Celta Vigo 0-3 Barcelona: Fati on target again as Messi dazzles for 10-man Blaugrana

By Sports Desk October 01, 2020

Lionel Messi tormented Celta Vigo and Ansu Fati scored his third goal in two LaLiga games as 10-man Barcelona secured a 3-0 victory in horrendous conditions at Balaidos.

Fati followed up his double in a 4-0 rout of Villarreal on Sunday by scoring the opening goal on Thursday before Barca defender Clement Lenglet was harshly sent off for a second bookable offence late in the first half.

Celta were unable to capitalise on their numerical advantage and Lucas Olaza's own goal, created by the mercurial Messi, gave Ronald Koeman's side breathing space.

Messi also had a goal disallowed for offside when he looked to be level, but the Blaugrana were not to be denied another three points in the wind and rain and Sergi Roberto added the final flourish in stoppage time.

Barca knocked the ball around with a swagger following their demolition of Villarreal and were in front after 11 minutes when Fati took a first-time pass from Philippe Coutinho and poked home with the outside of his right foot.

Lenglet was cautioned for upending Gabri Veiga, who had a shot palmed away by Neto, and Barca breathed a sigh of relief when Gerard Pique's red card for a professional foul on Denis Suarez was overturned with the midfielder offside.

Pique's fellow defender Lenglet was given his marching orders three minutes before the break, though, when Carlos del Cerro Grande harshly adjudged him to have impeded former Barca man Suarez for a second yellow.

Koeman reacted by replacing Antoine Griezmann with Ronald Araujo, but the Blaugrana doubled their lead five minutes after the break, thanks in no small part to Messi.

The captain darted away from two challenges and Olaza could only turn the Argentina forward's right-footed cross into his own net as the rain continued to hammer down.

Messi looked to have added a third but was given offside when he turned in the rebound after Coutinho struck the post and Pique was unable to convert a dangerous cross from his outstanding skipper.

Miguel Baeza saw his deflected effort strike the crossbar on a frustrating night for Celta as Barca showed great spirit and quality to make it two wins out of two in LaLiga, with Roberto putting the icing on the cake by drilling in a third right at the end.

Related items

  • Barca boss Koeman warned by Garcia over Depay pursuit: Remind me to tackle him! Barca boss Koeman warned by Garcia over Depay pursuit: Remind me to tackle him!

    Lyon boss Rudi Garcia says he "will tackle Ronald Koeman when the time is right" over the Barcelona head coach's public courting of Dutch forward Memphis Depay.

    Koeman made no secret of his desire to sign the Netherlands international during the recent transfer window but a deal failed to materialise, despite the player agreeing personal terms.

    The ex-Netherlands boss revealed earlier this month he remains hopeful of signing Depay, describing the attacker as a "great player" who can provide Barca with something different.

    However, Garcia has not taken kindly to Koeman's comments over a player who remains under contract with the Ligue 1 side until the end of the campaign.

    "Remind me to tackle Koeman when the moment is right," he said at a news conference on Friday ahead of Lyon's league trip to Lille this weekend. 

    "It's not the right moment yet, but when it is, I'll do it. We'll see what happens."

    Barca have been tipped to make a fresh approach for Depay when the transfer window reopens in January.

    He has been directly involved in eight Ligue 1 goals in eight outings this term - three more than any other player - and only team-mate Leo Dubois has created as many chances (24).

    Since making his Ligue 1 debut in January 2017, meanwhile, only Paris Saint-Germain forward Kylian Mbappe has scored and assisted more times (108) than Depay's 83 goal involvements.

    Asked if Depay will move on in a little over two months' time, Garcia said: "We'll have to wait and see how things go. 

    "He's not leaving for definite, but there will probably be clubs in for him soon."

  • Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi acquitted in Swiss corruption trial Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi acquitted in Swiss corruption trial

    Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi is glad to have "completely cleared my name" after being acquitted by a Swiss court of inciting aggravated criminal mismanagement.

    Al-Khelaifi had been charged in a case relating to beIN Media Group's allocation of television rights for the 2026 and 2030 World Cups.

    The case also involved ex-FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke, who was found guilty of forging documents relating to separate media rights and given a 120-day suspended prison sentence.

    A statement from PSG chief Al-Khelaifi, who is also part of UEFA's executive committee, read: "Today's verdict is a total vindication.

    "After a relentless four-year campaign against me that ignored the basic facts and the law at every turn, I have finally, fully and completely cleared my name.

    "It restores my faith in the rule of law and in due process, after four years of baseless allegations, fictitious charges and constant smears of my reputation - all of which have been proven to be completely and wholly unsubstantiated."

    He added: "I can now devote all my energy to my various roles, which are all focused on building a positive future for world sport - at a time when the industry needs strong leadership the most."

     

  • Simeone: I am clear about what I want from Joao Felix Simeone: I am clear about what I want from Joao Felix

    Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone is confident Joao Felix will continue to improve his all-round game as he backed the young forward to thrive in a more reserved position.

    The Portugal international scored twice in an impressive display to rescue his side a 3-2 win against Salzburg in Tuesday's Champions League clash.

    At 20 years and 352 days, he became the second-youngest player to score a brace for Atletico in the Champions League after Sergio Aguero (20 years, 106 days) against PSV in September 2008.

    He has started five games for Atleti in all competitions this term and been used just off main striker Luis Suarez in each of them, scoring three times in total.

    The ex-Benfica attacker is averaging 4.94 touches of the ball in the opposition box in LaLiga this term, which is behind only Suarez (6.49) and Yannick Carrasco (5.41) among Atletico players.

    Some have questioned whether Simeone's system can get the best out of the young talent, suggesting he needs greater freedom to thrive, but the Atleti head coach insists it is always about putting the team first.

    "I'm not going to talk about the opinions of players or others," Simeone said at a pre-match news conference ahead of Saturday's LaLiga trip to Osasuna.

    "Everyone has an opinion and I am very respectful to others. I have made it clear what we need from Joao. There is room for his game to grow.

    "He played a very good game against Granada and Huesca, against Villarreal and in the last minutes versus Celta Vigo, plus two games for Portugal.

    "We talked the other day and I have no problems responding to questions about Joao - I will continue to do so.

    "But I don't understand what it means by more freedom. Freedom is not about playing anywhere you want. Important players always give for the team, regardless of the position."

    Atleti have conceded six goals in their past three matches, four of those coming in a heavy loss away to Bayern Munich, and Simeone acknowledges his side need to tighten up.

    "I don't want to talk about individual situations in defence," he said. "But collectively, when we work hard as a team, the whole side benefits.

    "We have to improve because our strength has always been having a strong defence, but at the same time we are growing in other aspects. It is about finding the right balance."

    Atletico are seeking a fifth league win in a row against Osasuna without conceding and Simeone is happy with his side's overall start to the campaign.

    "Things have been good so far," he said. "We need to continue with the same regularity now. We face a tough opponent next, but we will take the game to them and try to hurt them."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.