Conte sees positive signs for Inter despite injury problems

By Sports Desk July 18, 2020

Antonio Conte pointed to injuries hampering Inter during his first season in charge as they aim to close the gap on leaders Juventus at the top of Serie A.

The Nerazzurri have recorded back-to-back victories to move up to second in the table, six points behind the reigning champions ahead of Sunday's trip to Roma.

Conte's side can cut the deficit in half to keep the pressure on Juve, who play Lazio on Monday, though Inter's Scudetto bid during a truncated campaign has been hurt by key players missing extended periods of time.

Alexis Sanchez has been plagued by injuries since arriving on loan from Manchester United, while Stefano Sensi has figured sparingly in 2020 due to a number of issues, the latest being a pulled thigh muscle.

However, despite having to cope with depleted attacking resources at times, Conte has been pleased how others have seized their opportunities.

"This is something we've unfortunately had to deal since the start of the season," the Inter boss told the club's website when asked about injuries. 

"After a bad injury to Sanchez's ankle, we were without Alexis for four to five months, while it's also been a tough year in midfield due to recurring injuries.

"Just thinking about Sensi, he's a player who we've had for so little time, or the bad injuries to (Roberto) Gagliardini and (Nicolo) Barella, (Matias) Vecino too, who has had constant trouble with his knee.

"These are two areas of the pitch that have caused both me and us problems, but looking at the glass as half full, those who have played have shown and are continuing to show big responses.

"I'm talking about players like Gagliardini, (Marcelo) Brozovic and Borja Valero, then we've got (Christian) Eriksen, whose settling in. I think that there are definitely positives to be taken."

Romelu Lukaku was not involved in the 4-0 win over SPAL on Thursday but could return to face Roma, who are in need of points in the battle to finish fifth.

Conte is concerned that those who featured last time out have had little time to recover before the clash at the Stadio Olimpico, though the SPAL performance demonstrated the improvements made by the squad.

"We're talking about a well-equipped side, a squad full of excellent players and a great coach," the former Chelsea boss said. 

"It's a very difficult game that arrives just two days after our away game with SPAL, so we've had to deal with the travelling and one day less to recover.

"But from a positive point of view, we're full of enthusiasm after seeing that the work we're doing is starting to be recognised."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Ruben Dias to join Man City, Barca reject €150m offer for Fati Rumour Has It: Ruben Dias to join Man City, Barca reject €150m offer for Fati

    Ruben Dias is on the verge of leaving Benfica.

    The Portugal international is wanted by Pep Guardiola's Manchester City.

    Could he help City dethrone Premier League champions Liverpool?

     

    TOP STORY – DIAS SET FOR CITY

    Benfica defender Ruben Dias will join Manchester City, according to journalist Fabrizio Romano.

    Pep Guardiola has been eyeing defensive reinforcements following Nathan Ake's arrival from Bournemouth, and now Dias is set to swap Benfica for City.

    As part of the deal, veteran centre-back Nicolas Otamendi will move in the opposite direction.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Marca says Barcelona rejected a €150million offer for teenage sensation Ansu Fati from an unnamed club. Manchester United have been linked previously.

    Sergino Dest will travel to Camp Nou to complete his move to Barca, reports RAC1. The Ajax full-back is also wanted by Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich.

    Milan and Roma are both interested in signing Norwich City right-back Max Aarons, says Sky Sports. The Englishman has previously been linked to Barca and Bayern.

    - According to Sportitalia, West Ham are in talks with Serie A holders Juventus for defender Daniele Rugani.

    - Lyon want €50million (£46m) for in-demand star Houssem Aouar amid interest from Arsenal, claims RMC Sport. Paris Saint-Germain, City and Chelsea have also been linked.

  • Inter need to improve! Conte's warning after seven-goal Fiorentina classic Inter need to improve! Conte's warning after seven-goal Fiorentina classic

    Antonio Conte enjoyed seeing his substitutions pay off as Inter claimed a roller coaster 4-3 win over Fiorentina in Serie A, but warned championships are not won with cavalier football.

    Inter came from behind with two goals in the final five minutes of a wild game in their season opener against Fiorentina at San Siro on Saturday.

    Franck Ribery was outstanding for Fiorentina and teed up two goals in the second half, with substitute Dusan Vlahovic squandering a chance to give the visitors a 4-2 lead after another exceptional piece of play from the veteran Frenchman.

    Ribery was hauled off after 83 minutes, with Fiorentina taking the chance to give him a rest, but the Viola were then rocked by late goals from Romelu Lukaku and Danilo D'Ambrosio that earned 2019-20 Europa League runners-up Inter all three points.

    Inter head coach Conte sent on Achraf Hakimi and Alexis Sanchez, and it was their crosses that led to the late goals. Like Hakimi, former Barcelona player Arturo Vidal was introduced off the bench for a Nerazzurri debut in the second half.

    Conte said via Inter's website: "The changes brought benefits. I am happy and the guys know it. It will be a long and tiring season. There will be room for everyone and everyone will be needed.

    "The three points are important, we have had many chances and we found the way to goal four times.

    "This is the positive aspect but at the same time we cannot concede three goals like this."

    The former Juventus and Italy boss said Inter lacked the right balance between defence and attack.

    "In this respect we were not careful and we need to improve," Conte said. "If you want to play high-level championships, balance is the basis of everything."

    Conte also saw signs from Christian Eriksen that the former Tottenham midfielder could have a big role to play this season, having struggled to adapt to Serie A last term.

    "Compared to when he arrived he has increased the engine revs, he is playing in his ideal position," Conte said.

    "I think he had a good game. We are working with him because we know he has important qualities.

    "I have faith in him, he is a guy who trains very well and makes himself available to the team. I hope he will soon be able to strike the spark that will take him to the maximum."

  • TTFA seeks to rescind withdrawal of case against FIFA - vows to take suspension to CAS TTFA seeks to rescind withdrawal of case against FIFA - vows to take suspension to CAS

    The embattled Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) William Wallace-led executive has sought permission to reverse the withdrawal of proceedings, in the case brought against FIFA, currently before the T&T High Court.

    Earlier this week, a TTFA membership meeting that was held saw its membership unofficially vote to cease the TTFA action against FIFA in the court.  Wallace and his executive reluctantly agreed, and action was taken to withdraw the suit before the court on Wednesday.  The body, however, missed the deadline to withdraw the lawsuit by two minutes and were as a result suspended by FIFA.

    Originally, the TFFA had been given until September 16 to withdraw the action, but FIFA had given a further extension until the 23rd

    In explaining its reasons for choosing to suspend the TTFA, FIFA on Thursday said “The suspension was prompted by the former leadership of the TTFA lodging a claim before (the TT High Court) in order to contest the decision of the FIFA Council to appoint a normalisation committee for the TTFA. This course of action was in direct breach of article 59 of the FIFA Statutes, which expressly prohibits recourse to ordinary courts unless specifically provided for in the FIFA regulations.”

    According to Keith Look Loy, a former member of Wallaces' TTFA executive, the reason for returning the case to the court is in order to challenge the FIFA suspension at the CAS.

     “We filed an injunction at the CAS against the suspension. But to ensure we had legal standing to do so, we had to have a legal matter before the local courts. Had the case been withdrawn from the court, there would be no legal standing in the local high court,” Look Loy told the Trinidad and Tobago Newsday.

    “There would be no legal standing because they have no case before the court, which means they have accepted FIFA’s imposition of the normalisation committee. We do not accept this and thus had to withdraw the withdrawal application to file such an injunction against FIFA.”

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.