EPL

Man City's Gundogan tests positive for COVID-19

By Sports Desk September 21, 2020

Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan has tested positive for coronavirus.

The club announced on Monday that the Germany international had contracted COVID-19.

He is now self-isolating for 10 days and will miss City's Premier League opener against Wolves on Monday.

Gundogan will also be unavailable for the EFL Cup clash with Bournemouth on Thursday and the league visit of Leicester City three days later.

Related items

  • DFL chief Seifert to depart in 2022 DFL chief Seifert to depart in 2022

    Christian Seifert, the chief executive of the German Football League (DFL), will leave his role when his contract expires in 2022.

    The 51-year-old has held the most senior role in the DFL since 2005.

    However, Seifert's current deal is up in two years' time and he has announced he does not intend to agree an extension, preferring to "open a new professional chapter".

    He added: "Until then, I will of course continue to focus on current and future challenges in my DFL positions with the greatest ambition and full commitment."

    DFL supervisory board chairman Peter Peters said: "The change at the top of the DFL means a turning point.

    "Christian Seifert has done outstanding work for more than 15 years and has thus made a significant contribution to the success of the Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga.

    "I am convinced that Christian will continue to be fully committed to the DFL until the end of the contract period.

    "The supervisory board will approach the new appointment professionally without time pressure and set up a comprehensive process for this purpose."

  • Crowds expected to be allowed in for Australia-India Boxing Day Test Crowds expected to be allowed in for Australia-India Boxing Day Test

    Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews is "very confident" there will be a crowd allowed in for Australia's Boxing Day Test against India after it was announced a long lockdown will end this week. 

    Strict lockdown restrictions will largely end from 11.59pm in Melbourne on Tuesday after no new coronavirus cases were recorded for the first time since June 9. 

    The state of Victoria has been in a hard lockdown for over four months, but shops, restaurants, cafes and bars will be allowed to open and outdoors contact sports can resume this week. 

    While Premier Andrews thinks it will be too soon for people to attend the Melbourne Cup, he expects the doors to be open for another huge event on the Australian sporting calendar. 

    "The Boxing Day Test of course is very different because that is some way off," he told reporters 

    "I am very confident that we will get a crowd at the MCG for the Boxing Day Test. 

    "I don't know how big it will be but there will be a crowd, that'' the advice that I have, that's what we're working towards." 

    The MCG is set to stage the third of four Tests against Virat Kohli's side.

  • Rumour Has It: Man City eyeing Nagelsmann amid Guardiola doubts, Ramos-Madrid deadlocked Rumour Has It: Man City eyeing Nagelsmann amid Guardiola doubts, Ramos-Madrid deadlocked

    It remains to be seen whether Pep Guardiola will re-sign with Manchester City.

    Guardiola's contract expires at the end of the season in Manchester.

    Should the Spaniard decide to move on, there are already two men on the list to replace him.

     

    TOP STORY – CITY INTERESTED IN NAGELSMANN

    Manchester City are eyeing RB Leipzig head coach Julian Nagelsmann as a possible replacement for Pep Guardiola, according to the Daily Mail.

    Guardiola is out of contract at the end of the 2020-21 campaign and the City manager – who has been previously linked to Juventus – is no closer to re-signing.

    Should Guardiola decide to leave after arriving in 2016, Nagelsmann and former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino are early candidates.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Sergio Ramos and LaLiga champions Real Madrid remain deadlocked over contract talks, claims the front page of Monday's Diario AS. The 34-year-old is set to become a free agent at the end of the season and he wants a two-year deal, though Madrid are only committed to 12 months.

    - Tuttosport reports Juve and Barcelona are both pursuing Ajax sensation Ryan Gravenberch. The 18-year-old midfielder emerged from Ajax's youth system in 2018.

    Barcelona will block a January loan offer from Ligue 1 holders Paris Saint-Germain for Riqui Puig, according to Mundo Deportivo.

    Kylian Mbappe extending his PSG contract has not been ruled out, claims L'Equipe. Tipped to eventually join Madrid, while the likes of Liverpool, Barca and Manchester United have also been linked, Mbappe could stay in Paris should certain conditions be met. The Frenchman is keen to see what unfolds in the next transfer windows.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.