Aubameyang deal 'close' says Arteta after striker's latest Wembley heroics

By Sports Desk August 29, 2020

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang said it is an "exciting time to be an Arsenal player" as head coach Mikel Arteta confirmed the striker was close to agreeing a new contract.

After opening the scoring in the Community Shield with a superb strike, Aubameyang converted the clinching spot-kick as Arsenal beat Premier League champions Liverpool 5-4 in a penalty shoot-out.

Aubameyang is out of contract in 2021, though discussions over a new deal appear to be not far from completion.

The 31-year-old indicated he was happy to be at Arsenal after the club secured their second trophy of this August.

"We're going to see in these [coming] days. Today we take the trophy, that's it," Aubameyang told BT Sport when asked about his contract situation.

"We are improving. There is still work to do but I'm really happy and it's an exciting time to be an Arsenal player."

Gunners coach Mikel Arteta indicated a deal is almost across the line.

"We are close," Arteta told BT Sport.

Looking at Aubameyang's performance in the 1-1 draw over 90 minutes, Arteta said: "Big games, big moments, big players.

"He's responded really well to that kind of pressure. He was magnificent in the FA Cup final and he was magnificent against today."

One player who may well be leaving Arsenal is Ainsley Maitland-Niles, who put in an accomplished display at left wing-back at the national stadium.

Wolves and Newcastle United are reportedly interested in the versatile player, but birthday boy Maitland-Niles insisted his full focus is on Arsenal as it stands.

"I'm an Arsenal player until I'm told otherwise," Maitland-Niles, 23, said.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man City eyeing Nagelsmann amid Guardiola doubts, Ramos-Madrid deadlocked Rumour Has It: Man City eyeing Nagelsmann amid Guardiola doubts, Ramos-Madrid deadlocked

    It remains to be seen whether Pep Guardiola will re-sign with Manchester City.

    Guardiola's contract expires at the end of the season in Manchester.

    Should the Spaniard decide to move on, there are already two men on the list to replace him.

     

    TOP STORY – CITY INTERESTED IN NAGELSMANN

    Manchester City are eyeing RB Leipzig head coach Julian Nagelsmann as a possible replacement for Pep Guardiola, according to the Daily Mail.

    Guardiola is out of contract at the end of the 2020-21 campaign and the City manager – who has been previously linked to Juventus – is no closer to re-signing.

    Should Guardiola decide to leave after arriving in 2016, Nagelsmann and former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino are early candidates.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Sergio Ramos and LaLiga champions Real Madrid remain deadlocked over contract talks, claims the front page of Monday's Diario AS. The 34-year-old is set to become a free agent at the end of the season and he wants a two-year deal, though Madrid are only committed to 12 months.

    - Tuttosport reports Juve and Barcelona are both pursuing Ajax sensation Ryan Gravenberch. The 18-year-old midfielder emerged from Ajax's youth system in 2018.

    Barcelona will block a January loan offer from Ligue 1 holders Paris Saint-Germain for Riqui Puig, according to Mundo Deportivo.

    Kylian Mbappe extending his PSG contract has not been ruled out, claims L'Equipe. Tipped to eventually join Madrid, while the likes of Liverpool, Barca and Manchester United have also been linked, Mbappe could stay in Paris should certain conditions be met. The Frenchman is keen to see what unfolds in the next transfer windows.

  • We cannot accept VAR mistakes – Mourinho We cannot accept VAR mistakes – Mourinho

    Jose Mourinho has criticised the use of VAR in the Merseyside derby and Manchester City's Champions League clash with Porto.

    Everton's 2-2 draw with Premier League champions Liverpool on October 17 was packed with controversy, including several tight calls going against Jurgen Klopp's side.

    Jordan Pickford avoided punishment for a rash tackle on Virgil van Dijk early on at Goodison Park – a challenge that resulted in a potentially season-ending injury for the Liverpool defender, who was flagged offside in the build-up to the incident.

