EPL

Arteta's 'conscience is calm' after leaving Ozil out of Premier League squad

By Sports Desk October 21, 2020

Mikel Arteta says his "conscience is calm" after leaving Mesut Ozil out of his Premier League squad and insists the decision was made solely for football reasons. 

The former Germany international was not included in the 25-man group for the 2020-21 season when it was submitted on Tuesday after also being left out of the Gunners' Europa League squad earlier in October. 

Ozil, who has not played for the club since a match against West Ham on March 7, expressed his disappointment in the decision on Wednesday, posting on social media: "I pledged my loyalty and allegiance to the club that I love, Arsenal, and it saddens me that this has not been reciprocated."

Ozil's influence has waned since providing 19 assists and creating 28 big chance' in 35 Premier League outings during the 2015-16 season, dipping to nine, eight, two and two in terms of assists in the following four campaigns.

Last season, however, he created 2.36 chances for every 90 minutes he was on the pitch, comfortably more than the second-placed player on the list, Nicolas Pepe (1.79). 

That was not enough to impress Arteta, though, who says Ozil was given every chance to force his way into his thinking following his appointment as Arsenal boss in December 2019.

"Everybody is free to express his feeling," he told a media conference. "What I can say from my side is that it's just a football decision. My conscience is very calm. 

"I was hired at this football club to create and build a project. He has had the opportunities like everyone else. I have to say that I tried to look everybody in the eye and be comfortable with it. I've been very straightforward since I arrived at this club.

"My job is to get the best out of every player. I feel that at the moment I failed because I want the best possible Mesut. At the moment, I haven't been able to do that. This is the reality in football. I have learned that anything can happen.

"Honestly, I take full responsibility. I have to be the one getting the best out of the players. It's my decision. I try to be fair with him and any other players.

"I cannot discuss individual performances of every player. I feel pain when I have to leave players out, believe me. I cannot disclose the technical point of the decisions."

With the transfer window now closed, Ozil will have to wait until January to find a way out of the Emirates Stadium. 

Arteta expects the 32-year-old to continue training alongside the first team, though, and says it is his responsibility to keep him motivated over the coming months. 

"He's been training with us and he's involved with the squad routines," he added. "We expect him to train and do the best he can. I have to keep him as motivated him as possible in these difficult circumstances and move forward."

Arsenal take on Rapid Vienna in the Europa League on Thursday before hosting Leicester City in the Premier League on Sunday.

Related items

  • 'Tired' Ronaldo rested for Juventus' trip to Benevento 'Tired' Ronaldo rested for Juventus' trip to Benevento

    Juventus coach Andrea Pirlo confirmed Cristiano Ronaldo was being rested for Saturday's trip to Benevento.

    Ronaldo, 35, has made a good start to the season, scoring nine goals in seven games in all competitions.

    However, the star forward will miss the trip to Benevento due to fatigue.

    "Cristiano Ronaldo will take an agreed rest session because he was a bit tired after so many games," Pirlo told Juventus TV.

    "It was planned that he would not come to Benevento."

    Since the start of November, Ronaldo has played eight games for Juve and Portugal.

    Only Milan star Zlatan Ibrahimovic (10) has scored more Serie A goals than Ronaldo's eight this season.

    Ronaldo has converted 75 per cent of his big chances, compared to Ibrahimovic's 60, while he has created six chances.

    Juventus are fourth in the Serie A table, four points adrift of Milan, ahead of their trip to Benevento.

  • Guardiola sees more Man City opportunities ahead for 'special guy' Stones Guardiola sees more Man City opportunities ahead for 'special guy' Stones

    Pep Guardiola praised "special guy" John Stones and said the defender was set for further opportunities with Manchester City.

    Stones started alongside Ruben Dias in the centre of defence as City booked their place in the Champions League last 16 with a 1-0 win over Olympiacos on Wednesday.

    The 26-year-old won all five of his duels and his three clearances were a team-high.

    While the defender has made four appearances in European competition, he has been limited to just one in the Premier League – against Wolves in September.

    But Guardiola expects Stones to get more chances for City after finding some form.

    "At the end I judge the players on what they do right now, in the present. John played with Ruben, they played well," the City manager told reporters.

    "I'm happy, especially, especially, especially, happy with John because he's a special guy for me. We arrived together here, we spend all the time together.

    "He was injured, had personal issues and now he's settled again, with his confidence and performance like last time he will have chances to show his quality in this team."

    Dias, meanwhile, has settled quickly at City after arriving from Benfica in September, making nine starts in all competitions.

    As City prepare to host Burnley on Saturday, Guardiola praised the defender's form.

    "Ruben is playing every week and every game because he doesn't make mistakes. He leads the line and does absolutely everything almost perfectly. That's why he plays," he said.

    "It doesn't depend on what he has done in the past and who you are in the past. We have to win in our position every three days. As a manager, when a guy plays good you have more chance [to play] of course.

    "There will be some players who are playing well but I will rotate the team so they don't get injured, they will be rotated. But with other issues when they are playing well they have more chance to continue on the pitch."

  • Pique wants Messi at Barcelona for years to come Pique wants Messi at Barcelona for years to come

    Gerard Pique hopes Barcelona can convince Lionel Messi to stay at the club for years to come.

    Messi, 33, sensationally requested to leave the LaLiga giants during the close season, but ended up staying at the club.

    However, the six-time Ballon d'Or winner is linked with the likes of Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain and Inter with his contract expiring at the end of the season.

    But Pique hopes Messi will remain at Barca, where he has spent his entire professional career.

    "We will have to ask Leo. It is his personal decision … and we will see what happens," the defender told Radio Marca on Friday.

    "I believe that as long as he continues to wear the Barca shirt there is always hope.

    "We hope they can seduce him so that he stays more years."

    Messi has struggled to live up to his usual form so far this season, scoring six goals in 11 games – including three in eight in LaLiga.

    He is without an assist in LaLiga, while he has created just 2.1 chances per 90 minutes – his lowest since 2012-13 (1.6). His 0.4 big chances created per 90 minutes is also the lowest since that campaign.

    It comes with Barcelona struggling in 13th in the table and awaiting a presidential election next year.

    Pique, who suffered a knee injury earlier this month, said he had previously thought about one day becoming the club's president.

    "If I see that I can contribute things that can help the club then I will decide," he said.

    "It is an illusion that I have always had, but I don't know if it will come true."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.