Bayern are playing Barcelona, not just Messi - Flick

By Sports Desk August 13, 2020

Bayern Munich are making plans for Lionel Messi, but Hansi Flick is well aware of the threat of the rest of the Barcelona team in their Champions League quarter-final.

Bayern face Barca in Lisbon on Friday in a match the Bundesliga champions are expected to win, having been in dominant form in recent months.

But the Blaugrana have Messi in their ranks, the six-time Ballon d'Or winner seemingly determined to get his hands on a fifth European crown, the most recent of those coming in 2015.

Questions at Flick's pre-match news conference focused on the threat of Barca's number 10, yet the head coach was keen to remind reporters there will be more to the match than Messi.

"It's not Bayern Munich against Messi, but against Barcelona," he said. "Of course we have thought about how we will play against him.

"It is possible that we will play together to counter him as a team. We have to recognise the spaces, put him under pressure and try to win the one-on-one duels."

Flick added: "We have the necessary respect for Barcelona because they have been the dominant team in recent years. Many coaches and clubs have been inspired by Barca.

"They're nice to watch, the way they play, the way they train, their enthusiasm.

"Messi is not the only player who stands out. [Gerard] Pique, [Antoine] Griezmann, [Ivan] Rakitic and [Luis] Suarez are top players. [Marc-Andre] ter Stegen is a world-class goalkeeper.

"They have enormous quality and experience and we have to go against that as a team and bring our quality. We have a plan and hope that it works."

While opposite number Quique Setien suggested Robert Lewandowski was not in the same class as Messi, Flick refused to be drawn into a comparison between his talisman and Barca's.

"You can't compare the two players," he said. "Lewandowski is a world-class striker and has tremendous quality. For us, he is someone who guarantees goals but also creates goals.

"Messi has been by far the best footballer over the past few years. He's an exceptional player and I don't know if someone like that will come around again."

Teenage left-back Alphonso Davies has been one of the stars of the Champions League campaign so far but may now be the man tasked with marking Messi.

Team-mate Thomas Muller is determined not to leave the Canadian to face his mammoth task alone, though.

"Messi is in good shape, but you never defend him alone," Muller said. "My experience from the games in which I faced him was that it worked when the whole team was there.

"We have to act together against this individual quality. Alphonso Davies is also key here, but he is not alone."

Related items

  • Di Maria handed four-game ban for spitting at Marseille's Alvaro Di Maria handed four-game ban for spitting at Marseille's Alvaro

    Paris Saint-Germain will be without Angel Di Maria for four matches after the playmaker was suspended for spitting at Marseille defender Alvaro.

    Di Maria has been handed the punishment for his part in the stoppage-time fracas which occurred in Le Classique on September 13.

    Neymar, who accused Alvaro of racism - something the OM player denied, Leandro Paredes and Layvin Kurzawa were all sent off for PSG, while Dario Benedetto and Jordan Amavi saw red for Marseille at Parc des Princes.

    While Neymar has served his suspension, Di Maria will miss four games for the Ligue 1 champions.

    However, Thomas Tuchel will be able to call on the Argentine for the clash with Reims on Sunday, with the sanction not coming into force until September 29.

    Di Maria will be absent for PSG's Ligue 1 fixtures against Angers, Nimes, Dijon and Nantes.

    After losing their first two games of the campaign, PSG have claimed maximum points from their last two fixtures, seeing off Metz and Nice respectively, with Kylian Mbappe having returned from his coronavirus-enforced quarantine.

  • Frank de Boer named as Ronald Koeman's Netherlands successor Frank de Boer named as Ronald Koeman's Netherlands successor

    Frank de Boer has been appointed as the new Netherlands head coach, the Royal Dutch Football Association (KNVB) confirmed on Wednesday.

    Ronald Koeman left his post as national team boss last month to take over at Barcelona following the dismissal of Quique Setien.

    De Boer, who made 112 Netherlands appearances and played at two World Cups for his country, has signed a two-year deal that takes him through to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

    The 50-year-old enjoyed a promising start to his coaching career, leading Ajax to four straight Eredivisie titles between 2011 and 2014.

    However, his appointment may come as somewhat of a surprise given a poor track record since departing the Amsterdam club.

    An ill-fated 85-day spell as Inter coach was followed by a forgettable 10-week stay in charge of Crystal Palace.

    De Boer did win the U.S. Open Cup during an 18-month stint at MLS side Atlanta United but he departed the team two months ago following an indifferent start to the season.

    Previously, De Boer worked for the national team as assistant coach to Bert van Marwijk at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa where Netherlands were beaten by Spain in the final.

    His first assignment comes in the friendly match against Mexico on October 7 before the Nations League double header against Bosnia-Herzegovina and Italy.

    Koeman was originally scheduled to remain in the post through Euro 2020 but tournament was rescheduled due to the coronavirus pandemic and he opted not to pass up the chance to take over at Barca.

  • Ansu Fati takes Barcelona's number 22 shirt and has buy-out clause raised to €400m Ansu Fati takes Barcelona's number 22 shirt and has buy-out clause raised to €400m

    Ansu Fati has officially become a member of Barcelona's first-team squad following a brilliant breakthrough campaign, with his buy-out clause raised to €400million.

    The winger will wear the number 22, which had been left vacant following Arturo Vidal's departure to Inter.

    He had previously been given the number 31 shirt, but did not officially count as a first-team player despite making 33 appearances in all competitions in 2019-20.

    Barca have also confirmed that the teenager's buy-out clause has gone up from €170m to €400m now he is a first-team player, as was agreed when Fati's deal with the club was renewed in December.

    The 17-year-old scored eight goals in total last season for Barca, and has won two caps for Spain – putting in a superb display in a 4-0 rout over Ukraine in his first international start earlier in September.

    Fati scored his penultimate LaLiga goal of last season in a 4-1 win over Villarreal in July. It was the club's 9,000th competitive strike.

    Having missed the first two games of the Ronald Koeman era due to a hip injury, Fati started against Elche in the Joan Gamper Trophy match.

    Barca, who are in the process of overhauling their squad after allowing Vidal, Arthur, Nelson Semedo and Ivan Rakitic to leave – with Luis Suarez on the verge of a move to Atletico Madrid too – start their LaLiga campaign against Villarreal on Sunday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.