EPL

Arsenal boss Arteta questions Lacazette's disallowed goal in Leicester defeat

By Sports Desk October 25, 2020

Mikel Arteta questioned the decision to rule out Alexandre Lacazette's early goal in Arsenal's 1-0 loss to Leicester City at Emirates Stadium.

Lacazette steered home a header inside four minutes in Sunday's Premier League clash, but it was ruled out because Arsenal team-mates Granit Xhaka and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang were stood in offside positions.

France forward Lacazette missed a big chance later in the first half and Arsenal's profligacy came back to haunt them when Leicester substitute Jamie Vardy scored a winner 10 minutes from time.

But while Arteta was unhappy with the decision to chalk off Lacazette's goal, the Gunners manager accepted more is required from Arsenal after back-to-back Premier League losses.

"The game went the way it went. I felt we had total control in the first half and restricted them to nothing," Arteta told BBC Sport.

"We were winning every ball, created a few chances and scored a goal - I don't know how it got disallowed. 

"They defended deeper in the second half, waiting for the mistake and in one moment they did it."

Elaborating on the disallowed goal at his post-match news conference, Arteta added: "Granit is behind [Kasper] Schmeichel so it's nothing to do with him. 

"They made the decision and we can't change it now."

Leicester failed to muster a single shot on target before Vardy, introduced after an hour, converted fellow substitute Cengiz Under's cross for his 11th league goal against Arsenal.

Arteta bemoaned the Gunners' lack of cutting edge in front of goal before Vardy's match-winning impact, with his side managing 12 shots in total.

"Against this block, against so well organised teams, when you open them up you have to put the ball in the back of the net," he said.

"They were similar against Manchester City, they scored with two set pieces and credit to them for what they have done but our players responded and I feel sorry for them.

"We have so many alternatives in the team and can have fluidity. It worked in some moments and there are options we can manage."

The defeat for Arsenal is their first at home in the league this calendar year and their first against Leicester in any competition in 28 games since 1973.

Visiting boss Brendan Rodgers, whose side had previously lost back-to-back top-flight matches without scoring, hailed Vardy – still not fully fit after recently sustaining a calf injury - for his huge impact from the bench.

"Every game he looks like scoring," Rodgers told reporters. "He's disappointed he didn't have another. 

"He's a world-class striker and he's a guy who stretches the game, gets in behind. He's an incredible talent and we would've loved to have started him.

"For us to be the first team to win here this calendar year show the work Arteta has done here. 

"It was a great win, a great night, and it's just a shame the supporters couldn't be here to celebrate. It is four wins from six now and the team is moving along very well."

Related items

  • 'Tired' Ronaldo rested for Juventus' trip to Benevento 'Tired' Ronaldo rested for Juventus' trip to Benevento

    Juventus coach Andrea Pirlo confirmed Cristiano Ronaldo was being rested for Saturday's trip to Benevento.

    Ronaldo, 35, has made a good start to the season, scoring nine goals in seven games in all competitions.

    However, the star forward will miss the trip to Benevento due to fatigue.

    "Cristiano Ronaldo will take an agreed rest session because he was a bit tired after so many games," Pirlo told Juventus TV.

    "It was planned that he would not come to Benevento."

    Since the start of November, Ronaldo has played eight games for Juve and Portugal.

    Only Milan star Zlatan Ibrahimovic (10) has scored more Serie A goals than Ronaldo's eight this season.

    Ronaldo has converted 75 per cent of his big chances, compared to Ibrahimovic's 60, while he has created six chances.

    Juventus are fourth in the Serie A table, four points adrift of Milan, ahead of their trip to Benevento.

  • Guardiola sees more Man City opportunities ahead for 'special guy' Stones Guardiola sees more Man City opportunities ahead for 'special guy' Stones

    Pep Guardiola praised "special guy" John Stones and said the defender was set for further opportunities with Manchester City.

    Stones started alongside Ruben Dias in the centre of defence as City booked their place in the Champions League last 16 with a 1-0 win over Olympiacos on Wednesday.

    The 26-year-old won all five of his duels and his three clearances were a team-high.

    While the defender has made four appearances in European competition, he has been limited to just one in the Premier League – against Wolves in September.

    But Guardiola expects Stones to get more chances for City after finding some form.

    "At the end I judge the players on what they do right now, in the present. John played with Ruben, they played well," the City manager told reporters.

    "I'm happy, especially, especially, especially, happy with John because he's a special guy for me. We arrived together here, we spend all the time together.

    "He was injured, had personal issues and now he's settled again, with his confidence and performance like last time he will have chances to show his quality in this team."

    Dias, meanwhile, has settled quickly at City after arriving from Benfica in September, making nine starts in all competitions.

    As City prepare to host Burnley on Saturday, Guardiola praised the defender's form.

    "Ruben is playing every week and every game because he doesn't make mistakes. He leads the line and does absolutely everything almost perfectly. That's why he plays," he said.

    "It doesn't depend on what he has done in the past and who you are in the past. We have to win in our position every three days. As a manager, when a guy plays good you have more chance [to play] of course.

    "There will be some players who are playing well but I will rotate the team so they don't get injured, they will be rotated. But with other issues when they are playing well they have more chance to continue on the pitch."

  • Pique wants Messi at Barcelona for years to come Pique wants Messi at Barcelona for years to come

    Gerard Pique hopes Barcelona can convince Lionel Messi to stay at the club for years to come.

    Messi, 33, sensationally requested to leave the LaLiga giants during the close season, but ended up staying at the club.

    However, the six-time Ballon d'Or winner is linked with the likes of Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain and Inter with his contract expiring at the end of the season.

    But Pique hopes Messi will remain at Barca, where he has spent his entire professional career.

    "We will have to ask Leo. It is his personal decision … and we will see what happens," the defender told Radio Marca on Friday.

    "I believe that as long as he continues to wear the Barca shirt there is always hope.

    "We hope they can seduce him so that he stays more years."

    Messi has struggled to live up to his usual form so far this season, scoring six goals in 11 games – including three in eight in LaLiga.

    He is without an assist in LaLiga, while he has created just 2.1 chances per 90 minutes – his lowest since 2012-13 (1.6). His 0.4 big chances created per 90 minutes is also the lowest since that campaign.

    It comes with Barcelona struggling in 13th in the table and awaiting a presidential election next year.

    Pique, who suffered a knee injury earlier this month, said he had previously thought about one day becoming the club's president.

    "If I see that I can contribute things that can help the club then I will decide," he said.

    "It is an illusion that I have always had, but I don't know if it will come true."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.