Man City signing Ferran Torres: 'Crooked' Valencia staff trying to smear my image

By Sports Desk August 05, 2020

Ferran Torres believes "crooked" Valencia employees are attempting to smear his image following his move to Manchester City.

Torres joined City for an initial £21.1million (€23m) on Tuesday, putting pen to paper on a five-year contract at the Etihad Stadium to replace the departed Leroy Sane.

The Spain Under-21 international acknowledged he was not leaving Valencia on the best of terms having failed to see eye to eye with certain members of the media and the club's hierarchy.

"On the one hand, [I am] excited and happy, but at the same time sad because I'm leaving my club. Valencia game me everything and trained me since I was seven," Torres told Marca.

"I've had hard times there and that's why I ended up leaving, but I want to emphasise that I'm very grateful to Valencia and will always support them.

"The problem is that there are people within the club and a few journalists who are determined to damage my image. I don't want to leave on bad terms because I'm a Valencia fan.

"When the club decided to put me in the first team I began to come under pressure and criticism. It wasn't just me, but they wanted to harm my representatives and my family.

"The same people who now campaign against me said then that I would fail, which hurt a lot at 17. But I have to say that there were other journalists who treated me with love and respect. There are, though, club employees working to smear my image.

"I'm sure I can [return in future]. I refuse to think otherwise. Even if there are crooked people. A lot of them won't be there in a few years and I'll have shown that I deserve to return."

Torres began to consider leaving Valencia last year after being told he was the "fifth winger" in the squad, but he still managed to establish himself as a first-team regular in 2019-20.

He had been open to staying at Mestalla until the club failed to agree to certain conditions around a potential renewal.

"One was for [owner] Peter Lim to be involved so that I knew I was important, another was to be captain as I had seen other clubs do, [Atletico Madrid] with Fernando Torres, for example, and the third was to be one of the highest paid players. I wanted two of the three, but none were fulfilled," said Torres.

The rapid winger made his senior debut for Valencia as a 17-year-old in 2017 but struggled to forge a bond with skipper Dani Parejo.

Asked if it was true his relationship with Parejo is frosty, Torres explained: "After three years I'm more mature and mentally stronger. But at 17, no.

"He's a great player but I never had a relationship with him. When I joined the first team at 17, a number of weeks passed before he said a simple 'good morning' to me. He wasn't a good captain with me.

"The worst of it came after Marcelino's departure when [Lee] Kang-in and I were seen as culprits in the dressing room and they stopped talking to us for weeks."

Related items

  • Vinicius revels in match-winning Madrid cameo Vinicius revels in match-winning Madrid cameo

    Vinicius Junior felt his introduction alongside Marco Asensio turned Real Madrid's LaLiga meeting with Real Valladolid in the champions' favour.

    Brazilian Vinicius grabbed the only goal in Wednesday's 1-0 win after arriving from the bench in the 58th minute.

    Madrid had dominated up to that stage, but Luka Jovic – the man Vinicius replaced – missed two big chances and had a third well saved by Roberto.

    With Jovic continuing to toil amid reports of interest from Manchester United, Zinedine Zidane turned to his bench and made a triple change, with Dani Carvajal joining Vinicius and Asensio.

    Although the pattern of the game did not vastly change, Vinicius found the net and later hailed Zidane's substitutions.

    "We are all happy with the game," the 20-year-old said. "The first half was more complicated, but Zidane changed the system in the second.

    "He brought Asensio and I on and we were able to change the game."

    It was a second straight win for Madrid, although they were similarly made to work hard in a 3-2 success at Real Betis.

    "It was a different game from Betis," Vinicius said. "[Valladolid] put a lot of people behind the ball, but the important thing is that we won both games."

    Jovic's struggles were further evidence of a slow start for Madrid's attack this season, having drawn 0-0 at Real Sociedad in their LaLiga opener.

    But Vinicius is encouraged by the way the team's defence is performing to keep their misfiring team-mates in matches.

    "It's the beginning of the season – we haven't play friendlies and we had little time to train," he said.

    "We know that if we do not concede, we have many options in attack. We continue working with Zidane to improve up front. The system depends on the players and each opponent."

