Dier unaffected by Bale's Spurs return speculation

By Sports Desk September 16, 2020

Eric Dier understands the buzz surrounding Gareth Bale's potential return to Tottenham but insists he is unaffected by any speculation.

Bale could be in line to return to Spurs seven years after leaving for Real Madrid, with Los Blancos reportedly keen to get the Wales star – who played just 20 times last season – off their books.

Jonathan Barnett, Bale's agent, confirmed to Stats Perform News on Wednesday that talks were ongoing over a deal, though would not say if an agreement was close.

However, Dier insisted he and the squad do not let transfer speculation impact their performances.

"I'm sure from the fans' point of view, when you're linked with a player of that level it's obviously exciting," Dier told a news conference ahead of Spurs' Europa League qualifier against Lokomotiv Plovdiv.

"For me personally, it doesn't really affect me in any way. It's not the first time and it won't be the last time.

"There's constantly speculation, lots of different talk. Every day people are trying to fill the newspapers and the websites, personally it doesn't really affect me in any way. I'm quite used to it."

Dier also added that there had not been any discussion about Bale between the squad members.

"No, nothing on the WhatsApp group. Obviously there's a lot of speculation and it's impossible not to see it but it's not for me to speculate," the England international, who does not believe Spurs' dressing room is in need of a lift despite a poor performance in their season-opening game against Everton, said.

"I don't know because he's still at Real Madrid, I really can't talk about a player from another team. It has really got nothing to do with me.

"The dressing room isn't in a bad place, we've had one game. Pre-season was in very difficult circumstances. The mood has been very positive within the group.

"I'm still really excited for the season, feel upbeat. We didn't start in the way we wanted to, but still feel we're in a very good place. It's all about taking every game as it comes and being fully focused on tomorrow. We need a good result."

Spurs have signed Matt Doherty and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg this transfer window and are also being linked with Bale's Madrid club-mate Sergio Reguilon, but Dier does not believe the squad is in desperate need of fresh faces.

"There is a lot of new blood in the dressing room. [Steven] Bergwijn, Gedson Fernandes – Pierre and Matt both just arrived," he said.

"I already feel it's a very different dressing room. I already feel there's a very different dynamic."

Related items

  • Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus

    Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier has tested positive for coronavirus, the German club have announced.

    The 18-year-old, who joined Dortmund on a two-year loan deal from Real Madrid in August, underwent PCR tests for COVID-19 upon his return from international duty with Brazil Under-23s last week.

    Reinier was not part of Dortmund's squad for their Bundesliga win over Hertha Berlin at the weekend and no other BVB players have tested positive.

    Dortmund confirmed the news on Monday, a day before their Champions League match with Club Brugge, and added that the teenager is asymptomatic and is now self-isolating.

    He has been used seven times by Lucien Favre, each of those appearances coming from the bench.

    Reinier, who won the Campeonato Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores with Flamengo in 2019, has yet to score, assist or create a chance in his three Bundesliga outings and has managed just one shot.

    Tuesday's meeting with Brugge is the first of three home games in a row for Dortmund, with Koln and Lazio to come in the next nine days.

  • Pogba could make Champions League return as Solskjaer denies Henderson wants loan move Pogba could make Champions League return as Solskjaer denies Henderson wants loan move

    Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has denied Dean Henderson wants a move in January and revealed Paul Pogba could return against Istanbul Basaksehir on Tuesday.

    It was reported by The Sun at the weekend that goalkeeper Henderson is eager to make another loan switch to give himself every chance of being selected in the England squad for Euro 2020 next year.

    Henderson was outstanding for Sheffield United in the Premier League last season but signed a new long-term deal with United after returning to Old Trafford.

    The 23-year-old has been limited to two EFL Cup appearances and one Champions League outing in Istanbul in the 2019-20 campaign, with David de Gea Solskjaer's first-choice keeper.

    Henderson is thought to be set to start when Group H leaders United go in search of revenge against the Turkish champions and Solskjaer says further opportunities will come his way.

    He said in a press conference on Monday: "Dean wants to stay at Man United and play for Man United.

    "I can't see the logic in [Henderson making] only one more appearance before Christmas. Do you know how many games we have?

    "He is training well, he has potential to be one of the best. I don't buy the argument it is make or break for him [on Tuesday]."

    There was further speculation over Pogba's future after the midfielder was not included in the squad for a 1-0 win over West Brom on Saturday, an absence Solskjaer revealed was due to a knock.

    The France international may be back at Old Trafford for a crunch encounter with a side that beat them 2-1 earlier this month.

    Jesse Lingard is unavailable as he has gone into self-isolation after coming into contact with an individual who tested positive for coronavirus.

    Asked about Pogba's fitness, Solskjaer said: "We hope he is going to be available. We will see when we report tomorrow. [Luke] Shaw, [Phil] Jones out. Lingard is self-isolating after contact with a positive case."

  • Pirlo to unleash Ronaldo-Dybala-Morata trident as Juventus battle defensive crisis Pirlo to unleash Ronaldo-Dybala-Morata trident as Juventus battle defensive crisis

    Andrea Pirlo is keen to experiment with a three-pronged forward line for Juventus featuring Cristiano Ronaldo, Paulo Dybala and Alvaro Morata despite an injury crisis in defence.

    The trio have not yet started together in any competition this season due to injury and illness.

    Ronaldo, Juve's top scorer this season with eight goals in six appearances, missed four matches across Serie A and the Champions League after testing positive for coronavirus in October.

    Dybala has battled injury and ill health and has only recovered full fitness in the past week, and Morata, who has six goals in nine games, needed time to settle after signing on loan from Atletico Madrid in September.

    Pirlo thinks all three are ready to start against Ferencvaros on Tuesday, as Juve aim to secure their place in the last 16, although he is wary of leaving the team too unbalanced.

    "We've been thinking about it from the start. Unfortunately, we never had them together in good condition," he told reporters on Monday.

    "Dybala was injured, Morata wasn't there right at the start, Ronaldo had COVID... they trained together for a few days. Now, we'll try to balance the team, and then we'll look for a solution to let them play together, if possible."

    He said of Dybala, who missed Argentina's World Cup qualifiers this month with illness: "He's better, he's ready. He trained continuously during the international break, apart from the first few days when he was on antibiotics.

    "He moved better, he got strength back in his legs and we'll see if we can play him from the start."

    Juve's attacking riches are in stark contrast to a depleted defence, made worse by the news Merih Demiral will be out for around 10 days with a muscle issue.

    With Leonardo Bonucci and Giorgio Chiellini also sidelined, Pirlo will be forced into something of a makeshift defence against Ferencvaros.

    "There are four left at the back and they'll play. Danilo will be at centre-back and Alex Sandro will return at full-back," he said.

    "We'll see about the rest. [Dejan] Kulusevski has played a lot of games and [Federico] Chiesa, I don't think he's ready to play from the first minute yet. Let's see how they are tomorrow."

    Juve's clean sheet in last weekend's 2-0 win over Cagliari was only their fourth in all competitions in 2020-21.

    They conceded three times in their first three Champions League group games and faced 36 shots in total, only nine fewer than Tuesday's winless opponents.

    However, victory will guarantee their place in the next round if Dynamo Kiev fail to beat Barcelona.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.