EPL

Conte: Inter must follow example of 'war machine' Liverpool

By Sports Desk October 23, 2020

Antonio Conte is confident he will be given time at Inter and highlighted the work of Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp as an example of what can be achieved with the right backing.

Inter have gone three games without a win heading into Saturday's league trip to Genoa, including a chastening 2-1 loss against bitter rivals Milan last weekend.

The Nerazzurri finished a point behind Serie A champions Juventus in Conte's first full season and lost to 3-2 to Sevilla in the Europa League final.

But Conte is happy with the progress made by his side and hopes to take inspiration from "war machine" Liverpool, who were rewarded for constant improvement under Klopp with the Champions League title in 2019 and Premier League crown in 2020.

"We must always give 110 per cent to try to get a good result, in addition to the performance," Conte said at Friday's pre-match news conference.

"We need to work hard. As an example I take Klopp's Liverpool. It was four years without winning - now they are a war machine.

"We are building something important. I don't know if it will lead to winning something in the short term, but I know for sure that it is a right path.

"Even from the outside, seeing Inter, you get the idea of ​​a solid structure unlike in other years. This gives me happiness."

Inter have conceded eight goals at this stage of a Serie A campaign for the first time since 2011-12 and let in two more in Wednesday's 2-2 Champions League draw with Borussia Monchengladbach.

Conte accepts Inter have to shore up at the back but reiterated he is content with the overall performances of his players, arguing his side have yet to be second best in a game.

"If we look at what we are trying to do, how we are trying to involve the whole squad, then it's inevitable that the characteristics of some performers change from last year," he said.

"We scored many goals and could have scored more. We conceded avoidable goals and often due to individual situations that we can improve.

"We will continue to work, to play games. Up to now, there hasn't been a single team that has been superior to us."

Inter's trip to Genoa is their third match in eight days and they have a trip to Shakhtar Donetsk to come on Tuesday, before the visit of Parma four days later.

"It is important we manage the situation and preserve the players as best we can, while playing in the best possible way," Conte said.

"The two things have to be combined. Some players are always playing so we need to protect them from a physical and phycological point of view."

Inter have won their last four Serie A meetings against Genoa by an overall score of 16-0, and only once in their Serie A history have they won five in a row without conceding against a single opponent - versus Atalanta from 1951 to 1953.

Related items

  • Myles Garrett still on COVID list, will miss Browns-Jaguars Myles Garrett still on COVID list, will miss Browns-Jaguars

    Myles Garrett will not return for the Cleveland Browns this week as he remains on the reserve/COVID-19 list, coach Kevin Stefanski has confirmed.

    Star defensive end Garrett was placed on the list last week and missed the Browns' 22-17 win over the Philadelphia Eagles.

    Cleveland improved to 7-3 in second place in the AFC North but will again have to cope without Garrett against the struggling Jacksonville Jaguars.

    "We're ruling him out because that's what the protocol calls for," Stefanski said of the first overall 2017 draft pick.

    Garrett holds the joint-lead for sacks in the NFL this year, his tally of 9.5 matched by the New Orleans Saints' Trey Hendrickson on Sunday.

    The one-time Pro Bowler has also forced four fumbles in 2020, tied with the Baltimore Ravens' Marlon Humphrey for what is already a career-best in that regard.

    Garrett missed the opportunity to improve his numbers against the Eagles, whose struggling quarterback Carson Wentz has now taken 40 sacks and 10 fumbles - both dismal league highs.

  • Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus

    Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier has tested positive for coronavirus, the German club have announced.

    The 18-year-old, who joined Dortmund on a two-year loan deal from Real Madrid in August, underwent PCR tests for COVID-19 upon his return from international duty with Brazil Under-23s last week.

    Reinier was not part of Dortmund's squad for their Bundesliga win over Hertha Berlin at the weekend and no other BVB players have tested positive.

    Dortmund confirmed the news on Monday, a day before their Champions League match with Club Brugge, and added that the teenager is asymptomatic and is now self-isolating.

    He has been used seven times by Lucien Favre, each of those appearances coming from the bench.

    Reinier, who won the Campeonato Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores with Flamengo in 2019, has yet to score, assist or create a chance in his three Bundesliga outings and has managed just one shot.

    Tuesday's meeting with Brugge is the first of three home games in a row for Dortmund, with Koln and Lazio to come in the next nine days.

  • Neymar and Mbappe need to step up against Leipzig - Tuchel Neymar and Mbappe need to step up against Leipzig - Tuchel

    Thomas Tuchel says Paris Saint-Germain need Neymar and Kylian Mbappe to be on top of their game if they are to beat RB Leipzig in Tuesday's huge Champions League clash.

    Last season's finalists trail Group H pacesetters Manchester United and Leipzig by three points at the midway stage after losing to both teams in their opening three matches, either side of beating Istanbul Basaksehir.

    PSG will be facing the prospect of making an early exit from the competition if they lose at home to the Bundesliga club and under-fire head coach Tuchel is willing to risk the fitness of Neymar for a match he has described as a "final".

    Neymar missed three PSG games with a groin injury and was released from Brazil duty before being given 30 minutes from the bench in Friday's 3-2 loss to Monaco - a result that increased the pressure on Tuchel.

    The forward, who has two goals in seven appearances this term, will start against Leipzig at the Parc des Princes in a repeat of last season's semi-final.

    "We need him. He needs to be on the pitch for us," Tuchel said at a news conference on Monday. "He has the quality and the experience.

    "He is not in the best shape physically but he will start tomorrow. He can manage that both physically and mentally, though I hope we don't depend on him."

    Mbappe scored PSG's two goals in their defeat to Monaco but is without a Champions League goal in 2020, failing to score in 529 minutes across seven appearances in the competition since netting against Galatasaray last December.

    "If Neymar or Kylian don't score, of course it has an impact for us," Tuchel said. "I hope they score tomorrow. We need Kylian's goals. He is doing everything possible to be decisive.

    "He played with the France team. Against Monaco, he scored two goals. Now is the time for him, as well as for Ney, to be decisive again."

    Tuchel started with Neymar, Mbappe, Angel Di Maria and Moise Kean for the win over Basaksehir and has hinted he may go with a similar attack-minded system against Leipzig.

    "It is of course a possibility," he said. "We want to win - it's a final in the group. I absolutely want us to have more courage to score than fear to have problems defensively. 

    "It will take courage to score, so it's a possibility. We must find two players in the middle capable of making the effort if we play with a 4-4-2. 

    "But it is also possible that we play in 4-3-3. We used it in Leipzig as well as in the knockout stages last season. There are two possibilities, we will wait to see who is available."

    However, Tuchel will have to make do without Mauro Icardi, Julian Draxler, Idrissa Gueye, Juan Bernat and Thilo Kehrer, while Ander Herrera and Marco Verratti will be assessed later on Monday.

    PSG have lost four of their last six games against German opponents in the Champions League, including each of the last two - 1-0 v Bayern Munich and 2-1 v Leipzig.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.