Courtois not concerned by blunt Madrid display in season opener

By Sports Desk September 20, 2020

Thibaut Courtois is confident Real Madrid are not short of goals despite struggling to a goalless draw at Real Sociedad on Sunday.

LaLiga's reigning champions began the new campaign with a frustrating stalemate in which Courtois had to make a brilliant one-on-one stop from Alexander Isak to preserve a point.

That was the clearest opening of the match, although Karim Benzema miscued when he looked set to strike moments before Isak ran through at the other end.

Benzema was supported by Martin Odegaard in an advanced midfield role, but Madrid - still missing Eden Hazard and having moved on Gareth Bale and James Rodriguez - could not forge a breakthrough despite mustering 16 shots in total.

Courtois told Movistar: "Of course we've got goals. You see it in training, you see it in the last pre-season friendly we had against Getafe [a 6-0 win].

"But sometimes the ball just doesn't want to go in. I don't have any doubt there are plenty of goals in this team."

The goalkeeper was encouraged by his team-mates' work to subdue Sociedad, who had just 32 per cent of the possession and were restricted to six attempts.

"If we don't concede too many goals and we can order ourselves and be difficult to score against, we have at the other end of the pitch Karim Benzema, who always plays at a very high level and didn't have any luck tonight," Courtois said.

"It's always important for us to keep a clean sheet. That's the way it went after lockdown. It ended up that many of our games were without conceding."

Despite his failure to inspire victory, it was a big night for Odegaard, making his full league debut for Madrid against the side he played for on loan last season.

The 21-year-old had one blocked shot and contributed two key passes.

"It was a very special game for me. I was playing against friends, good people. Very special," Odegaard said. "I felt good, but obviously the victory was missing."

Stand-in Sociedad captain Mikel Oyarzabal said of his former team-mate: "Martin knows he's much loved here, but today we didn't want things to go too well for him.

"I'm sure he'll soon show his quality for Real Madrid."

Related items

  • Ibrahimovic has 'shifted the balance more' in Italy than Ronaldo Ibrahimovic has 'shifted the balance more' in Italy than Ronaldo

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic has had a greater impact on Italian football than Cristiano Ronaldo, according to former Milan and Juventus head coach Alberto Zaccheroni. 

    The 39-year-old has made a considerable impact since rejoining Milan in January, scoring 11 goals in 20 appearances in the second half of the 2019-20 campaign.

    He has been in equally impressive form this season despite missing almost a month after contracting COVID-19, taking his tally to four goals in just two games with a double against Inter at the weekend. 

    One of the best strikers of his generation, Ibrahimovic spent two years with Milan earlier in his distinguished career, a stint that included securing the Serie A title in 2011. 

    Ronaldo, meanwhile, has been just as prolific since he joined Juve from Real Madrid in 2018, scoring 68 goals in 91 appearances across all competitions. 

    Zaccheroni, though, is in no doubt which player has had more influence on Serie A. 

    "I have coached great champions in my career, from [Oliver] Bierhoff to [George] Weah up to Adriano but the only regret I have is that I never trained Ibrahimovic," he told Il Giornale.

    "He is eternal and I still don't understand why he never won the Ballon d'Or.

    "In Italy, he has shifted the balance more than Ronaldo. It is no coincidence that many young players have grown exponentially since his arrival.

    "He doesn't just score. He transmits confidence to all his team-mates, carrying the team on his shoulders in difficult moments."

  • Real Madrid 'should never have let Cristiano Ronaldo leave for Juventus' Real Madrid 'should never have let Cristiano Ronaldo leave for Juventus'

    Cristiano Ronaldo is a "machine of sacrifice" who should never have been allowed to leave Real Madrid, according to Shakhtar Donetsk head coach Luis Castro.

    The six-time Ballon d'Or winner scored a club-record 450 goals for Madrid and won five trophies during his nine years in the Spanish capital.

    He left for Juventus in a mega-money deal in July 2018 and has maintained his impressive form with 68 goals in all competitions, helping his side to successive Serie A titles.

    That includes a return of a combined 69 goals and assists in the Italian top flight since the start of 2018-19 – two more than next best Ciro Immobile at Lazio.

    Ahead of Shakhtar's Champions League Group B opener with Madrid on Wednesday, Castro has questioned the LaLiga giants' decision to let the superstar forward depart.

    "When you have Cristiano on your team you should never let him go. Never," he told Marca.  

    "We are talking about the best, the most effective footballer in the world, a machine, a machine of sacrifice."

    Ronaldo was crowned the world's best player five times at Madrid and once during his spell with Manchester United, where he spent six seasons after joining from Sporting CP. 

    And Castro argued the Portugal international has done enough throughout his career to rightly be considered the greatest player to have ever played the game.

    "I do not like to compare. But yes, for me he is the best," Castro said. "Cristiano has a story behind him that is exemplary. 

    "He moved at just 11 years of age to Lisbon to be a footballer, leaving his home. Cristiano is someone that has risen alone, with a unique determination.

    "For me he is an example for all children. People criticise Ronaldo too much. 'What if he does this, what if he spends so much money on this or the other?'.

    "Yet he responds on the field every game, being aware of where he comes from. 

    "The day they make a Cristiano movie and people see where he really comes from, how he became a footballer, he will be valued much more."

  • Diego Costa thigh injury confirmed ahead of Atleti's trip to Bayern Diego Costa thigh injury confirmed ahead of Atleti's trip to Bayern

    Diego Costa is set to miss Atletico Madrid's Champions League opener against Bayern Munich after suffering a left thigh injury. 

    Atleti striker Costa partnered Luis Suarez in attack against Celta Vigo in LaLiga on Saturday but had to be substituted in the 50th minute of the 2-0 victory at the Balaidos. 

    The 32-year-old, whose only goal this season was in the 6-1 win over Granada in September, is not expected to feature in the trip to Champions League holders Bayern on Wednesday, though no time frame for his recovery was provided. 

    A statement published on Atleti's website on Monday read: "Diego Costa underwent tests at the Clinica Universidad de Navarra that confirmed he has suffered a muscle injury in the left thigh. The striker is pending response to treatment."  

    Costa managed just one shot on goal during his time on the pitch against Celta but boss Diego Simeone was impressed with his link-up play with Suarez, who reached 150 LaLiga goals with an early strike.  

    "I liked the mix of the two. The characteristics of the two allow them to play together," he said. 

    "They give us strength in attack, and presence and personality in the penalty area. It's one of the options the team has." 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.