EPL

West Ham confirm Rice injury blow

By Sports Desk April 05, 2021

West Ham have confirmed midfielder Declan Rice is facing a spell on the sidelines with a knee injury.

Rice could reportedly be ruled out for around a month due to the lateral knee ligament damage he suffered in England's 2-1 World Cup qualifying win over Poland at Wembley last Wednesday.

The loss of the inspirational Rice is a big blow to the Hammers' hopes of securing a Champions League spot, while England boss Gareth Southgate will be hoping he makes a full recovery in time for Euro 2020, which begins in June.

Rice said: "I'm of course disappointed to have picked up this injury but I'm in good spirits, have started my rehab already and hope to be back on the pitch with the lads soon.

"While I'm not able to be out there, I'll be giving everything I can to work towards that and supporting the team as we look to continue our very positive season."

West Ham boss David Moyes said: "It is disappointing. We knew after the England game that he wasn't going to be available but anyway we move on. We have been over the disappointment of that feeling.

"It gives other people opportunities and that's what squads are for and hopefully we have got the squad to deal with it.

"We know we're missing a good player but the team has been playing really well this year."

West Ham started Monday's Premier League clash with Wolves knowing a win would put them fourth in the table.

Related items

  • Solskjaer's son chimes in on dad's amusing Mourinho spat: I always get fed Solskjaer's son chimes in on dad's amusing Mourinho spat: I always get fed

    Jose Mourinho's bizarre post-match war of words with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has taken an amusing turn as the Manchester United manager's son chimed in, insisting he "always" gets fed despite his father's parenting being called into question on Sunday.

    A gripping duel between Tottenham and United at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium was followed by some similarly entertaining sniping between the two managers.

    Solskjaer, who had seen his side emerge 3-1 winners, was left infuriated by United having a first-half Edinson Cavani goal disallowed as a result of Scott McTominay catching Son Heung-min in the face with a flick of the arm in the build-up.

    The Norwegian was scathing of Son's reaction in his post-match interview with Sky Sports, saying: "If my son stays down like this for three minutes and he gets 10 of his mates around him… if he gets that in the face from one of his other mates and he needs 10 mates to help him up, he won't get any food."

    Mourinho unsurprisingly took issue with the comment, firstly snapping at reporters for them not asking Solskjaer about his words, then taking a pop at his counterpart's parenting techniques.

    "In relation to that, I just want to say, Sonny is very lucky that his father is a better person than Ole, because I think a father – I am a father – you have always to feed your kids, it doesn't matter what they do," Mourinho said.

    Noah Solskjaer, the United manager's eldest son, took the opportunity to address the comments of the two squabbling fathers and was quick to put at ease the minds of anyone actually concerned about him not getting any food.

    The Kristiansund player, 20, told Tidens Krav: "I laughed a lot on Sunday as well. Max [Williamsen, a team-mate] asked me if I had been given food when he met me before training.

    "I always get fed, I can assure everyone about that. Mourinho probably just wanted to take the focus away from the fact they had lost."

    Nevertheless, being threatened with a lack of food may not even be necessary for Noah – "I've never been lying down the way Son did," he added.

  • Florentino Perez re-elected Real Madrid president for fifth successive term Florentino Perez re-elected Real Madrid president for fifth successive term

    Florentino Perez has been re-elected as Real Madrid president for a fifth successive term after running unopposed.

    Perez, 74, called on the club's electoral board to set in motion the process of deciding a president and board of directors last week.

    Madrid have not carried out a full election since 2006, when the incumbent Perez lost out to Ramon Calderon, but he resigned three years later.

    Perez returned for a second stint then as the only candidate to stand and has been in place ever since.

    It briefly appeared as though Perez could have a rival in businessman Enrique Riquelme, having suggested an intention to run.

    However, a Madrid statement released on Tuesday confirmed Perez was the only declared candidate and he retains his position.

    "On April 13, 2021 in Madrid, at 00:01 hours, at the headquarters of the Real Madrid Club de Futbol electoral board, the individuals listed at the beginning met to discuss and decide on the matters listed below," the statement read.

    "Given the existing health situation resulting from COVID-19, the president [of the electoral board], Mr. Jose Manuel de Carlos Grau, has decided that the members of the electoral board who so wish may participate telematically.

