EPL

Arteta was worried Aubameyang might leave Arsenal

By Sports Desk September 18, 2020

Mikel Arteta has revealed he was not always confident Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang would commit his future to the club.

Aubameyang, who scored in the Gunners' opening Premier League win at Fulham, signed a new three-year deal at Emirates Stadium this week.

A successful resolution to negotiations had been hinted at since the end of last season, with Arteta positive when discussing a possible renewal, even with Aubameyang's initial contract up at the end of the campaign.

But the Arsenal manager says such optimism was not always there, having identified that the club's tight finances might prove an issue.

"At the start, when I joined, I wasn't as positive as I was a few weeks ago," said Arteta, who was appointed in December.

"Obviously, financially, we were in a position where it was difficult to get what we wanted to get, and I think Auba had his doubts at the time.

"But things evolved in a natural way and I had a feeling that the club wanted to move forward.

"I had a feeling that Auba wanted to stay here and we were just trying to put those things together. That can sometimes take some time, but if the outcome is what we both wanted then we're happy.

"I played my part, which is part of my job, to try to explain to him what we are trying to do and how important he would be while we are building."

Aubameyang joined Arsenal from Borussia Dortmund in January 2018 and has since scored 55 times in the Premier League, as well as winning the FA Cup last season.

The 31-year-old was linked with moves to Barcelona and Inter before signing new terms in London.

Related items

  • DFL chief Seifert to depart in 2022 DFL chief Seifert to depart in 2022

    Christian Seifert, the chief executive of the German Football League (DFL), will leave his role when his contract expires in 2022.

    The 51-year-old has held the most senior role in the DFL since 2005.

    However, Seifert's current deal is up in two years' time and he has announced he does not intend to agree an extension, preferring to "open a new professional chapter".

    He added: "Until then, I will of course continue to focus on current and future challenges in my DFL positions with the greatest ambition and full commitment."

    DFL supervisory board chairman Peter Peters said: "The change at the top of the DFL means a turning point.

    "Christian Seifert has done outstanding work for more than 15 years and has thus made a significant contribution to the success of the Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga.

    "I am convinced that Christian will continue to be fully committed to the DFL until the end of the contract period.

    "The supervisory board will approach the new appointment professionally without time pressure and set up a comprehensive process for this purpose."

  • Rumour Has It: Man City eyeing Nagelsmann amid Guardiola doubts, Ramos-Madrid deadlocked Rumour Has It: Man City eyeing Nagelsmann amid Guardiola doubts, Ramos-Madrid deadlocked

    It remains to be seen whether Pep Guardiola will re-sign with Manchester City.

    Guardiola's contract expires at the end of the season in Manchester.

    Should the Spaniard decide to move on, there are already two men on the list to replace him.

     

    TOP STORY – CITY INTERESTED IN NAGELSMANN

    Manchester City are eyeing RB Leipzig head coach Julian Nagelsmann as a possible replacement for Pep Guardiola, according to the Daily Mail.

    Guardiola is out of contract at the end of the 2020-21 campaign and the City manager – who has been previously linked to Juventus – is no closer to re-signing.

    Should Guardiola decide to leave after arriving in 2016, Nagelsmann and former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino are early candidates.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Sergio Ramos and LaLiga champions Real Madrid remain deadlocked over contract talks, claims the front page of Monday's Diario AS. The 34-year-old is set to become a free agent at the end of the season and he wants a two-year deal, though Madrid are only committed to 12 months.

    - Tuttosport reports Juve and Barcelona are both pursuing Ajax sensation Ryan Gravenberch. The 18-year-old midfielder emerged from Ajax's youth system in 2018.

    Barcelona will block a January loan offer from Ligue 1 holders Paris Saint-Germain for Riqui Puig, according to Mundo Deportivo.

    Kylian Mbappe extending his PSG contract has not been ruled out, claims L'Equipe. Tipped to eventually join Madrid, while the likes of Liverpool, Barca and Manchester United have also been linked, Mbappe could stay in Paris should certain conditions be met. The Frenchman is keen to see what unfolds in the next transfer windows.

  • Pirlo not worried ahead of Barcelona clash as Juventus held again Pirlo not worried ahead of Barcelona clash as Juventus held again

    Andrea Pirlo insisted he was unworried about Barcelona after Juventus were held to another draw in Serie A.

    Juve needed a 77th-minute equaliser from Dejan Kulusevski to earn a 1-1 draw at home to Hellas Verona, who went ahead through Andrea Favilli on Sunday.

    The Serie A champions are winless in two consecutive league games against Verona for the first time since 1989 as Juve moved onto nine points through five games.

    Juve host Barca in the Champions League on Wednesday, but Pirlo was unfazed, saying he expected a different type of game.

    "No, I am not worried ahead of Barcelona, because they're two completely different games, with two different styles of play," the Juve head coach told a news conference.

    "As I said earlier, Atalanta like Verona play in a completely different way compared to Barcelona, therefore when you play against this kind of team it's a kind of game of its own.

    "You have to try and do certain things, which we tried to do during the game."

    The result left Juve three points behind leaders Milan, who host Roma on Monday.

    But Pirlo, who only took charge in August, is remaining upbeat about the direction his side are heading in.

    "No, I am not worried [about the draws] because we are under construction," he said.

    "Of course, we're sorry we're dropping points along the way, but we're on the right path and we are building a long-term project.

    "It's only the fifth game we play together and for our future I can only see positive things."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.