Simeone: Congratulations to Leipzig, Atletico went out fairly

By Sports Desk August 13, 2020

Diego Simeone had no complaints about the manner of Atletico Madrid's Champions League exit, insisting his team gave their all but RB Leipzig deserved victory.

Leipzig stunned Atletico with a 2-1 triumph in Lisbon on Thursday as Tyler Adams hit a late, deflected winner.

Joao Felix had earlier cancelled out Dani Olmo's opener from the penalty spot, but Atletico struggled to break down the Bundesliga side and were carved open too often going the other way.

Simeone simply offered his congratulations to Leipzig as they advanced to set up a semi-final meeting with Paris Saint-Germain.

"We gave it everything we had," he told Movistar. "It was difficult for us to win the duels and they were faster.

"It has been a long year, with those 60 days off. Then there was pressure coming back to the Champions League. We had one week off then back to training.

"We haven't been able to play the way we wanted. I liked Leipzig. They had great determination, enthusiasm and freshness. That cost us. There are no excuses.

"We gave our best and made it to the quarter-finals. We are going out fairly and we have to congratulate our opponents."

Related items

  • Luis Alberto signs new five-year deal with Lazio Luis Alberto signs new five-year deal with Lazio

    Lazio have signed talented attacking midfielder Luis Alberto to a new five-year contract.

    The 28-year-old joined from Liverpool in 2016 after struggling in England but has since developed into one of Serie A's most effective attacking players.

    Only Atalanta's Alejandro Gomez (16) claimed more assists than Luis Alberto's 15 in the league last season, while the Spain international also enjoyed an outstanding 2017-18, registering 25 goal involvements (11 scored, 14 assisted) in the top flight.

    Such attacking output had led to links with other clubs, most notably Everton and Sevilla, whose academy Luis Alberto is a product of.

    But, having qualified for Champions League football this term, Lazio have secured the future of the talented creator, tying him to the club until 2025.

  • Rumour Has It: Dortmund adamant over Sancho stay, Barcelona still want Depay Rumour Has It: Dortmund adamant over Sancho stay, Barcelona still want Depay

    Borussia Dortmund are reportedly maintaining a firm stance over Jadon Sancho, while Barcelona still want Memphis Depay.

    The Sancho transfer saga continues to dominate talk as Manchester United chase the Dortmund star.

    But the Bundesliga club are seemingly unmoved.

     

    TOP STORY – DORTMUND ADAMANT SANCHO WILL STAY

    Dortmund are adamant Sancho will not be sold this transfer window, according to Sky Sports.

    United have continued to be linked with the England international, who scored 17 goals and provided 16 assists in 32 Bundesliga games last season.

    However, Dortmund's asking price of £108million (€120m) has reportedly proven to be a stumbling block.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Late in the transfer window, there may still be movement at Barcelona. Sport reports Ronald Koeman still wants Lyon star Depay. It also says Ajax full-back Sergino Dest is close to signing, while Porto are trying to loan midfielder Riqui Puig. Meanwhile, Mundo Deportivo says Barca will make a new offer for Eric Garcia after Manchester City signed Benfica defender Ruben Dias.

    - Amid uncertainty over Luka Jovic's future at Real Madrid, AS reports LaLiga's champions want the forward to make a loan move. Jovic struggled in his first season at Madrid in 2019-20.

    - There could be more movement at Chelsea. Fabrizio Romano says the Premier League club are still looking at West Ham midfielder Declan Rice as their main target, but will first try to sell players.

    - Antonio Rudiger could be among the exits at Chelsea. Sky Sports reports Tottenham are interested in signing the defender.

    - Talk about Rhian Brewster's Liverpool future continues. The Sun says Sheffield United are offering £17m for the forward and are prepared to agree to a buy-back clause of around £40m. The Blades have failed to score in their first three Premier League games and are second bottom.

    - Lyon are reportedly chasing Milan midfielder Lucas Paqueta. L'Equipe claims the Ligue 1 club offered to take the 23-year-old on a one-year loan with an €18m purchase option, a deal which was rejected. However, it reports Lyon will return with an improved offer.

  • Arteta predicts 'busy' finish to transfer window, has no update on Aouar Arteta predicts 'busy' finish to transfer window, has no update on Aouar

    Mikel Arteta expects a busy finish to the transfer window, but the Arsenal manager had no update regarding Houssem Aouar.

    Arsenal have been heavily linked with a move for Lyon star Aouar ahead of the transfer window closing on October 5.

    Asked about Aouar after a 3-1 Premier League loss to Liverpool on Monday, Arteta had no update, but he predicted a frantic finish to the transfer period.

    "We don't have any news on new players and either with players that might leave the football club," he told a news conference.

    "It's a week to go, I think it's going to be really busy for other clubs because not much business has been done.

    "Let's see what happens."

    Arteta added: "I think it will be busy for the Premier League. Busy for us, I don't know how it is going to happen."

    Arsenal's loss to Liverpool was their first of the Premier League season and they sit fifth in the table.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.