Suarez has new lease of life after two-goal Atleti debut – 'I needed fresh air'

By Sports Desk September 27, 2020

Luis Suarez revealed he felt the need for "fresh air" before leaving Barcelona as he scored twice in a remarkable debut for Atletico Madrid.

Suarez came on in the 70th minute at Wanda Metropolitano with Atleti 3-0 up against Granada thanks to goals from Diego Costa, Angel Correa and Joao Felix, while Saul Niguez had missed a penalty.

A stunning cameo followed, with Suarez netting a brilliant double after providing an assist for his fellow substitute Marcos Llorente.

The 33-year-old was deemed surplus to requirements at Barcelona as the Catalan club look to rebuild under Ronald Koeman, but Suarez believes the time was right for him to move on.

"Very good, very happy for the debut, for the three points," he told Movistar. "When you make your debut and help the team with goals, you are always happy.

"It is a moment in which I needed fresh air, it is important to change and accept it.

"I come to a club that has given me a spectacular welcome, the atmosphere is very good from the beginning and that is reflected on the field."

Before Suarez stole the show, Joao Felix had put in an impressive display partnering Costa up front, having teed up Correa's goal prior to getting on the scoresheet himself.

"We're feeling good about ourselves. We've completed a great game, scoring many goals and creating lots of chances," he told Atleti's club media.

"We have to continue like this. I'm feeling good. I'm happy and enjoying myself. Things are going well.

"This was just the first game, but we want to complete a very, very good season. We're working towards that. We started today and have to continue against Huesca."

 

Related items

  • Mbappe should sign for Real Madrid – Pires Mbappe should sign for Real Madrid – Pires

    Kylian Mbappe should join Real Madrid if he wants to continue improving, according to former France international Robert Pires.

    Mbappe, 21, has been heavily linked with a move to Madrid after starring at Paris Saint-Germain, where he is contracted until 2022.

    Pires, who turned down Madrid during his playing career, said Mbappe should make the move to the LaLiga giants – and the former Arsenal and France midfielder can see it happening.

    "Of course. I'm French, I like Paris Saint-Germain and I'd like him to stay in Ligue 1," he told AS.

    "But if he wants to keep growing as a player, he should sign for Real Madrid."

    Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane has previously revealed his admiration for Mbappe, who has six goals and five assists in seven games this season.

    Mbappe provided two assists to Moise Kean in PSG's 2-0 Champions League win over Istanbul Basaksehir on Wednesday.

    Since the start of 2017-18, Mbappe has more assists (15) in the Champions League than any other player.

    Zidane has also been under pressure at Madrid, who have won just one of their past four games in all competitions ahead of hosting Huesca on Saturday.

    "I think it's incredible that people talk about a crisis and the end of an era when Real Madrid lose two games before the Clasico and then draw at the death against Borussia Monchengladbach," Pires said.

    "I know there's a lot of pressure at Madrid, but the coach and the players need to be given a calmer climate in which to do their job.

    "Just because they're Madrid or Barcelona, they can't always beat everybody. If that were the case, football would be very boring."

    Madrid are third in the LaLiga table, a point behind Real Sociedad and Cadiz, although they can go top with a win over Huesca.

  • Barca boss Koeman warned by Garcia over Depay pursuit: Remind me to tackle him! Barca boss Koeman warned by Garcia over Depay pursuit: Remind me to tackle him!

    Lyon boss Rudi Garcia says he "will tackle Ronald Koeman when the time is right" over the Barcelona head coach's public courting of Dutch forward Memphis Depay.

    Koeman made no secret of his desire to sign the Netherlands international during the recent transfer window but a deal failed to materialise, despite the player agreeing personal terms.

    The ex-Netherlands boss revealed earlier this month he remains hopeful of signing Depay, describing the attacker as a "great player" who can provide Barca with something different.

    However, Garcia has not taken kindly to Koeman's comments over a player who remains under contract with the Ligue 1 side until the end of the campaign.

    "Remind me to tackle Koeman when the moment is right," he said at a news conference on Friday ahead of Lyon's league trip to Lille this weekend. 

    "It's not the right moment yet, but when it is, I'll do it. We'll see what happens."

    Barca have been tipped to make a fresh approach for Depay when the transfer window reopens in January.

    He has been directly involved in eight Ligue 1 goals in eight outings this term - three more than any other player - and only team-mate Leo Dubois has created as many chances (24).

    Since making his Ligue 1 debut in January 2017, meanwhile, only Paris Saint-Germain forward Kylian Mbappe has scored and assisted more times (108) than Depay's 83 goal involvements.

    Asked if Depay will move on in a little over two months' time, Garcia said: "We'll have to wait and see how things go. 

    "He's not leaving for definite, but there will probably be clubs in for him soon."

  • Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi acquitted in Swiss corruption trial Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi acquitted in Swiss corruption trial

    Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi is glad to have "completely cleared my name" after being acquitted by a Swiss court of inciting aggravated criminal mismanagement.

    Al-Khelaifi had been charged in a case relating to beIN Media Group's allocation of television rights for the 2026 and 2030 World Cups.

    The case also involved ex-FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke, who was found guilty of forging documents relating to separate media rights and given a 120-day suspended prison sentence.

    A statement from PSG chief Al-Khelaifi, who is also part of UEFA's executive committee, read: "Today's verdict is a total vindication.

    "After a relentless four-year campaign against me that ignored the basic facts and the law at every turn, I have finally, fully and completely cleared my name.

    "It restores my faith in the rule of law and in due process, after four years of baseless allegations, fictitious charges and constant smears of my reputation - all of which have been proven to be completely and wholly unsubstantiated."

    He added: "I can now devote all my energy to my various roles, which are all focused on building a positive future for world sport - at a time when the industry needs strong leadership the most."

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.