Bellerin found lengthy Spain absence tough going

By Sports Desk November 09, 2020

Spain defender Hector Bellerin struggled to accept being out of international football for such a long time.

The Arsenal right-back was called up to Spain's squad for the first time in four years after Sevilla's Jesus Navas was ruled out through injury.

He won the last of his three caps for La Roja in a friendly against Georgia in July 2016 and, although he made Spain's squad for Euro 2016, he did not feature at the tournament.

Bellerin, however, was given a recall by coach Luis Enrique for his side's friendly with the Netherlands plus the Nations League fixtures against Switzerland and Germany.

The 25-year-old has been one of Arsenal's most consistent performers this season and played every minute of their eight Premier League games.

He has made 12 interceptions and eight tackles with a success rate of 88 per cent in those matches, helping the Gunners to keep two clean sheets.

"Yes, I am so happy getting back home. It has been almost five years since the last time, so I am very happy," Bellerin said in an interview with the Royal Spanish Football Federation.

"They have been tough years, and they always are when you cannot join the national team, but I am very proud and happy now. I can't wait to start."

Another player thrilled to be recalled by Luis Enrique after a break is Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke, who last featured for Spain just over two years ago.

Koke, 28, has not featured for Spain since a 4-1 friendly defeat of Wales in October 2018.

"I am very happy to be here again with the national team," Koke explained.

"It has been a long time, but I do have the same excitement that I had on my first day and I am looking forward to helping the team win the games."

Spain are top of Nations League Group A4 with seven points but saw their 13-game unbeaten run (W10 D3) in competitive matches ended last time out with a surprise 1-0 loss to Ukraine.

Left-back Jose Luis Gaya has warned his team-mates not to let any complacency seep into their forthcoming performances.

"It is true we are still first, and that gives us a little advantage. But we know how football is and everything can happen," added the Valencia defender.

"We need to try on winning all the games, that's what this jersey demands.

"Therefore, we cannot get relaxed and we have to face two official games plus the friendly one as they were finals."

Related items

  • Jovic matches Madrid tally in 28-minute Eintracht cameo Jovic matches Madrid tally in 28-minute Eintracht cameo

    It was as if he had never been away.

    Luka Jovic has endured a dismal start to his Real Madrid career but was quickly back among the goals at Eintracht Frankfurt.

    Having failed to impress in a season and a half in LaLiga following a €60million transfer from Eintracht to Madrid, Jovic headed back to Frankfurt on loan this week.

    And a second debut swiftly followed, with Jovic called from the bench after 62 minutes at home to Schalke.

    The game was all square at 1-1 at the time, with Andre Silva's first-half opener immediately cancelled out by Matthew Hoppe, the teenager whose hat-trick last week had secured Schalke's first win in 31 Bundesliga matches.

    There was to be no second straight success for the strugglers, however, as Jovic required only 10 minutes to restore Eintracht's lead, hammering Filip Kostic's cutback into the roof of the net.

    The loanee then made the points safe in stoppage time as he moved inside past Ozak Kabak to again finish right-footed and clinch a 3-1 win.

    "You can tell that the air here is good for him," sporting director Fredi Bobic told Sky Sport afterwards. "The goals were top class, the whole process. That is a great art.

    "I always get annoyed that I always have to sell the best players. Now he's back for a short time. That's what I'm most happy about."

    With just two LaLiga goals to his name, the brace meant Jovic had netted as many times in 28 minutes back in the Bundesliga as in 32 matches for Madrid in all competitions.

    The strikes came from Jovic's only two shots on Sunday, while he also completed 17 of his 18 passes in a lively display.

  • Gnabry injury not serious, confirms Bayern boss Flick Gnabry injury not serious, confirms Bayern boss Flick

    Serge Gnabry did not suffer a serious injury during Bayern Munich's 2-1 victory over Freiburg, Hansi Flick has confirmed.

    Germany international Gnabry sat out last weekend's loss to Borussia Monchengladbach with a shin problem but played 90 minutes in the shock penalty shoot-out loss to Holstein Kiel in the DFB-Pokal on Wednesday.

    He had to be replaced after 28 minutes at the Allianz Arena on Sunday but Flick is not expecting to be without the winger for a prolonged period.

    "The injury is not serious, I have heard from the doctors. The muscle in his back cramped up," said the Bayern boss.

    Bayern were leading when Gnabry departed thanks to Robert Lewandowski's 21st goal of the season, a record for the first half of a Bundesliga season, surpassing Gerd Muller's 20 in 1968-69.

    Nils Petersen equalised for Freiburg in the 62nd minute, scoring just 28 seconds after coming on as a substitute. His Bundesliga record for goals after being subbed on now stands at 28.

    But Leroy Sane, who replaced Gnabry in the first half, set up Thomas Muller - who registered his 125th top-flight assist on Lewandowski's opener - for the winner.

    Sane was also on target against Kiel and Flick has been pleased to see him improving after a tough start to life with Bayern following his move from Manchester City.

    "I don't like singling out individual players but he did very well and did things the team would like to see from him," said Flick.

    "We saw good development. He proved today that he is always good for an assist or a goal."

    With RB Leipzig having been held to a 2-2 draw by Wolfsburg on Saturday, reigning Bundesliga champions Bayern opened up a four-point lead at the summit.

    Flick said: "I'm not interested in the table at the moment. We have to look at ourselves and be focused on Augsburg and Schalke as we are today.

    "It's good to have achieved a four-point lead, that is extremely important. For us, only our results count."

  • Lewandowski takes Muller's Bundesliga record Lewandowski takes Muller's Bundesliga record

    Robert Lewandowski became the first player to hit 21 goals in the first half of a Bundesliga campaign with his opener for Bayern Munich against Freiburg.

    Gerd Muller previously held the record of 20 goals, with the Bayern great having achieved the feat in 1968-69.

    Lewandowski matched that haul on January 8, scoring in a 3-2 defeat to Borussia Monchengladbach.

    On Sunday, in Bayern's 16th league game of the 34-match campaign, the 32-year-old overtook Muller by slotting home at the culmination of a superb Bayern move in the seventh minute.

    It also brought up Lewandowski's fifth goal in his last four games against Freiburg.

    Prolific in attack, it is at the other end where Hansi Flick's Bayern side have struggled this season.

    Heading into Sunday's game at the Allianz Arena, the Bavarian side had 33 points – they last had as many points after 15 matches in 2017-18 - yet their 24 goals conceded after 15 fixtures was more than in any season since 1981-82 (25).

    Lewandowksi scored 34 times in the league last season, six shy of Muller's Bundesliga record of 40 (1971-72), but the Poland star now looks well on course to challenge that tally.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.