Messi has already left Barcelona – Valdano

By Sports Desk September 01, 2020

Lionel Messi is already mentally out of the door at Barcelona and is sure to continue his career elsewhere, believes Jorge Valdano.

Six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi did not take part in Barca's first day of pre-season training under Ronald Koeman on Monday, having informed the club of his desire to leave.

The Argentina international believes a clause in his contract allowing him to leave on a free transfer has been activated, though the club and LaLiga are of the opinion his €700million release clause remains the only valid way to terminate his deal, which runs until next June.

Manchester City are thought to be leading the race to sign Messi, with Paris Saint-Germain and Inter also credited with significant interest.

Former Real Madrid forward, head coach and director general Valdano, who began his playing career at Messi's boyhood club Newell's Old Boys and won the 1986 World Cup with Argentina, is confident the 33-year-old's future lies away from Camp Nou.

"Either he goes to another club or to his home, but he has already left Barcelona. I am totally convinced. I have no doubt," he said on Onda Cero show El Transistor.

"The sooner Barcelona realise they are going to lose the best player in their history, the sooner they can focus on rebuilding."

It has been suggested Messi could perform a U-turn on his decision to leave Barca, as he did after announcing his international retirement in the wake of Argentina losing the Copa America Centenario final to Chile in 2016.

"They are completely different situations because there is no contract or anything similar when Leo left the Albiceleste and returned," Valdano said.

"There are no personal problems. I don't know how far this period is going to go, which is toxic for the club, player and LaLiga.

"[Barca president Josep Maria] Bartomeu must think that when Messi leaves, he should go too… but prolonging this seems to me to be harmful to Barca."

Related items

  • Huesca 0-0 Atletico Madrid: Suarez fails to provide spark on full debut Huesca 0-0 Atletico Madrid: Suarez fails to provide spark on full debut

    Atletico Madrid failed to build on their rout of Granada as they were held to a goalless draw at Huesca in their second LaLiga match of 2020-21.

    Luis Suarez came on from the bench to star in Sunday's 6-1 victory at Wanda Metropolitano, but the former Barcelona man failed to make the same impact after starting on Wednesday.

    Indeed, Suarez managed just two attempts at goal in a little over an hour on the pitch, though his replacement Diego Costa fared little better.

    Joao Felix's snapshot and Koke's blocked effort came close to breaking Huesca's resolve, but the promoted side held firm to secure a deserved point as Atleti failed to hunt down what would have been a 200th LaLiga triumph for Diego Simeone.

    Huesca should have had their rewards for a bright start in the 19th minute, yet Jaime Seoane headed over from close range after meeting Dimitrios Siovas' cross.

    Suarez had his first meaningful attempt soon after, though he was swiftly charged down – one of just two Atleti shots in the first half.

    Joao Felix crafted space for a shot with some quick footwork in the 66th minute, but his effort arrowed narrowly wide before Koke saw an effort blocked.

    Having only previously had to make the save from Suarez, Fernandez came up big in the 89th minute to keep out Joao Felix's volley and seal a well-earned point

    What does it mean? Simeone made to wait for landmark win

    Simeone needs just one more victory to take him to 200 wins as a coach in LaLiga. He has taken charge of 327 games, with 78 draws and 50 defeats. However, his side put in a lethargic and blunt display at El Alcoraz, in contrast to their dominant performance last time out.

    Siovas and Pulido keep Suarez and co. quiet

    It was a job well done by Huesca's centre-back pairing, who closed down the space for Suarez and Joao Felix to operate in. Their resilience helped the hosts end their run of two defeats to Atleti, which both occurred in the 2018-19 season.

    Suarez struggles on his first start

    In his only previous league match against Huesca, in September 2018, Suarez was involved in three Barcelona goals. However, he was not up to scratch on his full Atleti debut, registering just one attempt on target and failing to create any chances.

    What's next? 

    Villarreal visit Wanda Metropolitano on Saturday in Atleti's next outing, while Huesca travel to face Elche.

  • Lyon seal deal for Paqueta from Milan Lyon seal deal for Paqueta from Milan

    Lyon have confirmed the arrival of Lucas Paqueta from Milan in a reported €20million transfer.

    The Brazil attacker joined the Rossoneri for €35m from Flamengo in January 2019 and initially impressed, scoring once in 13 appearances in his first half-season in Serie A.

    But Paqueta failed to find the net at all last season and started just 12 times in the league.

    Milan have now cut their losses and allowed the 23-year-old to join last season's Champions League semi-finalists Lyon on a five-year deal.

    Having been an unused substitute in Milan's first two games of the new season, Paqueta was presented in France on Wednesday.

  • Suarez handed first Atleti start after stunning cameo against Granada Suarez handed first Atleti start after stunning cameo against Granada

    Luis Suarez has been handed his full debut for Atletico Madrid as Diego Simeone's side take on Huesca in their second LaLiga fixture of the campaign.

    Suarez came off the bench to run riot in the final 20 minutes of Atleti's 6-1 demolition of Granada on Sunday.

    The Uruguay striker – signed last week in a €6million move from Barcelona – scored twice and provided an assist to round off a fine start to the season for Atleti.

    He became the first Atleti player in the 21st century to both score and assist in his first match for the club, while also becoming their first debutant ever to net a brace.

    In total, Suarez managed four attempts in total, created one chance and completed 10 passes from his 16 touches, with a 70 per cent passing accuracy.

    His reward for his efforts is a first start for his new club, with the 33-year-old partnering Joao Felix - another Sunday scorer - up front.

    Diego Costa opened the scoring against Granada, but the Spain international has made way for Suarez, despite Simeone suggesting he may use both forwards from the off.

    Suarez coming in for Costa was one of five changes made by Simeone, with Marcos Llorente, Mario Hermoso, Vitolo and Arsenal-linked Thomas Partey also starting.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.