    Liverpool thought they had snatched a win in stoppage time, only for Jordan Henderson's strike to be disallowed due to a marginal offside call against Sadio Mane.

    There was also a contentious moment in City's Champions League win over Porto, when Ilkay Gundogan appeared to stand on the leg of visiting goalkeeper Agustin Marchesin, a collision that resulted in a penalty for Pep Guardiola's side.

    "I think the attention is based on the fact that there is a VAR. Without VAR, the situations on the pitch happen and the human being, the referee, makes mistakes," Mourinho, whose Tottenham side face Burnley on Monday, told reporters.

    "And you know me for quite a few years – it was difficult for me to accept the human mistakes but I learned and in this moment, I always accept the referee's mistakes.

    "What we don't accept is the VAR mistakes. So, I think if the referee of that match [the Merseyside derby], 100 miles-per-hour, the situation happened, the linesman gives an offside, everybody would say: 'Ok, it was a bad tackle but it happened and it's done'.

    "But the problem was there was a VAR. The Porto goalkeeper could be now with a broken leg. And nobody understands how a broken leg [hypothetically] for a Porto goalkeeper is transformed into a penalty against them.

    "If the referee makes that mistake, everybody understands because the game is 100mph but with the VAR, how can that VAR make that mistake? And the situation of Pickford for me is the same. It's the VAR, it's not the referee."

    Tottenham head to Turf Moor on the back of a 3-0 win over LASK in the Europa League, though they drew their last Premier League outing in dramatic fashion, conceding three goals late on at home to West Ham.

  • Barcelona is Barcelona - Umtiti not ready to leave Camp Nou despite Lyon interest Barcelona is Barcelona - Umtiti not ready to leave Camp Nou despite Lyon interest

    Samuel Umtiti has revealed he held talks with Lyon during the transfer window but did not want to leave Barcelona on bad terms.

    After a promising start at the club following his 2016 switch from Lyon - where he had spent the previous 14 years - Umtiti has struggled for form and fitness, particularly since the start of 2018-19.

    He has made 77 LaLiga appearances for the Catalan giants and ranks highly for interceptions since 2016-17 began, averaging 1.73 per game - behind only Jordi Alba (2.09) among those still at the club.

    A return to Lyon was on the cards during the close season but Umtiti would rather turn things around at Camp Nou first.

    "Everything was possible during the transfer window," he told Canal+. "Lyon is my club and my city. They gave me the opportunity to be seen.

    "There were discussions, but it was quick, nothing concrete. I had to be able to speak with a club. I'll be honest: Barcelona is Barcelona.

    "I don't want to leave Barcelona and even less like that."

    Umtiti has been blighted by persistent knee problems over the past couple of seasons and has yet to feature under new Barca boss Ronald Koeman.

    However, the 26-year-old is hopeful his injury issues are now a thing of the past after a change of lifestyle.

    "The last two years have been the most complicated of my career," he said. "Sometimes I got really sick of it. I relapsed each time, and with different injuries because I was trying to compensate.

    "It wasn't a knee problem, it was that I had a total imbalance. I had to start over. I stopped eating meat, fish and milk. I feel better, I sleep better. I have never felt so good physically.

    "My body has also changed. I have lost three kilos. I have recovered. I have never worked so hard. And I'm happy about it."

    Umtiti now intends to rival fellow France international Clement Lenglet for a regular starting spot alongside Gerard Pique in the heart of Barca's backline.

    "He occupies my position for Barcelona and the French team," he said. "It doesn't bother me at all. On the contrary - I encourage him and there is a very good understanding between us.

    "We could play together. But, I think he knows it: when I come back, I will do anything to get back to my place and to play. But there is no jealousy between us."

    Umtiti is not the only French player struggling to make an impact in Catalonia, with Antoine Griezmann and Ousmane Dembele also facing regular criticism.

    "We have all lived through complicated times," the defender said. "Everyone puts knives behind our backs and wants to kill us. But, between us, we try to laugh in order to smile again."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.