    "Having presented no more than one candidacy declared by this electoral board and by virtue of article 40, section E, point 2 of the current by-laws of the club, Mr Florentino Perez Rodriguez is declared president of Real Madrid and the board of directors of Real Madrid."

  • Mbappe has record in sights as PSG look to get revenge on Bayern - The Champions League in Opta numbers Mbappe has record in sights as PSG look to get revenge on Bayern - The Champions League in Opta numbers

    Paris Saint-Germain are 90 minutes away from avenging their Champions League final defeat to Bayern Munich.

    The Ligue 1 champions go into the return leg of the quarter-final with Bayern at the Parc des Princes with a one-goal advantage and with their talisman eyeing a slice of history in Europe's elite club competition.

    If PSG complete their task and ensure there is to be a different name on the trophy this year, then in-form Chelsea will fancy their chances of lifting club football's most sought-after prize.

    Led by the man who guided PSG to the showpiece last season, the Blues hold a comfortable lead in their last-eight encounter with Porto.

    All the evidence points to Chelsea going through to the semis as they look to replicate their team of 2011-12, who overcame Bayern in a penalty shoot-out in the final.

    Here we look at Tuesday's quarter-final clashes with the help of Opta numbers.

     

    Paris Saint-Germain v Bayern Munich - Omens against holders as Mbappe eyes record

    The holders must score at least twice if they are to keep their hopes of retaining the trophy alive, having lost the home leg of this rematch of last season's final 3-2 at the Allianz Arena.

    And history is against Hansi Flick's side turning it around. 

    PSG have won all four previous games when they have hosted Bayern in European competition between 1994 and 2017.

    Bayern have been eliminated on each of the most recent four occasions they have lost the first leg of a Champions League knockout tie, while only three of the past 50 teams to lose the first leg at home in the competition have progressed.

    However, one of those teams did so against PSG, Manchester United coming from behind to knock out the Ligue 1 side at the Parc des Princes in the last 16 in 2018-19.

    If PSG are to unseat the champions, they will likely look to Kylian Mbappe.

    Mbappe was on target twice in the first leg and has eight goals in as many appearances for PSG in the Champions League this season. If he nets again on Tuesday, he will set a new record for the most goals by a French player in a single Champions League campaign, surpassing David Trezeguet in 2001-02 and Wissam Ben Yedder in 2017-18.

    Should he score against Bayern once more, he will have netted in four consecutive knockout appearances for the second time in his career, having done so with Monaco in 2017, and would become the first PSG player to achieve that feat. 

     

    Chelsea v Porto - Seville shock unlikely to be on the cards

    Thomas Tuchel's Blues will not have the benefit of any home comforts when Chelsea attempt to finish the job and reach the last four having won 2-0 in the first match.

    As with the opening leg, Chelsea and Porto will do battle in Seville due to coronavirus restrictions, with the odds firmly in the London club's favour.

    Indeed, there have been only four previous instances of a team progressing after losing the home leg of a Champions League knockout tie without scoring – Ajax in 1995-96 v Panathinaikos, Inter in 2010-11 v Bayern, United in 2018-19 v PSG and Tottenham in 2018-19 v Ajax.

    Porto pulled off one of the shocks of the Champions League when they knocked out Juventus in the last 16, however, they will need to reverse a worrying trend if they are to do the same to Chelsea.

    Since beating Leicester City 5-0 in the group stages of this competition in December 2016, Porto are winless in seven matches against English sides in the Champions League (D2 L5), scoring only twice while conceding 16 goals themselves.

    The smart money is on that streak continuing, with Chelsea unbeaten in the Champions League this season (P9 W7 D2 L0).

    They could become the first Premier League team to go unbeaten across their first 10 games in a season in the competition since Liverpool in 2017-18 (11 games).

    A solid defence has been key to their success in Europe this term, as Chelsea have kept seven clean sheets in nine Champions League matches this season, the joint-most along with Manchester City; the last side to keep more clean sheets in a single campaign in the competition was Juventus in 2016-17 (nine).

    The Blues are looking to keep a clean sheet in four consecutive matches in the tournament for the first time since a run of six ending in March 2008. 

    Great credit for that run must go to goalkeeper Edouard Mendy, who can tie the record of Fabian Barthez (eight with Manchester United in 2002-03) for the most consecutive Champions League games won by a goalkeeper for an English club with another triumph over Porto.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.