BREAKING NEWS: Pirlo named new Juventus head coach

By Sports Desk August 08, 2020

Juventus have appointed Andrea Pirlo as their new head coach on a two-year deal.

The former Italy midfielder took charge as the Under-23s boss at his old club just nine days ago but has now been named as Maurizio Sarri's successor.

Sarri was sacked on Saturday after Juve were knocked out of the Champions League on away goals at the last-16 stage following a 2-2 aggregate draw with Lyon.

Ex-Juve player and current Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane emerged as one of the initial favourites for the role, along with ex-Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino and Lazio coach Simone Inzaghi.

There was also speculation Italy boss Roberto Mancini could be offered the post, but the club has promoted Pirlo instead.

"From today he will be the coach for Juventus, as the club has decided to entrust him with the technical leadership of the first team, after having already selected him for Juventus Under-23s," a statement read.

"Today's choice is based on the belief that Pirlo has what it takes to lead from his debut on the bench, an expert and talented squad to pursue new successes."

Pirlo left Juve in 2015 after the Bianconeri, who had been chasing the treble, were beaten 3-1 in the Champions League final by Barcelona.

He spent two years in MLS with New York City before calling time on his playing career.

The 2006 World Cup winner is a six-time Serie A champion, having won two with Milan and four with Juve. He won two Champions Leagues as a Rossoneri player, in 2003 and 2007.

Related items

  • Arteta suggests Ozil might struggle to break into 'evolving' Arsenal side Arteta suggests Ozil might struggle to break into 'evolving' Arsenal side

    Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta suggested that it will be difficult for Mesut Ozil to force his way into an "evolving" Gunners side. 

    Ozil's contract expires at the end of the season and the 31-year-old's future has been the subject of intense speculation following his refusal to take a pay cut amid the coronavirus pandemic. 

    Arsenal's squad initially declined to take a 12.5 per cent wage reduction for 12 months but after Arteta reportedly intervened, the players – bar Ozil – agreed to accept the club's proposal.

    Ozil stated he did not agree to the pay cut as he felt the club forced the players into making a snap judgement.

    The former Germany international has not featured for the first team since the Premier League game with West Ham on March 7, and was again absent as Arsenal booked their spot in the EFL Cup fourth round with a 2-0 win over Leicester City on Wednesday. 

    Arteta batted away a string of questions regarding Ozil's future from journalists after the game, but the Spaniard did suggest he is likely to find it difficult to force his way into Arsenal's starting XI. 

    "The team is evolving; you can see the level they are achieving," he told a news conference. "This is where we are at the moment. We want to evolve more and play better and compete better.

    "I'm really happy with the performance here, how difficult they're making things for the coaching staff to select the squad.

    "You can see that the players we are changing, we are using, it's very difficult every week, not just for Mesut but for some other players as well, to make the squad. Every week we try to pick the right players.

    "It's difficult for others as well that aren't involved in the Premier League and didn't play tonight either. We have a squad of 26, 27 players at the moment and we can't give playing time to all of them.

    "I try to select the players that are, in my opinion, in better condition."

    Arteta made seven changes to the side that beat West Ham in the Premier League at the weekend, with an own goal from Christian Fuchs and a late second from Eddie Nketiah sealing the win. 

    Arsenal were good value for their victory and Arteta said he was pleased with his team's approach to what could have been a tricky fixture. 

    "I'm really happy with the performance; first of all the attitude and the way we approached the game mentally," he added.

    "The senior players took the lead straight away and I could see that they came here to win the game and after we're so happy with all our young players, the way they're developing and the way they played."

  • Lampard: The first of many great nights for Chelsea's hat-trick hero Havertz Lampard: The first of many great nights for Chelsea's hat-trick hero Havertz

    Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard promised Kai Havertz's three-goal haul against Barnsley will be the first of many impressive displays from the club's new signing.

    Havertz put in some underwhelming performances in his first two Premier League appearances, but came to the fore with a hat-trick in Wednesday's 6-0 EFL Cup demolition of Championship side Barnsley at Stamford Bridge.

    The Germany international star also played a part in another goal as Lampard's side made light work of Barnsley in London midweek.

    Lampard has consistently urged patience with the 21-year-old, and suggested his treble showing is merely a sign of what is to come.

    "I was delighted with Kai and everything of the night that I wanted from him," Lampard told a news conference.

    "It was a great exercise for him, another game to see how we want to work off the ball, but also have freedom on the ball and combinations.

    "It's the first of many great nights for him."

    Tammy Abraham played ahead of Havertz and opened the scoring, with Ross Barkley and Olivier Giroud also getting in on the act.

    In defence, Lampard handed a debut to former Paris Saint-Germain captain Thiago Silva, while Ben Chilwell came on for Havertz midway through the second half.

    "It's exciting for us," Lampard said of Silva's debut, which lasted just over an hour.

    "He has just had a weeks training with us. But he gave something off for us with a leader of authority. At the minute, the fact he can't speak the language doesn't matter too much."

    Antonio Rudiger and Ruben Loftus-Cheek were both left out of Chelsea's squad, and Lampard acknowledged the duo could move on before the transfer window closes if it suits Chelsea.

    "They weren't in the squad and that was just a choice," Lampard said. "There may be movement, but don't read too much in to them not being in the squad. It will have to be right or the club."

  • Barcelona sell Luis Suarez to Atletico Barcelona sell Luis Suarez to Atletico

    Barcelona have sold striker Luis Suarez to LaLiga rivals Atletico Madrid for €6million, the Blaugrana have confirmed.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.