Bale out of Man City clash but suspended Ramos is included in Real Madrid travelling squad

By Sports Desk August 05, 2020

Gareth Bale has been left out of the Real Madrid squad for the Champions League trip to Manchester City.

The Wales star was not named in the 24-man travelling group, but captain Sergio Ramos, who is suspended for the last-16 second leg, was included.

James Rodriguez was also left out, along with striker Mariano Diaz, who tested positive for coronavirus last week and has been self-isolating.

Eden Hazard is in the squad despite concerns over his fitness following an ankle injury, while Luka Jovic, who has started just one Champions League game for Madrid, is also included.

Madrid are trailing 2-1 from the first leg at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Bale's stock under head coach Zinedine Zidane appears to have dropped to its lowest point in 2020, the former Tottenham forward having featured just twice since the Spanish season resumed in June.

Team-mate Casemiro insisted this week that Bale still has the support of Madrid's coaches and players despite going through "not the best time in his career".

Bale has caused some consternation in Spain for his attitude on the sidelines in recent weeks. He has often appeared bored during games and was distant from some of the title celebrations when Madrid were crowned champions last month.

However, his agent, Jonathan Barnett, told BBC Sport that the player "likes living in Madrid and he is going nowhere", and is keen to see out the remaining two years on his contract.

Related items

  • BREAKING NEWS: Messi and Ronaldo to meet in Champions League group stage BREAKING NEWS: Messi and Ronaldo to meet in Champions League group stage

    Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo will do battle in the 2020/21 Champions League after Barcelona and Juventus were drawn in the same group.

  • Southgate backs dropped England duo Foden and Greenwood to bounce back Southgate backs dropped England duo Foden and Greenwood to bounce back

    England boss Gareth Southgate has told Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood to make the most of a "period of reflection" after dropping both for the games against Wales, Belgium and Denmark.

    A breach of coronavirus isolation rules while in Iceland last month has proven costly for Manchester City playmaker Foden and Manchester United forward Greenwood, but the England door will be open to them in future.

    That means both could still play a key role for the Three Lions at next year's delayed Euro 2020 finals.

    Foden, 20, and Greenwood, who turned 19 on Thursday, appeared to be shown in a Snapchat video posted by one of the women they were said to be socialising with at England's team hotel in Iceland, a meeting forbidden under the country's strict rules in response to COVID-19.

    Both were sent home and missed a subsequent game against Denmark, with Southgate taking a dim view of the episode.

    Speaking as he named a 30-man squad on Thursday for the October triple-header, Southgate was asked about the conspicuous exclusion of Foden and Greenwood.

    He said: "They're two very talented players. I think with that happened there's two parts: one is we have to send a message to all the players in our teams at every age level that that sort of thing isn't how we do things with England, but then we also have to rehabilitate these two boys.

    "Young people will make mistakes. I do a lot of work with the Prince's Trust [charity] who are brilliant at helping youngsters to get back on their feet when things haven't gone right.

    "These lads have suffered now enough. We didn't think it was right - I think they need this period of reflection - but then that gives them the opportunity to get back on their feet with their clubs, enjoy their football again.

    "They're both starting to play well again which is important. Then I can speak to them after this camp and it will just be about their form as to whether they're selected next time round."

    Harry Maguire was recalled, the Manchester United captain having been picked by England and then dropped ahead of last month's games after he was originally found guilty of assault following an incident on holiday in Mykonos, Greece.

    Maguire's legal representatives lodged an appeal, meaning the court's initial verdict was nullified and a full retrial will now take place at a more senior court, with Southgate saying there was "no reason we couldn't pick him."

    England play Wales in a friendly on October 8 before Nations League games against Belgium three days later and Denmark on October 14, with all the fixtures being played at Wembley.

  • Pogba returns to Deschamps' squad as Camavinga retains France place Pogba returns to Deschamps' squad as Camavinga retains France place

    Paul Pogba is set to make his first appearance for France since June 2019 after he was included in Didier Deschamps' 24-man squad for the October internationals, with Eduardo Camavinga keeping his place.

    Pogba, who last featured for Les Bleus in a Euro 2020 qualifier against Andorra 16 months ago, was due to be included in France's squad for games against Sweden and Croatia in September, but tested positive for coronavirus.

    Rennes teenager Camavinga was a surprise replacement, and went on to make his debut in a 4-2 win over Croatia on September 8.

    The 17-year-old has once again been selected by Deschamps, who was able to welcome back Manchester United star Pogba.

    "He knows the place he has in the group," Deschamps said of Pogba in a news conference on Thursday.

    "He had a very complicated last season. I prefer to have him there, available."

    Camavinga also drew the praise of France's World Cup-winning coach.

    "He has the ability to do things very well. Especially in the use of the ball," Deschamps said. "He is not at all rushed on the ball. He has everything going for him."

    France face Ukraine in a friendly on October 7, before a Nations League double-header against defending champions Portugal and World Cup 2018 runners up Croatia.

    Deschamps, however, insists he has no complaints over a pile up of fixtures after a 10-month absence from international football due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

    "I'm not going to say that there are too many games. We went 10 months without a game," Deschamps added. "There will be rotation. All the players will have a longer playing time."

    Also included in the squad is Lyon playmaker Houssem Aouar, who also tested positive for coronavirus prior to the September fixtures.

    Aouar has been strongly linked with Arsenal, with Deschamps acknowledging the youngster may not join up with the squad on Monday – or could leave the camp – if a deadline day move is being pushed through.

    France squad in full:

    Hugo Lloris (Tottenham), Mike Maignan (Lille), Steve Mandanda (Marseille); Lucas Digne (Everton), Leo Dubois (Lyon), Lucas Hernandez (Bayern Munich), Presnel Kimpembe (Paris Saint-Germain), Clement Lenglet (Barcelona), Benjamin Pavard (Bayern Munich), Dayot Upamecano (RB Leipzig), Raphael Varane (Real Madrid); Eduardo Camavinga (Rennes), N'Golo Kante (Chelsea), Steven Nzonzi (Rennes), Paul Pogba (Manchester United), Adrien Rabiot (Juventus), Corentin Tolisso (Bayern Munich), Houssem Aouar (Lyon); Wissam Ben Yedder (Monaco), Kingsley Coman (Bayern Munich), Olivier Giroud (Chelsea), Antoine Griezmann (Barcelona), Anthony Martial (Manchester United), Kylian Mbappe (PSG).

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.