EPL

This is not politics, this is humanity – Rashford calls on UK government to help combat child food poverty

By Sports Desk October 21, 2020

Marcus Rashford has urged the British government to work alongside organisations combatting child food poverty in the United Kingdom, after a petition to provide free school meals during school holidays was voted down.

In June, the Manchester United and England star successfully lobbied the government to extend its policy of providing free school meals for underprivileged children outside term time, with the financial impact of COVID-19 also a major concern.

With areas of the United Kingdom going into localised lockdowns, Rashford – who was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours – last week launched an online petition calling on the UK government to carry on providing free school meals through to Easter 2021.

However, the motion was voted down in parliament on Wednesday.

Following the news, Rashford vowed to continue to lead the campaign, while also calling on the government to reconsider their position.

"Put aside all the noise, the digs, the party politics and let's focus on the reality. A significant number of children are going to bed tonight not only hungry but feeling like they do not matter because of comments that have been made today," the 22-year-old wrote in a post on his official Twitter account.

"We must stop stigmatising, judging and pointing fingers. Our views are being clouded by political affiliation. This is not politics, this is humanity.

"We talk about the devastating impact of COVID-19 but, if projections are anything to go by, child food poverty has the potential to become the greatest pandemic the country has ever faced.

"We must start working together and unite to protect our most vulnerable children. No more sticking plasters.

"Following private and public approaches, I once again invite Number 10 to sit around the table with the Taskforce so that, together, we can collaborate on how best to combat child food poverty in the UK.

"These children are the future of this country. They are not just another statistic. And for as long as they don't have a voice, they will have mine."

Related items

  • Pique wants Messi at Barcelona for years to come Pique wants Messi at Barcelona for years to come

    Gerard Pique hopes Barcelona can convince Lionel Messi to stay at the club for years to come.

    Messi, 33, sensationally requested to leave the LaLiga giants during the close season, but ended up staying at the club.

    However, the six-time Ballon d'Or winner is linked with the likes of Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain and Inter with his contract expiring at the end of the season.

    But Pique hopes Messi will remain at Barca, where he has spent his entire professional career.

    "We will have to ask Leo. It is his personal decision … and we will see what happens," the defender told Radio Marca on Friday.

    "I believe that as long as he continues to wear the Barca shirt there is always hope.

    "We hope they can seduce him so that he stays more years."

    Messi has struggled to live up to his usual form so far this season, scoring six goals in 11 games – including three in eight in LaLiga.

    He is without an assist in LaLiga, while he has created just 2.1 chances per 90 minutes – his lowest since 2012-13 (1.6). His 0.4 big chances created per 90 minutes is also the lowest since that campaign.

    It comes with Barcelona struggling in 13th in the table and awaiting a presidential election next year.

    Pique, who suffered a knee injury earlier this month, said he had previously thought about one day becoming the club's president.

    "If I see that I can contribute things that can help the club then I will decide," he said.

    "It is an illusion that I have always had, but I don't know if it will come true."

  • Klopp hopeful over Wijnaldum stay at Liverpool Klopp hopeful over Wijnaldum stay at Liverpool

    Jurgen Klopp hopes Georginio Wijnaldum extends his stay at Liverpool and the manager remains optimistic.

    Wijnaldum is out of contract with the Premier League champions at the end of the season and the midfielder has been linked with a move to Barcelona.

    Ahead of Saturday's trip to Brighton and Hove Albion, Klopp had no update on the Netherlands international – but he would like the 30-year-old to remain at Anfield.

    "I cannot really say a lot about that. I would be happy if he would stay here – that's maybe the only thing," he said.

    "But sitting here, I'm pretty happy with Gini. You see when you look at most of the line-ups."

    Wijnaldum arrived at Liverpool from Newcastle United in 2016 and has helped the club win the Premier League, Champions League, UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup.

    Since 2016-17, Wijnaldum has missed just 11 Premier League games for Liverpool. They have won five, drawn four and lost two, a win percentage of 45.5, compared to 70.7 in the 150 games he has played.

    They have also averaged more goals for (2.2 to 1.8), fewer goals against (0.9 to 1.3), more points per game (2.3 to 1.7) with Wijnaldum during that time.

    Asked if Wijnaldum was in his best form since joining Liverpool, Klopp praised the midfielder's consistency.

    "That might be only because your memories are not that good. He played always good. That's why he played that amount of games," he said.

    "I cannot remember a lot of bad games, to be honest. He played for us in plenty of positions, different positions. He's in a good moment, thank God. Long may it continue. That's it.

    "It's good and there's nothing else to say about it, to be honest. As long as nothing is decided, everything is possible and I'm positive."

    Liverpool are second in the Premier League table ahead of their trip to Brighton.

  • Flick wants more from Sane at Bayern Flick wants more from Sane at Bayern

    Bayern Munich coach Hansi Flick wants to see more from Leroy Sane, but said the attacker needed time.

    Since joining Bayern from Manchester City for a reported €45million earlier this year, Sane has scored five goals and provided two assists in nine games.

    The attacker missed almost the entire 2019-20 season with City after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).

    While Flick is eager for Sane to improve, he is also prepared to be patient with the 24-year-old following his injury.

    "He is 100 per cent fit. His efficiency is great," he told a news conference.

    "But like other players, he unnecessarily lost the ball a couple of times against Salzburg and in some instances, he didn't quite pursue one-on-ones. There are reasons for it, and we talked about that. He will try to do better next time.

    "When he comes on the pitch, he creates a certain dynamic in the team, increases it. In the last couple of games, he has always scored after being subbed in. That's what makes him stand out and he has quality.

    "It is obvious that he still needs time after a long injury, and he will get that time. He works hard in training.

    "We are pleased with him, but it is important that when he starts a game, he gives a 100 per cent. We are working on that."

    In six Bundesliga games, three of which have been starts, this season, Sane has scored three goals and provided two assists.

    He has also created four big chances. Only Thomas Muller (six), Serge Gnabry, Admir Mehmedi and Raphael Guerreiro (all five) have created more.

    However, his big chance conversion percentage is 50 per cent, while he has completed just seven of 20 attempted dribbles.

    Top of the Bundesliga by a point, Bayern visit Stuttgart on Saturday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.