Suarez handed first Atleti start after stunning cameo against Granada

By Sports Desk September 30, 2020

Luis Suarez has been handed his full debut for Atletico Madrid as Diego Simeone's side take on Huesca in their second LaLiga fixture of the campaign.

Suarez came off the bench to run riot in the final 20 minutes of Atleti's 6-1 demolition of Granada on Sunday.

The Uruguay striker – signed last week in a €6million move from Barcelona – scored twice and provided an assist to round off a fine start to the season for Atleti.

He became the first Atleti player in the 21st century to both score and assist in his first match for the club, while also becoming their first debutant ever to net a brace.

In total, Suarez managed four attempts in total, created one chance and completed 10 passes from his 16 touches, with a 70 per cent passing accuracy.

His reward for his efforts is a first start for his new club, with the 33-year-old partnering Joao Felix - another Sunday scorer - up front.

Diego Costa opened the scoring against Granada, but the Spain international has made way for Suarez, despite Simeone suggesting he may use both forwards from the off.

Suarez coming in for Costa was one of five changes made by Simeone, with Marcos Llorente, Mario Hermoso, Vitolo and Arsenal-linked Thomas Partey also starting.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd pursuing Atletico goalkeeper Oblak Rumour Has It: Man Utd pursuing Atletico goalkeeper Oblak

    Manchester United's goalkeeper situation remains unclear beyond this season.

    David de Gea has been linked with the Old Trafford exit door while Dean Henderson is yet to fully convince some observers he is a worthy number one.

    Thus speculation is mounting about a Red Devils move for a new shot-stopper.

     

    TOP STORY - UNITED CIRCLE FOR OBLAK

    Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Jan Oblak is reportedly wanted by Manchester United who are said to have a long-standing interest in the Slovenian.

    Oblak has spent almost seven years in the Spanish capital but is ready to move to England, according to 90min.

    The report claims United have doubts about Henderson as number one and subsequently are exploring their options with 28-year-old Oblak.

    ROUND-UP

    - Juventus and Paulo Dybala will enter negotiations on a new deal in May, reports Tuttosport.

    - 90min reports that Liverpool want to utilise their option to sign Ozan Kabak permanently, having acquired the defender on loan from Schalke in February.

    - Calciomercato claims that Barcelona are plotting a move for Juventus defender Cristian Romero who is currently on loan at Atalanta.

    - Galatasaray have offered Crystal Palace defender Patrick van Aanholt a three-year deal, according to Sky Sports.

    - Tottenham are top in the race to sign West Brom goalkeeper Sam Johnstone, claims ESPN.

  • Zidane hopes Messi stays with Barcelona Zidane hopes Messi stays with Barcelona

    Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane says he hopes Lionel Messi stays with Barcelona amid speculation about his playing future beyond this season.

    Messi has been linked with a move away from Barcelona, including a reunion with former mentor Pep Guardiola at Manchester City this off-season.

    The 33-year-old Argentinian has spent his entire professional career with Barcelona, whom he joined as a junior in 2000.

    "Hopefully he stays at Barcelona," Zidane said, speaking ahead of Saturday's Clasico which may be Messi's last.

    "He's good there and it's also good for the Spanish league."

    Another player who has been linked with an off-season move is Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos, who is coming off contract.

    Ramos will miss Saturday's match with Barcelona due to a muscle injury.

    "Hopefully it won't be his last Clasico," Zidane added. "He won't play tomorrow, it is a shame. But, I hope he stays here."

    Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman reiterated that sentiment, saying he hopes Ramos remains with Madrid beyond this season.

    "The best for our league is to keep the best players until their last minute of professional football, like Leo Messi," Koeman said.

    "You cannot compare with Sergio Ramos because one is a defender and the other is a striker. But both players have been very important for their clubs.

    "Hopefully, Sergio Ramos will stay at Real Madrid and Leo will stay with us."

  • Romanian star lands long-term deal with Juventus Romanian star lands long-term deal with Juventus

    Radu Dragusin resolved to show he can be a future cornerstone of the Juventus defence after signing a new long-term contract.

    The 19-year-old Romanian central defender had been linked with a host of clubs, including Borussia Dortmund and Newcastle United, but has committed to Juventus until the end of the 2024-25 season.

    Dragusin, who is 6ft 3in tall, has been compared in his style of play to Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk and has previously highlighted the Dutchman as a player he admires.

    Juventus acquired him from Romanian club Regal Sport in 2018, and this season saw Dragusin make his first-team debut in December against Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League.

    His new deal was announced on the Juventus website on Friday, with the club stating: "Dragusin's journey continues with Juve. Congratulations, Radu! See you on the pitch!"

    The teenager, who has also made Serie A and Coppa Italia appearances this season, posted on Instagram: "I couldn't wait to sign the new contract with the team that have always believed in me.

    "I want to thank first of all my family who have always been close to me and all the people who have helped me improve every day.

    "Now is the time to demonstrate and put into play the trust that the club have given me. Come on Juve."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.