EPL

Bruno Fernandes: We didn't know Wan-Bissaka could shoot!

By Sports Desk October 18, 2020

Bruno Fernandes says Manchester United players were shocked to see Aaron Wan-Bissaka scoring against Newcastle United, claiming: "We didn't know he could shoot!"

The full-back marked his 50th appearance for the Red Devils with his first goal for the club in Saturday's 4-1 victory at St James' Park.

Fernandes had earlier put the visitors ahead, having missed his first of 11 penalties for the Red Devils, after Harry Maguire had cancelled out an early Luke Shaw own goal.

Wan-Bissaka made it 3-1 with an emphatic strike following a one-two with Marcus Rashford, who added a late fourth.

It was the 22-year-old's first goal in England's top flight in his 80th appearance in the competition. In that time, he has attempted 18 shots and found the target just three times.

Fernandes says the players were teasing Wan-Bissaka in the dressing room, suggesting his goal was actually a bad cross.

"We didn't know he could shoot!" he said to MUTV. "It's difficult to believe that he can score because we never see him shoot.

"We were joking to him in the dressing room, saying that we all thought he wanted to cross and he had a bad one and scored.

"I'm happy for him; he deserved to be involved in these situations.  We want him to be more positive, more in the box, because he has such great qualities.

"Everyone knows him as a defensive player but he can show more as an offensive player. I think he has the quality to do that."

Wan-Bissaka, the 116th different United player to score in the Premier League, admitted he had no thoughts of finesse when he bore down on goalkeeper Karl Darlow, who saved eight of the 28 shots attempted by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side.

"It's a good feeling, quite an inspiring one. It was a good team performance as well," said the former Crystal Palace man.

"I just wanted to smash it. The keeper had been saving a few shots during the game, so I thought, 'This time, let me just roof it'."

Related items

  • Wilson lauds Metcalf's 'remarkable' chase down of Baker Wilson lauds Metcalf's 'remarkable' chase down of Baker

    Russell Wilson described DK Metcalf's chase down of Budda Baker as "one of the most remarkable plays" he has ever seen after the Seattle Seahawks' loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

    The Seahawks' unbeaten start to the NFL season came to an end with an 37-34 overtime loss to the Cardinals on Sunday.

    Metcalf produced an incredible play during the second quarter, showing incredible speed to chase down Baker on his 90-yard interception return.

    Wilson said the play by the Seahawks wide receiver was one of the best he had witnessed.

    "It was one of the most remarkable plays I've ever seen," the Seattle quarterback told reporters.

    "The play, the effort by DK, you know, I kind of got blocked by the lineman there and I was trying to get away and I tried to make the effort but DK had the angle, he just kept going man, it was just an unbelievable play by him, just the effort.

    "I really respect him for that and if that's what it takes just as a winning effort, like I've told you guys he's one of the best players in the league, he's one of the most special guys I know.

    "He's one of my best friends and I really respect him, not just because of his effort on that particular play, but that's who he is, that's who he is every day and he's consistent in that way and that's what I love him for."

    Wilson completed 33 of 50 passes for 388 yards with three touchdowns and three interceptions, to go with 84 rushing yards, as the Seahawks (5-1) suffered their first loss of the season.

    The MVP candidate became the first player in NFL history to have at least 380 passing yards and 80 rushing yards in a game.

    "I thought we played a great game except for those three plays honestly and those were my fault," Wilson said. "There's so much that we can do and we have so much confidence, our confidence is not going to waver, they're a great football team too.

    "We knew it was going to be a battle, it always is down here and whenever we play, so nothing really changes except for the fact that we just have to tighten up some things. I have to be better, which I'm looking forward to.

    "I'm looking forward to playing the next game, I wish we could play tomorrow and that's just our mentality and we'll be back stronger, we'll be better and I thought we laid it all on the line."

  • Rumour Has It: Man City eyeing Nagelsmann amid Guardiola doubts, Ramos-Madrid deadlocked Rumour Has It: Man City eyeing Nagelsmann amid Guardiola doubts, Ramos-Madrid deadlocked

    It remains to be seen whether Pep Guardiola will re-sign with Manchester City.

    Guardiola's contract expires at the end of the season in Manchester.

    Should the Spaniard decide to move on, there are already two men on the list to replace him.

     

    TOP STORY – CITY INTERESTED IN NAGELSMANN

    Manchester City are eyeing RB Leipzig head coach Julian Nagelsmann as a possible replacement for Pep Guardiola, according to the Daily Mail.

    Guardiola is out of contract at the end of the 2020-21 campaign and the City manager – who has been previously linked to Juventus – is no closer to re-signing.

    Should Guardiola decide to leave after arriving in 2016, Nagelsmann and former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino are early candidates.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Sergio Ramos and LaLiga champions Real Madrid remain deadlocked over contract talks, claims the front page of Monday's Diario AS. The 34-year-old is set to become a free agent at the end of the season and he wants a two-year deal, though Madrid are only committed to 12 months.

    - Tuttosport reports Juve and Barcelona are both pursuing Ajax sensation Ryan Gravenberch. The 18-year-old midfielder emerged from Ajax's youth system in 2018.

    Barcelona will block a January loan offer from Ligue 1 holders Paris Saint-Germain for Riqui Puig, according to Mundo Deportivo.

    Kylian Mbappe extending his PSG contract has not been ruled out, claims L'Equipe. Tipped to eventually join Madrid, while the likes of Liverpool, Barca and Manchester United have also been linked, Mbappe could stay in Paris should certain conditions be met. The Frenchman is keen to see what unfolds in the next transfer windows.

  • Dodgers close to within a win of first World Series title since 1988 Dodgers close to within a win of first World Series title since 1988

    The Los Angeles Dodgers are a win away from a first World Series title since 1988 after a 4-2 victory over the Tampa Bay Rays.

    Clayton Kershaw delivered a fine start as the Dodgers moved into a 3-2 series lead on Sunday, a day after an incredible walk-off loss at Globe Life Field.

    The Dodgers star pitched 5.2 innings, striking out six and giving up five hits and two runs.

    Kershaw also surpassed Justin Verlander for the most strikeouts in the postseason in MLB history.

    The Dodgers made another fast start in Game 5 as Corey Seager and Cody Bellinger hit RBI singles in the first inning.

    The in-form Seager was the first Dodgers player all-time to record a hit in five straight at-bats in a World Series, as per Stats Perform.

    Joc Pederson's home run stretched the lead before the Rays responded in the third inning through Yandy Diaz and Randy Arozarena.

    Arozarena became the first rookie with an RBI in three straight World Series games since Gil McDougald managed it for the New York Yankees in 1951.

    He also set a record for the most hits in a single postseason with 27.

    The Rays went close to levelling the game in the fourth inning, but Manuel Margot was sensationally caught trying to steal home.

    Max Muncy's solo shot in the fifth proved to be the last of the scoring as the Dodgers, unlike Saturday, closed out a win.

    Rays pitcher Tyler Glasnow got through five innings, striking out seven but giving up six hits and four runs.

    The Dodgers can seal the series with a win in Game 6 on Tuesday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.