Koeman: Griezmann omission 'not a punishment'

By Sports Desk February 27, 2021

Ronald Koeman insists he was not sending a message to Antoine Griezmann by leaving the misfiring forward on the bench for Barcelona's 2-0 victory over Sevilla.

Griezmann has gone six games without a goal in all competitions and was named among the Barca substitutes for the second match running on Saturday.

Unlike in the 3-0 win over Elche in midweek, the France international was not brought on as Koeman instead turned to Martin Braithwaite with the game poised at 1-0.

Explaining his decision to bring on Braithwaite instead of Griezmann for the final eight minutes, Koeman said: "It's not a message, no. 

"We decided to change the system and, to be able to get in behind, we put Dembele up top. 

"With the first goal, we said that we needed someone quicker than Griezmann on [Lionel] Messi's side. It's not a punishment."

Dembele opened the scoring just short of the half-hour mark at the Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan and Messi sealed the victory with his 30th goal against Sevilla in LaLiga - his best return against any opponent.

Barca's win was their ninth in 10 LaLiga outings and leaves them two points adrift of leaders Atletico Madrid, who have a couple of games in hand.

The Catalan giants face Sevilla again on Wednesday at Camp Nou, where they will be looking to overturn a 2-0 deficit in the second leg of their Copa del Rey semi-final tie.

And after overcoming the Europa League winners in the league, Koeman is hopeful of a repeat scoreline when the teams reconvene in Catalonia.

"Of course we believe," he said. "That's our mentality, but Wednesday's game will be different because they will analyse the mistakes they made. 

"But yes, of course, we have a chance. I don't want to give more importance to the Copa game. We have to win and we have to fight. We will try to stay in all competitions until the end."

The victory may have come at a cost for Barcelona, however, as Gerard Pique and replacement Ronald Araujo - only just back from an ankle injury - both sustained knocks.

Pedri also left the field in the final 20 minutes after injuring his leg and will be assessed on Sunday, with all three players now doubtful for the cup tie against Sevilla.

"We have to wait and see about the injuries, we still don't know," Koeman said. 

"But despite the changes we had to make we kept the same rhythm because we have a deep squad that doesn't get annoyed [when not playing]."

Related items

  • Real Madrid captain Ramos tests positive for coronavirus Real Madrid captain Ramos tests positive for coronavirus

    Sergio Ramos has tested positive for coronavirus, Real Madrid have confirmed.

    Ramos, 35, has been dogged by injuries in 2020-21, with several absences restricting him to just 15 LaLiga appearances this season.

    His streak of bad luck continued on Tuesday as Madrid revealed the experienced centre-back is now isolating having contracted COVID-19.

    The club have not revealed any further details relating to whether he is symptomatic or for how long he will have to stay away from the training ground.

    However, as long as it is an isolated infection, this news will not directly impact Zinedine Zidane's selections as Ramos was already due to be out of action until the end of the month with a calf injury sustained on international duty in March.

    Nevertheless, even without him Madrid have managed to pull themselves back into a title challenge, with Saturday's 2-1 Clasico win moving them up to second and just a point behind leaders Atletico Madrid.

    Madrid will hope Ramos can return for the final weeks of the season and help secure the title again in what could be his final campaign at the club, with his contract expiring in June.

    Los Blancos are also doing well in the Champions League, as they go to Liverpool for their quarter-final second leg 3-1 up from last week's first meeting.

  • Solskjaer's son chimes in on dad's amusing Mourinho spat: I always get fed Solskjaer's son chimes in on dad's amusing Mourinho spat: I always get fed

    Jose Mourinho's bizarre post-match war of words with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has taken an amusing turn as the Manchester United manager's son chimed in, insisting he "always" gets fed despite his father's parenting being called into question on Sunday.

    A gripping duel between Tottenham and United at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium was followed by some similarly entertaining sniping between the two managers.

    Solskjaer, who had seen his side emerge 3-1 winners, was left infuriated by United having a first-half Edinson Cavani goal disallowed as a result of Scott McTominay catching Son Heung-min in the face with a flick of the arm in the build-up.

    The Norwegian was scathing of Son's reaction in his post-match interview with Sky Sports, saying: "If my son stays down like this for three minutes and he gets 10 of his mates around him… if he gets that in the face from one of his other mates and he needs 10 mates to help him up, he won't get any food."

    Mourinho unsurprisingly took issue with the comment, firstly snapping at reporters for them not asking Solskjaer about his words, then taking a pop at his counterpart's parenting techniques.

    "In relation to that, I just want to say, Sonny is very lucky that his father is a better person than Ole, because I think a father – I am a father – you have always to feed your kids, it doesn't matter what they do," Mourinho said.

    Noah Solskjaer, the United manager's eldest son, took the opportunity to address the comments of the two squabbling fathers and was quick to put at ease the minds of anyone actually concerned about him not getting any food.

    The Kristiansund player, 20, told Tidens Krav: "I laughed a lot on Sunday as well. Max [Williamsen, a team-mate] asked me if I had been given food when he met me before training.

    "I always get fed, I can assure everyone about that. Mourinho probably just wanted to take the focus away from the fact they had lost."

    Nevertheless, being threatened with a lack of food may not even be necessary for Noah – "I've never been lying down the way Son did," he added.

  • Florentino Perez re-elected Real Madrid president for fifth successive term Florentino Perez re-elected Real Madrid president for fifth successive term

    Florentino Perez has been re-elected as Real Madrid president for a fifth successive term after running unopposed.

    Perez, 74, called on the club's electoral board to set in motion the process of deciding a president and board of directors last week.

    Madrid have not carried out a full election since 2006, when the incumbent Perez lost out to Ramon Calderon, but he resigned three years later.

    Perez returned for a second stint then as the only candidate to stand and has been in place ever since.

    It briefly appeared as though Perez could have a rival in businessman Enrique Riquelme, having suggested an intention to run.

    However, a Madrid statement released on Tuesday confirmed Perez was the only declared candidate and he retains his position.

    "On April 13, 2021 in Madrid, at 00:01 hours, at the headquarters of the Real Madrid Club de Futbol electoral board, the individuals listed at the beginning met to discuss and decide on the matters listed below," the statement read.

    "Given the existing health situation resulting from COVID-19, the president [of the electoral board], Mr. Jose Manuel de Carlos Grau, has decided that the members of the electoral board who so wish may participate telematically.

    "Having presented no more than one candidacy declared by this electoral board and by virtue of article 40, section E, point 2 of the current by-laws of the club, Mr Florentino Perez Rodriguez is declared president of Real Madrid and the board of directors of Real Madrid."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.