He then became the third youngest player, at 21 years and 75 days, to score a Premier League hat-trick for City when he expertly volleyed into the roof of the net after Cancelo's long-range strike crashed back off the post.

  • Laporte declares for Spain: What can the Man City man add to Luis Enrique's side? Laporte declares for Spain: What can the Man City man add to Luis Enrique's side?

    Aymeric Laporte is set to represent Spain at Euro 2020 after switching his allegiance from France.

    Manchester City centre-back Laporte has represented Les Bleus 51 times in total across the under-17 and under-21 age groups.

    However, the 26-year-old was never handed his senior debut, despite being called up three times by Didier Deschamps.

    Laporte came through the youth ranks at Athletic Bilbao and made 222 appearances for the Basque club until joining City in January 2018.

    He was granted Spanish citizenship earlier this week and FIFA has confirmed he can play for Spain with "immediate effect".

    A report by Marca earlier this week claimed Spain boss Luis Enrique lobbied the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) to look into the possibility of Laporte changing allegiance, so it feels safe to assume he will be a key part of the former Barcelona head coach's plans for Euro 2020.

    But how does Laporte compare to Spain's other options at centre-back?

    Regular game time

    Despite scoring the winner in last month's EFL Cup final against Tottenham and collecting a third Premier League title in four seasons at City, it has been a mixed campaign for Laporte on a personal level.

    He went into 2020-21 as Pep Guardiola's go-to centre-back but the arrival of Ruben Dias and John Stones' resurgence means he is no longer first choice at the Etihad Stadium.

    Nevertheless, the packed schedule undertaken across all competitions by the Champions League finalists means he has still played 27 games, starting 24 and completing 2,250 minutes.

    Of centre-backs used by Luis Enrique this season, that places Laporte third behind Villarreal's Pau Torres (41 games, 3,675 minutes) and Athletic's Inigo Martinez (32 games, 2,914).

    Sergio Ramos, who is now widely expected to have a new centre-back partner for La Roja, has been restricted to 21 games and 1,790 minutes by injuries this season, while Diego Llorente (14 games, 1,160) was compromised by a serious groin injury after joining Leeds United.

    One would-be international colleague Laporte knows very well is club team-mate Eric Garcia. The 20-year-old is set to leave City after declining to sign a new contract last term.

    While running down the clock to his anticipated move to Barcelona, Garcia has become a marginal figure in Manchester, despite Guardiola continuing to profess his admiration of his talents.

    His 10 appearances and eight starts amount to 693 minutes, not significantly more than 514 minutes across seven caps for Spain this season.

    Indeed, Luis Enrique started Garcia in all three of the March internationals, suggesting his lack of club action is not overly hindering his case.

    Keeping it tight in Manchester

    City's defensive improvements have been central to their success this season and, although no longer an automatic selection, Laporte has more than played his part.

    The 14 goals conceded with him on the field are just four more than Guardiola's side have let in amid Garcia's sporadic outings. Only Torres (13) has amassed more than his 12 clean sheets.

    Laporte ranks well across all of the key defensive metrics this season, with 18 tackles placing him level with Ramos and Torres.

    Martinez has made 24, while Marcelo Bielsa's famously intense style of play might be largely responsible for Llorente going into 31 tackles during his relatively smaller workload.

    Laporte's duel success rate of 63.7 per cent is the best of the bunch, with Martinez contesting and winning the most overall (263 and 149), while Torres is out in front in terms of recoveries (232).

    In the air and on the ground

    Standing at 6ft 3ins, Laporte will provide the kind of imposing presence Spain have perhaps lacked.

    He has contested 100 and won 69 aerials, similar numbers to the 103 and 62 returned by Torres, who is of similar stature. Martinez's 136 contested and 82 won again show the Athletic man getting through plenty of work.

    Perhaps Laporte's most celebrated quality is his capacity to start moves from the back via his superb left foot.

    Centre-backs completing a high proportion of their passes is not unusual, given the generally simple nature of them, but Laporte generally plays in a notably progressive manner.

    He has made 244 passes into the final third this season, more than any of the Spain centre-backs mentioned (Torres 240, Martinez 235), a trait that is sure to be welcomed by the attacking talents in Luis Enrique's squad.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.