EPL

Pogba still not fully fit but will come good for Man Utd - Solskjaer

By Sports Desk September 26, 2020

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says Paul Pogba is still not fully fit but backed the Manchester United midfielder to "get better and better" after the dramatic 3-2 win at Brighton and Hove Albion.

Pogba did not have a full pre-season with United after testing positive for coronavirus last month.

The France midfielder was ineffective as the Red Devils slumped to a 3-1 home defeat against Crystal Palace in their first game of the Premier League season last weekend.

Pogba was taken off midway through the second half of that surprise loss at Old Trafford and was also withdrawn after 65 minutes of a thriller against Brighton at the Amex Stadium on Saturday.

United boss Solskjaer defended the former Juventus man, after Bruno Fernandes snatched all three points with a penalty 10 minutes into time added on following a VAR check that took place after the final whistle had blown.

Solskjaer said of Pogba: "He missed a lot of pre-season because of his illness. He's not had internationals or the friendly against Villa.

"The two 65 minutes he's had will help him along and he'll just get better and better."

Brighton hit the woodwork five times and had a penalty decision overturned but looked to have earned a point through Solly March before the late twist.

Related items

  • Ronaldo clear of COVID-19 after negative test result Ronaldo clear of COVID-19 after negative test result

    Juventus could have Cristiano Ronaldo available for Sunday's Serie A clash with Spezia after the club announced he has recovered from COVID-19.

    The Portugal forward had been self-isolating since testing positive for the virus while away on international duty in early October. 

    Ronaldo has not played for Juve since a 2-2 draw against Roma at the end of September, and this week missed a reunion with Barcelona adversary Lionel Messi in the Champions League. 

    A statement from Juventus said: "Cristiano Ronaldo carried out the check with a diagnostic test (swab) for COVID-19. 

    "The examination gave a negative result. The player is therefore cured after 19 days and is no longer subjected to home isolation."

  • England World Cup winner Nobby Stiles dies aged 78 England World Cup winner Nobby Stiles dies aged 78

    England World Cup winner and former Manchester United player Nobby Stiles has died at the age of 78.

    Stiles' family confirmed that the one-time midfielder passed away peacefully on Friday after a long illness.

    Manchester-born Stiles earned 28 caps for England and was a big part of the squad that won the World Cup in 1966.

    Two years later, he was part of the United side that became the first English club to win the European Cup.

    He made almost 400 appearances for United in all competitions across an 11-year spell at Old Trafford and went on to play for Middlesbrough and Preston North End, before hanging up his boots in 1975.

    A statement from United read: "We are extremely saddened to learn of the passing of Nobby Stiles MBE.

    "An integral part of our first-ever European Cup-winning side, Nobby was a titan of the club's history, cherished for his heart and personality on and off the pitch. He will be sorely missed by us all."

    The England national team Twitter account posted: "We're incredibly saddened to learn of the passing of Nobby Stiles, a key member of our World Cup-winning squad, at the age of 78. All of our thoughts are with Nobby's loved ones."

    Former England striker Gary Lineker was also among those to pay tribute to Stiles on social media, tweeting: "Saddened to hear that Nobby Stiles has passed away.

    "Another of our 1966 World Cup winning heroes leaves us. He had a heart that was even bigger than the gap in his teeth. RIP Nobby."

  • Denver Broncos cancel practice after positive COVID-19 test Denver Broncos cancel practice after positive COVID-19 test

    The Denver Broncos postponed a planned practice on Friday as a precaution after a player tested positive for COVID-19.

    As they prepare for Sunday's home game against the Los Angeles Chargers, the Broncos will hold virtual meetings while operating under the league's coronavirus protocols amid the health pandemic.

    Denver also confirmed that the individual who tested positive is now in self-isolation, as are two other players deemed to have been close contacts.

    "We were informed early this morning that a Broncos player has tested positive for COVID-19," a statement from the team read.

    "The player is at home in self-isolation along with two other players who were determined to be close contacts. Our organisation, which has been operating under the league's intensive protocols, is in consultation with the NFL and taking guidance from medical experts.

    "As a precaution, we have made the decision to postpone today's practice and conduct virtual meetings in preparation for Sunday's game against the Chargers. The team is scheduled to return to UCHealth Training Center for practice tomorrow.

    "The health and safety of the players, coaches and staff will continue to be of the highest priority."

    According to an ESPN report citing an unnamed source, a player from the Minnesota Vikings roster has also returned a positive test result for the virus. 

    The Vikings travel to face divisional rivals Green Bay in Week 8 of the regular season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.