EPL

Maguire pleased with Man Utd's defensive improvements since Tottenham shock

By Sports Desk October 29, 2020

Harry Maguire is pleased with the defensive improvements made by Manchester United on the back of their 6-1 home defeat to Tottenham this month.

United suffered their joint-heaviest defeat in the Premier League as they lost by a five-goal margin for the fourth time, and the first since October 2011 against Manchester City.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's men are unbeaten in four matches since then, though, keeping back-to-back clean sheets against Chelsea and RB Leipzig after winning away at Newcastle United and Paris Saint-Germain.

Maguire, who has played every minute in the Premier League this season, admits his side were at "crisis" point after conceding 12 goals in their first three matches.

"After Tottenham, we were all devastated," he told the club's official website. "We were three games into the season but it felt like we were in a big crisis.

"It was quite a strange feeling, but we don't expect to lose games at Old Trafford - and we definitely don't expect to lose games like we did.

"The first three games we were conceding far too many chances, so as a defensive unit, having kept the most clean sheets in Europe last year, we knew we had to improve, we had to be more solid."

United faced 54 shots in their opening three top-flight matches - 18 of those on target - which is more than any other side over the same period, West Brom being the next worst with 52.

However, Solskjaer's men have faced 13 shots in their past two outings - a tally bettered only by Brighton and Hove Albion (10) - which captain Maguire puts down to hard work behind the scenes.

"I think since the international break we have gone back to not conceding chances, as was the case last year," he said. "We were a solid unit then and we played from a solid base.

"It has been really important - as a defender especially - to make sure that we give the front lads every opportunity to go and win the game.

"They score one, two, three goals, it should end up in a win and we're doing that at the moment.

"It's a start. It's still early on this season. It is going to be a long journey but we've got to improve. We know that and we are doing so at the minute, but there's a long way to go."

Related items

  • 'Tired' Ronaldo rested for Juventus' trip to Benevento 'Tired' Ronaldo rested for Juventus' trip to Benevento

    Juventus coach Andrea Pirlo confirmed Cristiano Ronaldo was being rested for Saturday's trip to Benevento.

    Ronaldo, 35, has made a good start to the season, scoring nine goals in seven games in all competitions.

    However, the star forward will miss the trip to Benevento due to fatigue.

    "Cristiano Ronaldo will take an agreed rest session because he was a bit tired after so many games," Pirlo told Juventus TV.

    "It was planned that he would not come to Benevento."

    Since the start of November, Ronaldo has played eight games for Juve and Portugal.

    Only Milan star Zlatan Ibrahimovic (10) has scored more Serie A goals than Ronaldo's eight this season.

    Ronaldo has converted 75 per cent of his big chances, compared to Ibrahimovic's 60, while he has created six chances.

    Juventus are fourth in the Serie A table, four points adrift of Milan, ahead of their trip to Benevento.

  • Guardiola sees more Man City opportunities ahead for 'special guy' Stones Guardiola sees more Man City opportunities ahead for 'special guy' Stones

    Pep Guardiola praised "special guy" John Stones and said the defender was set for further opportunities with Manchester City.

    Stones started alongside Ruben Dias in the centre of defence as City booked their place in the Champions League last 16 with a 1-0 win over Olympiacos on Wednesday.

    The 26-year-old won all five of his duels and his three clearances were a team-high.

    While the defender has made four appearances in European competition, he has been limited to just one in the Premier League – against Wolves in September.

    But Guardiola expects Stones to get more chances for City after finding some form.

    "At the end I judge the players on what they do right now, in the present. John played with Ruben, they played well," the City manager told reporters.

    "I'm happy, especially, especially, especially, happy with John because he's a special guy for me. We arrived together here, we spend all the time together.

    "He was injured, had personal issues and now he's settled again, with his confidence and performance like last time he will have chances to show his quality in this team."

    Dias, meanwhile, has settled quickly at City after arriving from Benfica in September, making nine starts in all competitions.

    As City prepare to host Burnley on Saturday, Guardiola praised the defender's form.

    "Ruben is playing every week and every game because he doesn't make mistakes. He leads the line and does absolutely everything almost perfectly. That's why he plays," he said.

    "It doesn't depend on what he has done in the past and who you are in the past. We have to win in our position every three days. As a manager, when a guy plays good you have more chance [to play] of course.

    "There will be some players who are playing well but I will rotate the team so they don't get injured, they will be rotated. But with other issues when they are playing well they have more chance to continue on the pitch."

  • Pique wants Messi at Barcelona for years to come Pique wants Messi at Barcelona for years to come

    Gerard Pique hopes Barcelona can convince Lionel Messi to stay at the club for years to come.

    Messi, 33, sensationally requested to leave the LaLiga giants during the close season, but ended up staying at the club.

    However, the six-time Ballon d'Or winner is linked with the likes of Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain and Inter with his contract expiring at the end of the season.

    But Pique hopes Messi will remain at Barca, where he has spent his entire professional career.

    "We will have to ask Leo. It is his personal decision … and we will see what happens," the defender told Radio Marca on Friday.

    "I believe that as long as he continues to wear the Barca shirt there is always hope.

    "We hope they can seduce him so that he stays more years."

    Messi has struggled to live up to his usual form so far this season, scoring six goals in 11 games – including three in eight in LaLiga.

    He is without an assist in LaLiga, while he has created just 2.1 chances per 90 minutes – his lowest since 2012-13 (1.6). His 0.4 big chances created per 90 minutes is also the lowest since that campaign.

    It comes with Barcelona struggling in 13th in the table and awaiting a presidential election next year.

    Pique, who suffered a knee injury earlier this month, said he had previously thought about one day becoming the club's president.

    "If I see that I can contribute things that can help the club then I will decide," he said.

    "It is an illusion that I have always had, but I don't know if it will come true."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.