Neymar banned for two matches after Classique red card

By Sports Desk September 16, 2020

Neymar has been banned for two matches following his red card for Paris Saint-Germain in their Classique defeat to Marseille.

PSG went down 1-0 to rivals Marseille on Sunday, but the match was marred by an incredible finale in which five players were dismissed.

Neymar, the world's most expensive player, was the last of those to see red after striking Alvaro Gonzalez on the back of the head.

The Brazilian alleged afterwards he had been the victim of racist abuse from Alvaro, who denied the accusations.

The results of a disciplinary tribunal were revealed on Wednesday and Neymar has had a third match added to his ban as a suspended sentence.

Layvin Kurzawa was handed a six-game ban, with Leandro Paredes also out for just two fixtures.

The trio watched on as PSG belatedly claimed their first win of the season against Metz, a match in which Abdou Diallo also saw red.

Angel Di Maria was the champions' star performer but has now been called up to face the disciplinary commission next Wednesday in relation to the Marseille game.

OM's Jordan Amavi was ruled out for three games, with Dario Benedetto facing just a one-match suspension.

Related items

  • Mbappe available for PSG clash with Nice Mbappe available for PSG clash with Nice

    Kylian Mbappe is available to play for Paris Saint-Germain against Nice on Sunday, Thomas Tuchel has confirmed.

    Mbappe has yet to play for PSG in the 2020-21 season after testing positive for coronavirus while on international duty with France.

    However, Tuchel said both Ligue 1 and the club doctor have given clearance for Mbappe to make his first appearance for the club since the Champions League final defeat to Bayern Munich.

    "We need to talk with Kylian. The doctor and the league told us it's possible," he said.

    "I don't know if he can play. We have to wait. He's in the squad. We'll see if he can play.

    "It's between me and Kylian. We're going to talk after practice. I have to see if he's feeling okay and we'll decide if he starts or ends the game."

    PSG will be without defender Juan Bernat for much of the season after he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in the 1-0 win over Dijon, which marked their first victory of the new campaign.

    However, Tuchel is not looking to purchase a replacement, adding: "Bernat is a key player but we have [Layvin] Kurzawa, [Mitchel] Bakker and [Abdou] Diallo. It is not the priority to buy a player for this position."

    Tuchel is eyeing reinforcements in the transfer window, however, with Thiago Silva having joined Chelsea and Edinson Cavani also leaving the club.

    "It is always the objective to have a group ready to start a championship," said Tuchel. "The priority is clear, we need a striker, a central defender and a midfielder. We must replace the players we lost."

     

  • Villa sign ex-Chelsea, Ajax forward Traore from Lyon Villa sign ex-Chelsea, Ajax forward Traore from Lyon

    Aston Villa have signed Lyon forward Bertrand Traore for an undisclosed fee, thought to be worth in the region of £19million (€20.5m).

    The 25-year-old has agreed a long-term contract at Villa Park and his move is subject to international clearance.

    "We're delighted that Bertrand has chosen to come to Villa," manager Dean Smith told his club's official website ahead of their Premier League opener against Sheffield United on Monday.

    "He's a player with immense talent who will really enhance our attacking options."

    Traore cited the presence of Smith's assistant John Terry, with whom he shared a dressing room at Chelsea, as a factor in the transfer, while he also counts Villa duo Marvelous Nakamba and Anwar El Ghazi as former team-mates from his time in the Eredivisie.

    "I played with JT at Chelsea, I spoke to him," he told Villa TV

    “I spoke to the manager, spoke with the sporting director as well and some players I used to play with – Nakamba and El Ghazi.

    “I spoke to Nakamba, I talked to him a little bit about the club. Many things made me take the decision to come here. I'm happy."

    Traore joined Chelsea as a teenager and enjoyed loan stints at Vitesse and Ajax before joining Lyon for an initial €10m in 2017.

    He scored 33 goals in 126 appearances for last season's Champions League semi-finalists but insists he always wanted another crack at England's top flight.

    "I always wanted to come back to the Premier League," he added. "I had to follow my own way as well and gain some more experience.

    "I think it is the right time to come back.I think I'm coming back as a better player, with more experience."

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool to sign Diogo Jota, Alex Telles agrees Man Utd deal Rumour Has It: Liverpool to sign Diogo Jota, Alex Telles agrees Man Utd deal

    Liverpool's transfer activity is ramping up.

    After securing the services of Spanish midfielder Thiago Alcantara, Diogo Jota is reportedly next on the list.

    Could there be more arrivals?

     

    TOP STORY – JOTA LIVERPOOL BOUND

    Premier League champions Liverpool are set to complete the signing of Wolves star Diogo Jota, according to Goal.

    Liverpool announced the arrival of Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich on Friday as they look to retain their Premier League crown in 2020-21.

    Now, Jurgen Klopp's men are poised to bring former Atletico Madrid forward Jota to Anfield amid widespread speculation.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - RMC claims Porto full-back Alex Telles has agreed terms with Manchester United over a five-year deal. However, Paris Saint-Germain are also considering a move for the 27-year-old Brazilian following Juan Bernat's knee injury.

    - Liverpool have enquired about Schalke star Ozan Kabak, reports Chris Williams. Bundesliga strugglers Schalke are reluctant to sell the 20-year-old centre-back.

    Atletico Madrid are finalising a deal for Bayern Munich utility Javier Martinez, says Marca. Martinez played for Athletic Bilbao before joining Bundesliga powerhouse Bayern in 2012.

    - The Daily Mail claims Manchester City are eyeing Sevilla defender Jules Kounde as an alternative to Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly. Pep Guardiola's City have been tipped to sign Koulibaly, though they have struggled to find an agreement with Napoli as PSG reportedly circle.

    Milan have overtaken Barcelona in the race to sign Lyon captain Memphis Depay, according to Sky Italia. Tipped to reunite with former Netherlands boss Ronald Koeman at Barca, Depay could now join Milan in a swap deal involving Lucas Paqueta.

    - The front page of Saturday's Mundo Deportivo says Barca are looking to sell Nelson Semedo to fund new arrivals, with Ajax sensation and Bayern target Sergino Dest, City defender Eric Garcia and Depay wanted.

    - Goal confirmed Juventus are working to bring Everton forward Moise Kean back to Turin in addition to signing Roma's Edin Dzeko. Juve are interested in a loan deal, though Everton are asking for a permanent transfer or loan with an obligation to buy.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.