Real Madrid striker Mariano Diaz tests positive for coronavirus

By Sports Desk July 28, 2020

Real Madrid have confirmed striker Mariano Diaz has tested positive for coronavirus just 10 days ahead of their Champions League clash with Manchester City.

The 26-year-old is "in perfect health" but is now self-isolating at home after being tested on Monday, the LaLiga champions said in a statement. 

The senior squad only resumed team training on Tuesday after having taken a short holiday following the end of the league season in Spain. 

Zinedine Zidane's side are due to face City at the Etihad Stadium on August 7 in the second leg of the last-16 tie, with Pep Guardiola's men leading 2-1 on aggregate. 

Mariano is unlikely to have been involved in the game, having only made seven appearances for Madrid this season.

The news comes just days after the United Kingdom imposed a 14-day quarantine on people arriving from Spain amid concerns about a spike in COVID-19 cases, which Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez described as "unjust".

Regions such as Catalonia and Aragon have seen a worrying increase in infections, leading to the UK government to advise against all non-essential travel to Spain, including the Balearic and Canary Islands.

Hugh Elliot, the UK's ambassador to Spain, told La Sexta that Madrid players and staff are exempt from the quarantine measures and would be "inside a bubble in order to reduce the risk" of transmission.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Sancho's Man Utd transfer expected to be completed Rumour Has It: Sancho's Man Utd transfer expected to be completed

    Will he or won't he?

    That's the question regarding Jadon Sancho and a possible move to Manchester United.

    United, however, are reportedly bullish about their chances of prising the England international from Borussia Dortmund.

     

    TOP STORY – SOLSKJAER CONFIDENT IN SANCHO PURSUIT

    Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has told Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho he expects the blockbuster transfer to be completed, according to Dagbladet.

    United have so far been unable to prise Sancho from Dortmund, who refuse to budge on their £108million (€120m) asking price, with the transfer window set to close on October 5.

    However, Solskjaer appears confident of landing his number one target.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Barcelona could announce the signing of Ajax full-back Sergino Dest on Tuesday, reports Fabrizio Romano. Bayern Munich are also trying to prise the United States international from Amsterdam.

    - The Telegraph says Tottenham are eyeing Bournemouth forward Josh King, who was previously linked to United.

    United are closing in on Porto full-back Alex Telles. Romano claims personal terms have been agreed, with final details and agents commission remaining as United and Porto negotiate a fee.

    - The Guardian reports Tottenham have not given up on signing Inter centre-back Milan Skriniar. Inter are holding out for £55m (€60m) but Spurs are only prepared to pay between €30m-€35m. Napoli's Nikola Maksimovic could reportedly replace Skriniar in Milan.

    - According to L'Equipe, Leeds United are nearing a deal to sign Bayern midfielder Michael Cuisance. Leeds have been unable to meet Udinese's demands for star Rodrigo De Paul.

    Marcelo Brozovic has realised Inter want to sell him as the Croatia international eyes an exit, reports Calciomercato. It comes as Inter chase Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante, who has since been linked to United.

    - Romano says Milan are confident of completing a deal for Bodo/Glimt star Jens Petter Hauge, who impressed during the Europa League qualifier at San Siro.

  • Man City sign Ruben Dias as Otamendi joins Benfica Man City sign Ruben Dias as Otamendi joins Benfica

    Manchester City have signed centre-back Ruben Dias from Benfica in a transfer worth an initial £62million (€68m) with Nicolas Otamendi heading the opposite way in a separate deal.

    Portugal international Dias, 23, has been a regular for Primeira Liga side Benfica since emerging through the academy ahead of the 2017-18 campaign.

    Dias has been linked with a number of big-name clubs around Europe, including Manchester United, but rivals City have now reached an agreement with Benfica.

    The Portuguese side confirmed the news on their official website on Sunday, shortly before announcing a €15m (£13.67m) deal is in place for Otamendi, who must now undergo a medical.

    City will pay an additional €3.6m (£2.1m) in add-ons for Dias should he trigger various performance-related clauses.

    Dias captained Benfica in Saturday's victory over Moreirense and hugged his team-mates and sporting director Rui Costa as he left the field at full-time.

    "It was a special moment [with Costa] and I think everyone already knows why," Dias said after the game. "Obviously, people leave their mark on you, and the club also.

    "Without a doubt, it was very special for me. I am very happy. It was very important to consecrate this game with a goal, it was very special for me."

    Dias' arrival ends City manager Pep Guardiola's search for a right-sided centre-back, 16 months after long-serving Vincent Kompany departed the Etihad Stadium for Anderlecht.

    Otamendi – who played for Benfica's Portuguese rivals Porto between 2010 and 2014 – spent five years with City and started 31 games in all competitions last term.

    The 32-year-old won two Premier League titles, four EFL Cup trophies, two Community Shields and the FA Cup during his time in Manchester, having arrived from Valencia in 2015.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Man City sign Ruben Dias as Otamendi joins Benfica BREAKING NEWS: Man City sign Ruben Dias as Otamendi joins Benfica

    Manchester City have signed centre-back Ruben Dias from Benfica in a transfer worth an initial £62million (€68m) with Nicolas Otamendi heading the opposite way in a separate deal.

    Portugal international Dias, 23, has been a regular for Primeira Liga side Benfica since emerging through the academy ahead of the 2017-18 campaign.

    Dias has been linked with a number of big-name clubs around Europe, including Manchester United, but rivals City have now reached an agreement with Benfica.

    The Portuguese side confirmed the news on their official website on Sunday, shortly before announcing a €15m (£13.67m) deal is in place for Otamendi.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.