  • Solskjaer 'never surprised' by Mata quality as midfielder reaches 50 goals for Man Utd Solskjaer 'never surprised' by Mata quality as midfielder reaches 50 goals for Man Utd

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is "never surprised" to see Juan Mata take control of matches after the midfielder scored one and set up another in Manchester United's 3-0 EFL Cup victory over Brighton and Hove Albion.

    Mata picked out Scott McTominay from a free-kick for United's opener in Wednesday's last-16 tie before profiting from a brilliant Donny van de Beek assist to bring up his 50th goal for the club.

    The 32-year-old also scored in the third-round win over Luton Town and has now been directly involved in 13 goals in his last 15 starts for United.

    He has not been part of Solskjaer's squad for the opening two rounds of Premier League fixtures, but the United head coach is happy with the Spaniard's latest contribution in the cup competitions.

    "It was a great performance by Juan Mata," Solskjaer told Sky Sports. "He was the one who got on the ball and calmed us down. He was composed. 

    "He more or less creates the first goal himself. I am never surprised when he plays like this.

    "He has been around the block and knows football. He does his work and is at the back stick to shield the ball from Dan Burn at a corner in the second half."

    Victory for United was their third in a row in all competitions, four days on from snatching a last-gasp 3-2 win over Brighton at the same venue in the Premier League.

    Paul Pogba rounded off the scoring for United 11 minutes after being brought off the bench in a morale-boosting win for Solskjaer's side following some below-par performances to begin the campaign.

    "We needed the first 20-25 minutes to get our confidence and get on the ball. We have worked on set-pieces. You keep a clean sheet and this is important for a back four," he said.

    "We wanted to bring on Pogba for 25-30 minutes for a workout. The game was there for him. Paul and Marcus [Rashford] found some good positions."

    United continue to be linked with Jadon Sancho - left out of Borussia Dortmund's squad for Wednesday's 3-2 DFL-Supercup loss to Bayern Munich because of illness - with five days of the transfer window to go.

    And while remaining tight-lipped on speculation that United have had another bid knocked back, Solskjaer is confident his bosses are doing all they can to bring in additional quality.

    "I can't give you any news," he said when asked directly about the Sancho situation. "We are working with what we have got. We have a big squad. 

    "We changed 10 players from Saturday. If there is any update, we will let you know. I don't comment on other teams' players. I can't concern myself with other clubs. 

    "I know the club is working well and hard to have a strong squad as possible. Sometimes speculation is there and we can't control that."

  • Guardiola confirms Zinchenko injury, bids farewell to Otamendi Guardiola confirms Zinchenko injury, bids farewell to Otamendi

    Oleksandr Zinchenko is out for "two or three weeks" with an injury, according to Manchester City head coach Pep Guardiola, who may now be forced into bringing in additional cover at left-back.

    Utility player Zinchenko, who has yet to play a single minute for City in 2020-21, provided cover at left-back last season while Benjamin Mendy battled with injuries.

    Mendy is fit again and featured in City's 3-0 EFL Cup victory over Burnley on Wednesday, but Guardiola confirmed after the game that Zinchenko has suffered a set-back in his recovery from a muscle injury.

    "Yesterday, or two days ago, he was injured again," Guardiola told reporters.

    "He was recovered, but he got injured again and is out for two or three weeks."

    Guardiola also paid tribute to Nicolas Otamendi after the Argentine defender joined Benfica, with Ruben Dias coming the other way.

    Otamendi made 210 appearances during his five-year spell at City, scoring 11 goals and lifting the Premier League trophy twice.

    After arriving at City in the Manuel Pellegrini era, Otamendi went on to thrive under Guardiola, who picked out the 2017-18 season as the 32-year-old's best.

    "Well, he was part of our incredible success and consistency is for Nico," Guardiola told reporters.

    "He is an incredibly nice guy and especially the season we won the Premier League with 100 points, he was the key player for us.

    "In the back four he was incredible. We thought we needed a young squad. He was more than 30.

    "I wish him and his family all the best. My absolute gratitude for how he helped me from day one and his desire to improve. He will always be part of my best memories here in Manchester."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.