Diakhaby was subjected to an 'extremely serious racial insult', claims Valencia president

By Sports Desk April 05, 2021

Valencia president Anil Murthy has called on LaLiga to do more in the fight against racism after Mouctar Diakhaby was subjected to what he described as an "extremely serious racial insult" against Cadiz.

The top-flight meeting on Sunday – which finished 2-1 to Cadiz – was stopped for 20 minutes after Valencia's players left the field following an altercation between Diakhaby and Cadiz defender Juan Cala.

Valencia's players subsequently walked off the pitch, before returning to the field without Diakhaby, who asked to be taken off.

After the match had restarted, Valencia tweeted their version of events, stating Diakhaby had suffered a "racist insult".

Cadiz issued a statement following the game, insisting any form of racism was not tolerated.

They also added they had no doubts over the honesty of their squad, with Cala having been picked up by television cameras pleading his innocence during the game.

Cadiz coach Alvaro Cervera said: "I saw the same as you did. They left the field alongside the referee because they said that Cala had insulted one of their players.

"Cala says that at no point did he insult the opposition player."

Cadiz confirmed on Monday that Cala would address the media on the subject after training on Tuesday. 

Speaking alongside Diakhaby in a video posted on Valencia's official website, Murthy said: "Yesterday, in our game against Cadiz, we witnessed a flagrant incident of racism. 

"There is no other way to describe it. Our player, Mouctar Diakhaby, was the recipient of an extremely serious racial insult by Juan Cala.

"Although Cala may deny it, we believe Mouctar completely. This type of behaviour should not be tolerated in football and in society in general, and we at Valencia condemn racism in any form. We fully support our player.

"There should be no doubt that Valencia will defend Mouctar Diakhaby to the fullest, and fight to ensure that such lamentable events are not repeated."

Valencia captain Jose Luis Gaya said the team had been told they would be penalised if they did not return to finish the game – a claim backed up by head coach Javi Gracia.

Murthy described Sunday's incident as a "step back in the fight against racism" and has demanded LaLiga change the rules to better protect those who suffer racist abuse.

"We spoke with LaLiga this morning to encourage them to also see their investigation through to the end," he added. "This incident cannot be left behind, and cannot be repeated with any other player for any other team.

"We are saddened that, following the incident, there was no reaction to stop the game, and that it was our players who were the ones to leave the field of play. There cannot be a lack of action in light of these types of situations.

"From now on, we would like to see some kind of reaction to change these protocols, in order to protect those who are vulnerable. If we don't change this, then it will give a bad example to everybody.

"We are proud of the reaction from our team, and we still do not understand why Diakhaby, the recipient of this racial insult, received a yellow card.

"We also do not understand why the players had to return to the pitch due to the regulations not protecting the victims and the team in such cases.

"This must change. Changes have been made in other leagues, and now the same must be done in Spain. 

"We cannot turn a blind eye to something as serious as racism. It is time for a change, and Valencia will go all the way in our support of our player and the fight against racism. A step back in the fight against racism was taken yesterday."

Related items

  • Florentino Perez re-elected Real Madrid president for fifth successive term Florentino Perez re-elected Real Madrid president for fifth successive term

    Florentino Perez has been re-elected as Real Madrid president for a fifth successive term after running unopposed.

    Perez, 74, called on the club's electoral board to set in motion the process of deciding a president and board of directors last week.

    Madrid have not carried out a full election since 2006, when the incumbent Perez lost out to Ramon Calderon, but he resigned three years later.

    Perez returned for a second stint then as the only candidate to stand and has been in place ever since.

    It briefly appeared as though Perez could have a rival in businessman Enrique Riquelme, having suggested an intention to run.

    However, a Madrid statement released on Tuesday confirmed Perez was the only declared candidate and he retains his position.

    "On April 13, 2021 in Madrid, at 00:01 hours, at the headquarters of the Real Madrid Club de Futbol electoral board, the individuals listed at the beginning met to discuss and decide on the matters listed below," the statement read.

    "Given the existing health situation resulting from COVID-19, the president [of the electoral board], Mr. Jose Manuel de Carlos Grau, has decided that the members of the electoral board who so wish may participate telematically.

    "Having presented no more than one candidacy declared by this electoral board and by virtue of article 40, section E, point 2 of the current by-laws of the club, Mr Florentino Perez Rodriguez is declared president of Real Madrid and the board of directors of Real Madrid."

  • Rumour Has It: European giants Real Madrid, PSG and Inter circle for Lingard Rumour Has It: European giants Real Madrid, PSG and Inter circle for Lingard

    Jesse Lingard has been in blistering form during his six-month loan spell at West Ham.

    As a result, speculation is rife over the 28-year-old England international's future.

    Lingard is contracted with parent club Manchester United for one more season.

     

    TOP STORY - EUROPEAN GIANTS CIRCLE FOR LINGARD

    European powerhouse clubs Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid and Inter are all interested in Lingard, claims ESPN.

    Lingard has scored eight goals in nine games for the Hammers, who are surprisingly sitting fourth in the Premier League.

    ESPN reports those clubs are monitoring Lingard's situation, with West Ham keen to sign him permanently and the player yet to declare a preference, although it is believed he wants to play  Champions League football.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Serbia international Sergei Milinkovic-Savic has garnered interest from European giants Manchester United, Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. The midfielder is contracted with Lazio until 2024.

    - Manchester United may have missed out on Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho last off-season but they are set to revive their interest, says the Manchester Evening News.

    - Calciomercato reports that French winger Ousmane Dembele is open to joining Juventus from Barcelona in the next transfer window.

    - Tottenham are making their move to sign off-contract Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng, reports Sky Germany.

    - Arsenal have joined the race to sign Celtic forward Odsonne Edouard, alongside Leicester City, according to the Telegraph.

    - Tuttosport says Torino's Italy international forward Andrea Belotti is being courted by Chelsea, Everton, AC Milan and Atletico Madrid.

    - Fiorentina want to hire Gennaro Gattuso from Napoli as their next coach, claims Sky Sport Italia. Gattuso is out of contract at Napoli at the end of the season.

  • Borussia Dortmund have made it clear they do not want to sell Haaland – Raiola Borussia Dortmund have made it clear they do not want to sell Haaland – Raiola

    Borussia Dortmund have made it clear they do not want to sell Erling Haaland in the next transfer window, the striker's agent Mino Raiola has said.

    Haaland has become arguably the most in-demand player in Europe following a spectacular individual season for Dortmund, despite the team's inconsistencies.

    Haaland has scored 33 goals and provided nine assists in 34 appearances in all competitions this term. Among players in Europe's top-five leagues, only Robert Lewandowski (50), Harry Kane (45) and Kylian Mbappe (43) have been directly involved in more goals.

    With the 20-year-old excelling at Signal Iduna Park and with Dortmund facing a battle to qualify for next season's Champions League, rumours have persisted that the player could seek to leave before next season.

    Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona have been touted as the most likely destinations for Haaland, who could command a fee in the region of €150million, according to reports.

    Raiola, however, says Dortmund are insistent they are not prepared to sell the forward this year, although he indicated he would be prepared to speak with interested parties.

    "I can confirm that I have held some talks in Dortmund," Raiola told Sport1. "There's no war between Dortmund and us, absolutely not.

    "My relation to [Dortmund directors] Michael Zorc, Aki Watzke and Sebastian Kehl is as good as it was before.

    "Zorc has made it clear that Dortmund do not want to sell Erling this summer. I respect his opinion, which does not automatically mean that I share it. BVB made their views very clear. That's okay for us."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.