EPL

Maybe we'd have scored 200 goals! Wenger regrets not pairing Cristiano Ronaldo with Thierry Henry at Arsenal

By Sports Desk October 13, 2020

Arsene Wenger regrets missing out on the chance to pair Cristiano Ronaldo with Thierry Henry at Arsenal and jokingly suggested his Gunners side may have scored 200 goals if he had.

Legendary ex-Arsenal boss Wenger has spoken on several occasions of how close he came to bringing Ronaldo to north London and this week claimed the Portugal great "had the shirt" after a deal was struck with Sporting CP.

Of course, a teenage Ronaldo instead joined Manchester United and became a global name, winning eight major trophies including the Premier League three times and the Champions League.

A move to Real Madrid in 2009 saw Ronaldo scaling even greater heights, becoming Los Blancos' record goalscorer and winning another four Champions League medals before joining in Juventus in 2018.

Ronaldo is also a five-time Ballon d'Or winner, a number surpassed only by his long-time rival Lionel Messi at Barcelona, and Wenger cannot help but imagine what life had been like if Ronaldo had played with the likes of Henry, Robert Pires and Dennis Bergkamp under his stewardship.

"Of course I think what if, for example, Cristiano Ronaldo played with Thierry Henry, Pires, [Sylvain] Wiltord and Dennis. Maybe we score 200 goals in a season!" He told BBC Sport.

"You regret sometimes, you think it's your fault that you didn't decide quickly enough or sometimes financially you couldn't agree quickly enough, but overall I must say you go to Chelsea, you go to Manchester United, you go to Liverpool...every club is full of stories like this."

There is a sort of long-running joke regarding Wenger and the players he missed out on signing during his 22-years with Arsenal.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic, like Ronaldo, is another of the greats that slipped the net at Arsenal, with the Swedish star having had a trial at the club as a teenager.

But Wenger says the circumstances were markedly different to those involved in his pursuit of Ronaldo.

Asked if he wished he signed Ibrahimovic instead of inviting him for a trial, Wenger replied: "Not really, because he was a 17-year-old boy playing at Malmo in the second league in Sweden. 

"And nobody knew him. We gave trials to many players at 17 – it was absolutely normal before you make a decision."

Related items

  • Tuchel 'worried' as France goes back into lockdown due to coronavirus Tuchel 'worried' as France goes back into lockdown due to coronavirus

    Paris Saint-Germain coach Thomas Tuchel admitted he was "worried" after France went back into lockdown amid a surge in coronavirus cases.

    France headed into lockdown on Friday, when the country reported 49,215 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 545 deaths.

    Like sport around the world, Ligue 1 was suspended in March due to coronavirus, but the 2020-21 season is set to continue despite the wave of infections.

    Tuchel said he was concerned, but added he had become accustomed to being regularly tested for COVID-19.

    "We are not just professional players or coaches. We are human beings. These are big changes that influence everyone. We are worried like everyone else," he said.

    "It is our challenge and our responsibility to adapt to all the rules. We trust [French president Emmanuel] Macron and [German chancellor Angela] Merkel. That is a certainty. We have to do this together, it's our obligation.

    "We will accept all the rules and we will adapt. Here we are going through a lot of [COVID-19] tests.

    "It's almost a habit for me to have something in my nose. It has become a habit almost every morning."

    Ligue 1 leaders PSG visit Nantes on Saturday.

  • We're going to kill the players – Tuchel slams scheduling We're going to kill the players – Tuchel slams scheduling

    Paris Saint-Germain coach Thomas Tuchel hit out at the scheduling of games, warning the fixturing would "kill the players".

    The Ligue 1 giants will visit Nantes on Saturday in what will be their fifth game in 16 days.

    PSG will then face RB Leipzig and Rennes before the international break, and their players will return for 10 games between November 20 and the end of the year.

    Tuchel slammed the scheduling, with PSG having seen star Neymar suffer an adductor injury in a 2-0 Champions League win at Istanbul Basaksehir on Wednesday.

    "We're going to kill the players. That's what I've always said. We are going to kill them because there is an important link between preparation, performance and rest," he told a news conference.

    "In football it always falls on the greatest players because they will always play for their country. They play during the break, they travel and that's too much in my opinion. They don't have a recovery phase to allow them to come back and a preparation phase. This is not a secret, it happens in sport. Preparation influences injuries and performance.

    "Without preparation, players are more fragile and difficult to manage. This is not an excuse, it is the truth. We are going to look for solutions and I hope we will find some."

    Tuchel said it was not just his side dealing with injuries, highlighting setbacks at Premier League giants Liverpool and Manchester City and Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich.

    "Honestly, we came back [from Turkey on Thursday] and [Friday] is our second day after playing. It's the riskiest day in terms of injuries, which means we're doing almost nothing," he said.

    "We are working on recovery and training a little with those who haven't played at Basaksehir and [on Saturday] we are flying out to play another match, this time in Ligue 1.

    "We lose a player for every game at the moment and we are not the only ones concerned. Liverpool, Manchester City and Bayern Munich, it's the same thing."

    PSG top the Ligue 1 table after earning 18 points from their opening eight games.

  • Donnarumma cleared for return ahead of Milan's trip to Udinese Donnarumma cleared for return ahead of Milan's trip to Udinese

    Milan are set to be boosted by the return of Gianluigi Donnarumma after the goalkeeper tested negative for coronavirus.

    Donnarumma, 21, missed a Serie A draw against Roma and Thursday's Europa League victory over Sparta Prague after contracting COVID-19.

    The goalkeeper, though, could return as soon as Sunday's trip to Udinese after Milan confirmed the Italy international had tested negative.

    Milan also announced Jens Petter Hauge and Matteo Gabbia had tested negative, though the latter will undergo further screening on Sunday.

    "Gianluigi Donnarumma and Jens Petter Hauge, who had been asymptomatic, have tested negative following further testing," a Milan statement read on Friday.

    "The local health authorities have been informed and both players are authorised to return to training."

    Milan have made a fine start to the Serie A season, sitting top of the table after winning four and drawing one of their first five games.

    Donnarumma has a 90.9 save percentage in four league games in 2020-21. His best in a Serie A campaign is 76.4 in 2016-17.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.